Balconies Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Paicines, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 9.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,001 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Directions from Soledad: Follow Highway 146 12 miles to the Chaparral Ranger Station. The trail begins from the northern end of the parking area.

So much fun! We loved this trail.

Absolutely fun and absolutely breathtaking. We messed up and ended with the High Peaks Trail which put us there around 1 pm. You want to do that trail before the heat of the day sets in. Hardly any shade in that portion of the trail so lots of sunscreen and lots of water. My husband and I went through about 3 1/2 liters of water each.

Our party totally enjoyed this hike. The elevation change is concentrated in the later half of the hike, so be wary and make sure you leave early enough to beat the heat! The views were wonderful and our group was bummed we didn’t have our climbing shoes....

What a awesome park

Sun Apr 07 2019

Really beautiful trail. Took time to enjoy views and rest along the way. Really amazing variety of landscapes/biomes. Would do this again.

Mon Apr 01 2019

Definitely recommend this trail if you want a longer hike and to experience as much as possible at Pinnacles. It's a steep start so be ready but you go through a lot of beautiful parts of the formation.

Mon Jul 16 2018

Beautiful! Bring water, bring a flashlight, bring sunscreen. Wonder start through oaks aplenty. Then, up and up and up! Then down, down, and down, to the caves. I didn't bring a flashlight, so I went back up the Balconies Trail. It was pretty hot, but I made. This is a majestic national park. Thank you Senator Boxer and President Obama. One more note, you drive through Monterrey County wine country to get to the park!

Sat May 19 2018

This was an adventure for me a relatively new hiker. I started at Bear Gulch so it added 1.7. Take lots of water. Much of the trail is shade but a lot is in direct sun.

Wed Apr 25 2018

Great hike

Mon Nov 27 2017

Great hike! Not difficult. Combined it with the caves for a nice loop from the campground.

Fri Nov 10 2017

Great hike

Mon Sep 18 2017

If you can start from the east side of the park and finish the high peaks trail first. It is hot and dry so be sure to bring lots of water. We saw 4-5 condors flying around us in the middle of the park, one flew right over us! Be sure to bring sun screen and flashlights. Once you make it up and down to the Western parking lot you can fill up on water. We drank 5 liters between the two of us and completed the hike in ~4 hours... but we were dehydrated... so please drink water!! The caves on the northern side are not to be missed, the old pinnacles trail is flat and easy.

Tue Jun 13 2017

Absolutely fell in love with boulder filled gorges! Take lots of water; lots of fun for the whole family!⛰

Sun Feb 19 2017

WARNING flooding on the north west side of trail. You won't be able to complete the loop unless you cross the water knee deep at 7-10 crossing points.

Sun Jan 29 2017

Great hike with great views and a variety of environments. The Balconies Cave was the highlight of the hike.

Mon Sep 05 2016

Great hike with the kids. They had so much fun climbing through the caves with their flashlights and seeing the boulders strewn throughout the canyon. They also enjoyed the climbing under the wedged boulders. Good fun. Not too difficult (I.e. Not too much elevation gain) that it proved too tough for the kids (8,8, and 11). Beautiful views of geology. A cool wind rustled the leaves of the trees -- I haven't heard this sound since having led the east coast and it took me right back. Beautiful golden hues at this time of year. The caves do require you to get pretty low and also can be quite narrow in spots.

Sun Jun 05 2016

Hard! But fun.

Thu Apr 28 2016

Very nice hike in California's Pinnacles National Park. The cave was a little hard to find, but I wasn't sure what I was looking for. Also, take a head lamp or a good light. It will be more enjoyable.

Sun Mar 13 2016

Took the Balconies Cliffs to Old Pinnacles as part of a 10 Mile loop around the park. The Cave was closed, but there are great views from the cliff side of both Balconies and Machete ridge and others. For climbers there were lots of access trails for getting up on the rocks.

Sat Nov 29 2014

Great side-trip 2-hour hike as a stop off Hwy 101 heading up to San Francisco. But you absolutely need a flashlight to pass through the cave.

Mon Jul 01 2013

Hiked it counter clockwise and found it easier climbing up the cave! Kids loved it! Get the 50 cent guidebook at the ranger station and follow the signs. It explained everything. Great views from the balconies and tons of rocks to explore. New welcome center is fantastic!!

Wed Aug 01 2012

The caves are a must see! One of my favorite hikes.

Fri Oct 01 2010

This is a really fun hike. The trail is a loop. It starts with an easy one-half mile walk from the Chapparral Ranger Station. At that point the trail splits...one side is called Balconies Cave Trail and the other side of the loop is called Balconies Cliff Trail. We chose to take the Cave Trail first. You will need a flashlight to go through the Cave Trail as it does have a steep and slippery underground portion, but that was part of the fun. It requires dexterity to both descend and ascend, as there are many protruding rocks, as well as twists and turns. The trail drops about 240 feet during the underground portion. I wouldn't attempt to take small children on this part of the trail. Once out of the cave, there is a small stagnant pool of water (watch out for mosquitos)that seems to be fed from a small stream or spring (we couldn't determine the source). After crossing over the small stream the trail begins to ascend between two large rock formations. Shortly afterward the trail meets up with the end of The Old Pinnacles Trail (coming in from the east entrance to the park)which splits off to the right. Turning left will take you on to the Cliff Trail which immediately begins to ascend, winding through the cliffs with some really nice views of the rock formations. The highest point on the trail is about 450 feet, making the overall ascent about 320 feet.