Backbone Trail Loop

Backbone Trail Loop is a 7.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Calabasas, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,014 feet Route Type: Loop

Definitely go clockwise, there’s about a mile stretch of scramble (about 1.5 miles in) that I’d rate more towards hard, but the rest is pretty moderate to easy. Very fun, I would recommend proper trail/hiking shoes since it can be a little technical. Clocked in at around 8miles total but I did get lost a couple of times. Namely, when reaching the water tank, take the paved road around its left side til you see the trail continue to dirt in front of you. Good amount of shade if you start early and keep good pace. I started at sunrise and sun was blocked much of the time.

This trail was great. I did it mid day in August with 2 liters of water. I did fine but I wish I had another liter. After the first mile, it’s 1.5mi of scrambles and direct sun no matter what time of the day you’re there. My recording was a little longer than the 7.6mi. Once you bare right just before the water tower it begins to get easier - the hardest part is certainly behind you. I also suggest going clockwise

This trail is definitely difficult but worth it. Make sure to go clockwise as the scramble up should be done in the beginning and bring lots of water because there is no shade. Well worth it

I did the trail counter-clockwise and would not recommend going that way. The third quarter of the loop along backbone was all scramble and dauntingly steep. I watched the crows circle closer each time I would slip... which was often. Parts of the loop especially around saddle peak and into topanga were lovely. Go clockwise if you’re thinking about this trail, but in that case expect a very challenging ascent starting around 1 mile in.

I agree with the previous reviewers that this tail should be done clockwise. I did the trail as suggested, and found myself losing steam at the end climbing over all the rocks. I think the way it began would have been a more ideal way to end the hike. Definitely bring big spray or something that will keep the flies away. There were many different terrain changes and great views. Also I would have the app going as there were since areas of the trail that were not clear.

One of the best hikes I’ve done in LA. Lots of varied terrain, cool boulders, tons of wildflowers and nice views. I also recommend going clockwise. Only downsides were some graffiti and broken glass at the top where the trail is accessible from the road, and a lot of bugs.

Hike clockwise to go up the steep scrambling section

I also followed the suggestion to do the loop clockwise - excellent hike. It has a bit of everything: rock formations, some scrambling up rocks on the east side (if you go clockwise), field with wildflowers and lots of flowers along the way thanks to this year's rain, and ocean views. Not much shade at all. I don't know if it's because I went clockwise, but the west side of loop is not easy to follow. I got lost a couple of times.

very technical towards the end and some parts are so steep to go down. I slipped once and just realized how scary the trail got sometimes

Amazing trail, I agree with the other comments that it should be done clockwise. I almost don’t want to write a comment because I don’t want people to find out out this this loop. :-)

This hike has everything. Rock formations, dense foliage and tall grass(winter time). I followed the recommendation of a reviewer below and hiked this trail from finish to end. It definitely paid off as there are some tough areas on the backside of the trail. I highly recommend this trail for its views, moderate difficulty and plant life.

great hike! very, very low traffic. no views of the ocean, save for at the top of the mountain (but cool view of mountains!) strongly suggest doing this hike the opposite way of how it's mapped here, i.e. ascend on the east side of the route and descend on the west - the eastern side is a lot more technical, footing-wise, than the west side and this was annoying during our descent - I personally would prefer the unsure footing to be on my ascent and the smoother path on the descent