Baldy Bowl Trail

Baldy Bowl Trail is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Turn right onto Mt. Baldy Road (stop sign). After 7.2 miles you pass the Angles National Forest Mt. Baldy Visitor Center in Mt. Baldy Village. Turn right on Mt Ave. Continue a few miles up to Manker Flats.

I recommend this way up because of the lose rock. It can be dangerous coming down, so take Devil's backbone down instead. Theres also a restaurant at the end of Devil's backbone, so its a treat near the end.

Great for training. Steep ascent. Take Baldy Bowl trail up and down. The Devils Backbone Trail is fun descent but the fire road after the ski lodge is long and boring. No permit needed. 5.5 hrs

A straight forward easy trail to the top of Mt Baldy. I hiked this three days ago as my last peak to complete the SoCal Triple Crown in 24 hours. I had already completed San Jacinto Marion Trail and San Gorgonio Vivian Creek via Momyer Parking lot due to primary parking lot being full prior to this hike and was still able to check this off in 4 h 04 min from car to car. Easy or hard is relative - to me, this was the easiest of the the trails I had done that day.

The feedback I have is the risk of hiking at night alone and the fact that I had to do a little route finding since I was not familiar with the trail and there were a few side trails that could be confused as primary trail. If you hike this trail during the day route finding should NOT be an issue. Trail is well defined and marked. On the way back down I had zero issues finding the route.

Water is available at the stream near the ski hut, which is more than half way up to the top distance wise but from there you still have about 2,000' in climb left. Just remember if you are traveling light and want to use the water source, you still have to go up then come back down before you get to the same water source again. Some people forget the water source is double the distance to the summit. Because I hiked at night and I didn't push myself to the point of perspiration I consumed only 1L of water the entire trip. This would be a good mountain to hike at night on a clear day to view the stars.

A good easy mountain to hike if you have half a day or night to kill.

Needs more water meaning deeper creek or rivers to cliff jump their wasent any