Backbone Trail to Sandstone Peak and Mishe Mokwa Trail Loop

Backbone Trail to Sandstone Peak and Mishe Mokwa Trail Loop is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Many different views , landscapes and beauty to enjoy

Long, winding, and beautiful drive to one of the two parking lots. Great job place at the top to have a lunch or snack.

Awesome hike, definitely bring good hiking shoes if you plan on hiking the whole thing. It's a rocky and dirt trail, great view the whole time and a decent incline with a little bit of elevation.

Great loop trail for all! I would say this is easy-moderate. Like everyone else has said, I recommend doing it counter clockwise!

Agree with Lori it was a strenuous hike. We did it counter clockwise, glad we did. Doing the main uphill first makes a difference. Deduct one star because it really is rocky. Wear shoes with good soles. And the drive to get there is insane going south on Westlake/23 to mulholland...really winding road. Great views...

Hey, my husband, dog and I must literally be the laziest, most out of shape pieces of shit on the planet because we considered this hike STRENUOUS. We hiked counter clockwise and felt like after the first 1/3, the inclines were never ending. We were completely wiped out at the end and my husband actually had to carry our 4-year-old, 70 lb. pit bull from the trail head (at the end) to our car. Kudos to all of you who consider this hike EASY, you are living your best life. FYI - I am 44 yrs old, 130 lbs and my husband is 29 yrs old, 175 lbs and a professional skateboarder. I only mention that to show that we are average active humans and not sedentary obese couch potatoes who don’t hike. This hike is not EASY for everyone. It’s beautiful though, that is for sure! Make sure you wear well padded soles, tons of fist sized rocks on the trail and I felt every single one!!!

Beautiful scenery throughout the entire trail. The trail in its self is semi easy to hike. Make sure you have on good hiking shoes as there are a lot of stone, boulders, and rocks on 90% of the trail. Bring plenty of water with you.

Absolutely amazing scenery!! Trail wasn’t difficult and very well maintained.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Great trail. Did this route counterclockwise, which meant for a more gradual incline and finishing off ascending sandstone peak. This way also meant for a good view of the tri peaks and the option to hike up to them if you are feeling alright and have time. Climbing to the top of sandstone has spectacular views and great way to finish this fairly easy hike. If you can manage to find it, there is a spot right before you get to sandstone called inspiration point. Not at high as sandstone, but good view of the ocean and surrounding area.

Sunday, March 19, 2017