Baldy Bowl Trail to Mount San Antonio

Baldy Bowl Trail to Mount San Antonio is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Turn right onto Mt. Baldy Road (stop sign). After 7.2 miles you pass the Angles National Forest Mt. Baldy Visitor Center in Mt. Baldy Village. Turn right on Mt Ave. Continue a few miles up to Manker Flats.

Beautiful views! Several spots to set up camp after the ski hut. Only a couple water sources in early July (at ski hut) you can find water/creek information in the town of Mt Baldy at the visitor center entrance.

Enjoyable summer hike on a weekday in June. Left at 8:30 in the morning and only met 5 hikers until reaching the summit. As others suggested, hiking poles are most definitely recommended- I went without. The hike is strenuous particularly the section where the brown trail marking poles are found about one half mile
From the top.

I am a 57 year old in very good condition but not a frequent hiker and not used to the altitude. Great day but challenging. Definitely need very good hiking shoes and highly recommend poles.

Excellent views the whole way up

Excellent day with my lady and pup. Monday is my new favorite baldy day. No crowds at all.

Great views & a decent workout. No snow left up there. Coming down I wish I had poles for the first mile or so as it's steep and very dry/loose dirt/gravel surface. We slid down some sections like we were basically riding a skateboard. The sound of the waterfall lets you know when you're almost back to the parking lot.

This trail is so short! I started at 1 pm and I reached the summit at 3h50 pm. Very windy, cloudy and cold on the summit so I only stayed there for 10 minutes. I was back down at 5h50 pm. I will definitely do it again soon! It is one of my favorite hikes! Beautiful aerial views along the trail!

Awesome trail! On March 10, hiked up Baldy Bowl and down Devil’s Backbone to the Notch, about 7.5 miles total. Took the chairlift down the rest of the way. The hike itself took only 4 hours and 3min, but I set a very aggressive pace for myself due to time constraints. The first three miles up to just beyond the ski hut took 1h20min, the next 1.5 miles up to the summit took 1h20min (this segment is very strenuous and absolutely kicked my butt) and the summit down to the Notch took 1h25min. I set out from Manker Flats at 5:22am (with a headlamp as it was not yet twilight) and got to the Notch at 9:26am. The trail was mostly clear of snow and ice for the first three miles. Microspikes were necessary for most of the upper section to the summit due to ice and snow particularly in the steep section beginning about 1/2 mile after the hut. I had downloaded a route into my Garmin watch, which was very helpful (read: necessary) because there are sections between the hut and the summit where it would be very easy to lose the trail. Hiking down Devil’s Backbone was a little scary in parts due to ice and snow along the precipitous drop-offs, however there was enough ground exposed so that I could easily identify and avoid the snow cornices. It is a little hairy right at the western entrance to the Backbone section as there is a lot of snow wedged in the corner next to a fairly steep dropoff. Overall it is a very fun and pretty challenging hike, with amazing views and spectacular scenery along the whole route. Hiking up Baldy Bowl to the summit is an a**kicker but worth the effort. On Devil’s Backbone this time of year use caution and tread carefully along precipitous sections of the trail; and be prepared - I would recommend microspikes and trekking poles, and also bring some layers because there were very significant changes in temperature at the different elevations and much wind chill at the summit.

Having hiked this trail dozens of times, I have never done it in February before this trip. It is definitely a dry year with just a few areas of icy snow in the gully section, I used my spikes but they were really not necessary. As always there was a lot of traffic as this is one of the most popular trails in the San Gabriels.

Went up the baldy bowl itself straight from the ski hut to the baldy peak. This is NOT the regular trail and is a popular mountaineers route when snow conditions are good; however, I did it with no snow in February. It was a difficult scramble because of loose sharp rocks and steep sandy/rocky surface. I would only recommend this with snow.

Hiked here on leg on Mt. Baldy hike. It would be great as a standalone hike to the summit, though quite steep in parts of it. The Ski Hut was an interesting diversion along the way.

amazing trail

It was a freezing hike but a lot of people.

I recommend this way up because of the lose rock. It can be dangerous coming down, so take Devil's backbone down instead. Theres also a restaurant at the end of Devil's backbone, so its a treat near the end.

Great for training. Steep ascent. Take Baldy Bowl trail up and down. The Devils Backbone Trail is fun descent but the fire road after the ski lodge is long and boring. No permit needed. 5.5 hrs

A straight forward easy trail to the top of Mt Baldy. I hiked this three days ago as my last peak to complete the SoCal Triple Crown in 24 hours. I had already completed San Jacinto Marion Trail and San Gorgonio Vivian Creek via Momyer Parking lot due to primary parking lot being full prior to this hike and was still able to check this off in 4 h 04 min from car to car. Easy or hard is relative - to me, this was the easiest of the the trails I had done that day.

