Back Bay Loop Trail

Back Bay Loop Trail is a 2.8 mile loop trail located near Newport Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 236 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

Really good trail for me, I am a beginner hiker and it was just enough 4 miles to pushed my body a little bit more than my usual walks. I love the view of the bay from the highest level.

recorded Recording - Aug 15, 6:51 PM

Walked then some running on mini hills

Lots of interesting birds such as roadrunners and gnatcatchers, and this spring it was covered in enormous amounts of bush sunflowers. I also once saw a California Kingsnake here, which was an amazing encounter.

It's back bay how can someone not give it 5 stars. Sometimes people are just looking for a reason to complain.

So many snails after the rain!

Beautiful trails with so many wildflowers its unbelievable. Trails are maintained and easy to moderate with lots of hills. Not alot of shade. Only downfall is it's very popular so you never get away from people noise and some hikers/walkers/ baby strollers dont want to share the path either. I think I will try a week day next time. Trails make up for the people though. And the dogs! Lots of friendly dogs lol

Very busy area. We cut our hike short because at one point it wasn't clear which way to go, so we just looped back. The portion we hiked was a super easy trail. Lovely area for sure.

A network of existing trails between Costa Mesa, New Port Beach, and Irvine. Trail is mostly dirt but has some paved areas as well allowing for road bikes. No overhead canopy and not a lot of shade, so bring a hat or some sunscreen. Saw a few squirrels, lizards, and a variety of birds. Not spectacular but a decent outting.

I enjoy running on this trail. Great view and elevation variation. Can get pretty crowded.

Fun for stretching your legs and nice views. Can be crowded on weekends

good! We should go eat now!

Beautiful day late December! This trail will take you up, around and back one side of the water bed in the Back Bay. The road adjacent makes some noise but not overwhelming and the view across the bay is beautiful, especially this time of year as the snow caps the mountains in the distance. Overall a good, easy trail.

Fri Jun 01 2018

I brought my dog for a walk here. The view is nice. There is a nice variety of plants and Wildlife to see. You can explore some cool, small spots that are a little off the trail which is fun. There are poop bag dispensers along the way. I did not give this trail five stars because of the planes that fly by all the time, loud streets near the trail and all the houses visible. But definitely worth going. Also, as someone mentioned in a previous review- I do not consider this a moderate trail.

Tue May 08 2018

Nice trail although I do not consider it “moderate”. It is an easy trail but fun