Baldy Bowl Trail

Baldy Bowl Trail is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Turn right onto Mt. Baldy Road (stop sign). After 7.2 miles you pass the Angles National Forest Mt. Baldy Visitor Center in Mt. Baldy Village. Turn right on Mt Ave. Continue a few miles up to Manker Flats.

Having hiked this trail dozens of times, I have never done it in February before this trip. It is definitely a dry year with just a few areas of icy snow in the gully section, I used my spikes but they were really not necessary. As always there was a lot of traffic as this is one of the most popular trails in the San Gabriels.

Went up the baldy bowl straight from the ski hut to the baldy peak. This is a popular mountaineers route when snow conditions are good; however, I did it with no snow in February. It was a difficult scramble because of loose sharp rocks and steep sandy/rocky surface. I would only recommend this with snow.

Hiked here on leg on Mt. Baldy hike. It would be great as a standalone hike to the summit, though quite steep in parts of it. The Ski Hut was an interesting diversion along the way.

amazing trail

It was a freezing hike but a lot of people.

I recommend this way up because of the lose rock. It can be dangerous coming down, so take Devil's backbone down instead. Theres also a restaurant at the end of Devil's backbone, so its a treat near the end.

Great for training. Steep ascent. Take Baldy Bowl trail up and down. The Devils Backbone Trail is fun descent but the fire road after the ski lodge is long and boring. No permit needed. 5.5 hrs

A straight forward easy trail to the top of Mt Baldy. I hiked this three days ago as my last peak to complete the SoCal Triple Crown in 24 hours. I had already completed San Jacinto Marion Trail and San Gorgonio Vivian Creek via Momyer Parking lot due to primary parking lot being full prior to this hike and was still able to check this off in 4 h 04 min from car to car. Easy or hard is relative - to me, this was the easiest of the the trails I had done that day.

The feedback I have is the risk of hiking at night alone and the fact that I had to do a little route finding since I was not familiar with the trail and there were a few side trails that could be confused as primary trail. If you hike this trail during the day route finding should NOT be an issue. Trail is well defined and marked. On the way back down I had zero issues finding the route.

Water is available at the stream near the ski hut, which is more than half way up to the top distance wise but from there you still have about 2,000' in climb left. Just remember if you are traveling light and want to use the water source, you still have to go up then come back down before you get to the same water source again. Some people forget the water source is double the distance to the summit. Because I hiked at night and I didn't push myself to the point of perspiration I consumed only 1L of water the entire trip. This would be a good mountain to hike at night on a clear day to view the stars.

A good easy mountain to hike if you have half a day or night to kill.

Needs more water meaning deeper creek or rivers to cliff jump their wasent any

I made a loop by going up Baldy Bowl and down Devil's Backbone. Roughly 11 miles according to 2 gps I have. Wow! climbing Baldy Bowl was no joke. Great workout and so beautiful. I'm a huge fan. Most people brought trekking poles which I recommend. Everyone should do this loop.

I knew it would be difficult but OH MAN. Totally worth the suffer fest.

This was my #2 out of the 6 peaks I have now completed. I made the loop from Manker Flats up the Ski Hut Trail, up the Baldy Bowl Trail to the Summit then down Devils Backbone. I LOVED every minute of it! The view were epic and breathtaking! The Ski Hut Trail/Baldy Bowl Trail is absolutely gorgeous! I would definitely do this again very soon!

Loved the scenic views
Pet friendly and kid friendly too. Breathtaking waterfall once you get to the ski hut.

Very steep coming down, but a good hike.

Great hike!

No equipment needed.

Bowlaholic..!! :)

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Mount San Antonio the crown jewel of the San Gabriels Mountains. Its the only 10,000+ foot Mt in the SG Mountains. Ive summited this beast at least 15 tjmes now and have approached it from 3 different trails, The Devils backbone from Manker flats, Baldy Bowl, and Register Ridge. Bear canyon, Iron Mt Ridge and the North backbone are next on my list. Anyway baldy bowl is an amazing hike, gain is about 3,900 rt is 9 miles. I recently did this after a snow storm last week, snow was shin deep in certain places. Its a great mt to hike just about any time of the year, but of course if you plan on doing it in the winter, i suggest you hike it from the baldy bowl and not The devils backbone (unless you have crampons and an ice axe)

Monday, December 05, 2016

Hiked down from the Mt. Baldy Summit. Quite a bit of snow in the shady areas on the trail above the ski hut so Micro-spikes recommended. Spotty snow on trail on and off on the way to the summit.