The feedback I have is the risk of hiking at night alone and the fact that I had to do a little route finding since I was not familiar with the trail and there were a few side trails that could be confused as primary trail. If you hike this trail during the day route finding should NOT be an issue. Trail is well defined and marked. On the way back down I had zero issues finding the route.

Water is available at the stream near the ski hut, which is more than half way up to the top distance wise but from there you still have about 2,000' in climb left. Just remember if you are traveling light and want to use the water source, you still have to go up then come back down before you get to the same water source again. Some people forget the water source is double the distance to the summit. Because I hiked at night and I didn't push myself to the point of perspiration I consumed only 1L of water the entire trip. This would be a good mountain to hike at night on a clear day to view the stars.

A good easy mountain to hike if you have half a day or night to kill.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Needs more water meaning deeper creek or rivers to cliff jump their wasent any

Friday, June 30, 2017

I made a loop by going up Baldy Bowl and down Devil's Backbone. Roughly 11 miles according to 2 gps I have. Wow! climbing Baldy Bowl was no joke. Great workout and so beautiful. I'm a huge fan. Most people brought trekking poles which I recommend. Everyone should do this loop.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

I knew it would be difficult but OH MAN. Totally worth the suffer fest.

Monday, June 05, 2017

This was my #2 out of the 6 peaks I have now completed. I made the loop from Manker Flats up the Ski Hut Trail, up the Baldy Bowl Trail to the Summit then down Devils Backbone. I LOVED every minute of it! The view were epic and breathtaking! The Ski Hut Trail/Baldy Bowl Trail is absolutely gorgeous! I would definitely do this again very soon!

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Loved the scenic views
Pet friendly and kid friendly too. Breathtaking waterfall once you get to the ski hut.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Very steep coming down, but a good hike.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Great hike!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

No equipment needed.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Friday, February 24, 2017

Bowlaholic..!! :)

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Mount San Antonio the crown jewel of the San Gabriels Mountains. Its the only 10,000+ foot Mt in the SG Mountains. Ive summited this beast at least 15 tjmes now and have approached it from 3 different trails, The Devils backbone from Manker flats, Baldy Bowl, and Register Ridge. Bear canyon, Iron Mt Ridge and the North backbone are next on my list. Anyway baldy bowl is an amazing hike, gain is about 3,900 rt is 9 miles. I recently did this after a snow storm last week, snow was shin deep in certain places. Its a great mt to hike just about any time of the year, but of course if you plan on doing it in the winter, i suggest you hike it from the baldy bowl and not The devils backbone (unless you have crampons and an ice axe)

Monday, December 05, 2016

Hiked down from the Mt. Baldy Summit. Quite a bit of snow in the shady areas on the trail above the ski hut so Micro-spikes recommended. Spotty snow on trail on and off on the way to the summit.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

I hiked in with a 40lb pack, and enough provisions for 3 days on the mountain. I started at Maker Flats, and it's a steep incline all the way up. I started my hike at 3pm so by 5pm it was dark. I found and helped rescue one lost hiker who lost the trail and ended up the top of the falls, and was stuck. I was able through our headlamps talk him back up to the trail. After I hiked on up in the dark to camp the night at the Sky Hut. It was literally the first flat ground I saw where I could throw my mattress and sleeping bag and bed down for the night. It got down to about 27 degrees. I was up by 7am and pushing for the summit. I reached the summit by noon, and was on my way back down via Devils Backbone which is a much flatter and easier hike even though there are some sketchy parts where people have fallen to their death. It's a much easier exit out. My pack severely slowed me down, but it's always a good feeling to know I have everything on my person I need to survive on the mountains for days at a time if need be.

Friday, September 30, 2016

We went up Devils Backbone and down Baldy Bowl... sort of. We went right and ended up above the Waterfall, I knew the trail was to the left, so we just cut left and we were alright. But the newbies that were with us had a rough time hiking down. - TRAIL is NOT MARKED and it is very easy to go wrong. Why it's not marked is a mystery. The rescue helicopters must surely know this? They circle overhead as other hikers were lost too.

So, if you want to try this steeper trail, I suggest going up this way and down the other. And the trail head UP is also NOT marked and easy to miss. But at least you wont end up on top of the Waterfall!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

This hike is no joke, serious incline all the way to the top.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

I love this trail!!! Scenery to the ski hut is gorgeous ! The trail is challenging and fun... A lot of inclines!! Didn't have enough time to make it all the way to the summit. This hike is pretty challenging. I have stuck with long moderate hikes. I thought I was ready for harder hikes but this one kicked my butt!! But I can't wait to hike all the way to the summit!!