New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Bald Mountain OHV Road

Bald Mountain OHV Road is a 16.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Shaver Lake, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, bird watching, and off road driving and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 16.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,345 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

South Side Access Up the Hard Side (Staying to the Right), down the Easy Side

ohv/off road driving

Very fun, mild trail. Went up early Sept 2019. A few rocky spots but I'd say the trail is doable in a stock 4x4. A lift and tires make it pretty easy. Incredible views. I'll definitely be going back.

ohv/off road driving

First time for real off-roading for me in an old used TJ. Had the whole mountain to ourselves since it was a Friday. 33” tires on 2 inch lift. Used rear ARB locker once on the left fork of the trail. Did not air down since I don’t yet have a portable compressor. Would recommend the left fork for a new off-roading enthusiast because it will pucker you up with a challenge but won’t get you or your vehicle hurt (shouldn’t anyway!). Definitely would recommend airing down if possible. Our ride was rougher than it needed to be. Toward the top of the trail or last 1/4 or so of the trail, the trail widens out and it can be difficult to know where to go. I purchased the AllTrails Pro version before heading up and it was very much worth having the trail app/gps tell me where to stay on course. I’m a cheapskate on expenses but figured my safety was worth the cost. It was. (I look forward to getting more out of the app, I didn’t even use all its features.) Anyway, going down was easy after spending two hours climbing. By the time I got to the top, felt like a seasoned veteran of off-roading. Definitely DO NOT go alone if it is your first time. It will greatly enhance your ability to climb and crawl if you have someone that can spot for you and give you a line on where to steer. Once me and my passengers got that figured out, we made a lot of progress quickly. They only had to get out two or three times to be safe and sure. I look forward to talking the harder right fork of the trail next time but plan to bring more equipment and gear. I have a winch but no straps and no air compressor for the tires. Such is Jeep life, always something.

This is an epic trail, very fun. I did this trail on my stock 4runner and I had no issues. I got to say that a lift and rock sliders is a plus, but again if i did it with my stock vehicle you can make it !!take the challenge. Perfect trail to hike , camp and bike ride and of course 4X4 the trail goes out of rock creek road , just take trail to the left at the first fork. Amazing views and perfect for sunset . #osolockos

ohv/off road driving

Awesome trail for off-road activities. Drove my 2018 Jeep JL through it with out any problems. No real crazy obstacles but you can make it difficult if you choose too. Kids had fun and watching the sunset from the watch tower was amazing.

ohv/off road driving

Very fun trail Does have it’s rough spots! For sure 4Lo 16 Z71 3” fr lift on 35s

It was my first off road trail. I completed it in my stock Toyota Tacoma Off Road 4x4. I took the easier route. I wasn’t sure where the trail head started. I believe I did it Topside. Started at Snow park area.

ohv/off road driving

Fun trail, although sometimes tricky to find your way. Follow the cairns! Beautiful scenery with a few tricky sections, but I did it with a 1st gen Tacoma TRD with a 2” lift, no issues. We took the harder way up (stay right at first fork) to the lookout/summit, then went over to Brewer Lake instead of looping back down. Brewer Lake trail is rough at the end and my vehicle sustained some minor damage, but Bald Mtn was great!

ohv/off road driving

Crawled up with H3 on 34s with RTT and TRD Pro. No problem at all. Recommend rocksliders for sure.

ohv/off road driving

Perfect trail for stock or nearly stock trucks. Saw a bunch of heavily modified rigs out there but that may be due to Bald being the only trail currently open in this area. Went up with my nearly stock 3rd Gen 4Runner and my brother in law’s stock 1st Gen 4Runner. Both of us made it without issue and would do the trail again.

Mon Nov 12 2018

My daughter wanted to try out her 14 Jeep Sahara for the first time. It has 35” tires with a lift kit, although no lockers. She and the Jeep did great! Thankfully AllTrails kept us on. The right patch and we had a wonderful time. The Trail was challenging enough to keep you entertained, but was a good first time trail for her to learn on. We did keep to the right side trail, the easy one, and had a blast.

Tue Oct 09 2018

Awesome views. Great off-roading for a newbie. 2007 FJ Cruiser bone stock.

Sun Sep 23 2018

Great day off roading, great scenery and beautiful weather. Trail is easy to locate and has access to many other trails in the area. Trail is rated as “more difficult” by the US Forest service. I took my Rubicon and although there was some technical areas I never needed to engage the lockers. My rig is stock other than additional rock rails and I only encountered a few places where the frame rubbed a bit. Although this trail is called a loop there are quite a few off shoots that can be confusing trying to get back to Dinky Creek road. Overall a great area with some good trails, I’ll be back!

Mon Sep 17 2018