Balconies Trail to Balconies Cliffs via Balconies Cave

Balconies Trail to Balconies Cliffs via Balconies Cave is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Paicines, California that features a cave and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

cave

Stopped by pinnacles for a quick hike. This was perfect, beautiful scenery. The cave is pretty neat, it gets dark in a couple parts. It feels like it’s getting narrow but opens up quickly so if you’re claustrophobic like me, don’t panic. A few more steps and it’s wide. Also it says the gate closes at 8pm but it’s automatic so you have no problem getting out if you stay a little late like we did. Can’t wait to go back to this park.

Would call this easy except for the cave part. Good little hike with nice views. If you go cliffs first to cave, cave entrance is not entirely clear you’re on right path until you see the sign. Definitely need a light - headlamp preferred to keep hands free.

This trail is an excellent trail if you're wanting to see some views and do some caving. There are a few spots where the trail becomes a little unclear. Overall, it's pretty fun.

Did this as a family hike. It was a little tough for my four year old, but he’s a trooper. Carried my two year old on my back in a soft structured carrier, even through the cave portion. Some spots were a little tight (I had to instruct her to keep her head on my back to avoid bumps). It is possible, contrary to what a few people told me exiting the cave. I’m fairly experienced with the carrier, and also on the thin side so it may not be possible for all to go through with a toddler on their back. Head lamp would be useful, as two hands are required at some points in the cave portion. A lot of fun though! I would totally go again.

Loved it. Beautiful views. I would say moderate. The cave portion was difficult to navigate, but there are painted arrows to guide you. I’d advise bringing a headlamp. We didn’t and just used a iPhone flashlight so that made it a little more challenging at times.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

guided trails, easy-moderate, caves

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Great hike. The cave is fun but a bit narrow at points so don't get stuck. Took us about 1 hour. This hike is only accessible from the West side and definitely worth the detour.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Great hike!

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Taking the Balconies Cliffs Trail and bypassing the caves is recommended for those that are heavy set or elderly. I would not recommend really heavy set or elderly to go through the caves because there are spots that you have to literally crawl to get under a large rock and narrow passages where a larger person will not fit. The cliffs trail offers some beautiful views of the rock formations with some great photo op spots. It can be a bit steep and the pathway is narrow (maybe 2 feet wide) but if you pace yourself and rest when needed, it really isn't too strenuous. I did feel the burn in my glutes but once I reached the peak, I just needed a minute for relief and continued.

Sunday, July 09, 2017