Balconies Trail to Balconies Cliffs via Balconies Cave

Balconies Trail to Balconies Cliffs via Balconies Cave is a 2.6 mile loop trail located near Paicines, California that features a cave and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

cave

Great hike. The cave is fun but a bit narrow at points so don't get stuck. Took us about 1 hour. This hike is only accessible from the West side and definitely worth the detour.

Great hike!

Taking the Balconies Cliffs Trail and bypassing the caves is recommended for those that are heavy set or elderly. I would not recommend really heavy set or elderly to go through the caves because there are spots that you have to literally crawl to get under a large rock and narrow passages where a larger person will not fit. The cliffs trail offers some beautiful views of the rock formations with some great photo op spots. It can be a bit steep and the pathway is narrow (maybe 2 feet wide) but if you pace yourself and rest when needed, it really isn't too strenuous. I did feel the burn in my glutes but once I reached the peak, I just needed a minute for relief and continued.