Back Bay Loop Trail is a 2.8 mile loop trail located near Newport Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 236 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

Very crowded today but a nice day to be out walking Back Bay. It’s a paved trail - so just wear good shoes for pavement

This eco reserve and trail are what keep be living in Newport. It’s my happy place. Hiking during dusk when there is overcast and singing wildlife. Heaven.

Great trail! Loved it!

A nice easy nature walk. Lots of pretty wildflowers now. Trail is open.

This was an ok hike. Nothing to write home about. We had to make a detour, because someone drove off the road and ended up on the trail. Police closed it off to tow the car out, so we had to wait a while to get back to the car.

Quick little network of trails that were quite easy for me and my dog. Good views of wildlife, like birds and rabbits. I'd love to revisit during the super bloom in spring, as I bet the wild flowers will be gorgeous. Took off a star for how busy the trails were, as I prefer less populated trails.

Part of the trail is closed, but still manage to complete a loop

Very short walk but interesting.

Really good trail for me, I am a beginner hiker and it was just enough 4 miles to pushed my body a little bit more than my usual walks. I love the view of the bay from the highest level.

recorded Recording - Aug 15, 6:51 PM

Walked then some running on mini hills

Lots of interesting birds such as roadrunners and gnatcatchers, and this spring it was covered in enormous amounts of bush sunflowers. I also once saw a California Kingsnake here, which was an amazing encounter.

It's back bay how can someone not give it 5 stars. Sometimes people are just looking for a reason to complain.

Sun May 19 2019

So many snails after the rain!

Sat Mar 30 2019

Beautiful trails with so many wildflowers its unbelievable. Trails are maintained and easy to moderate with lots of hills. Not alot of shade. Only downfall is it's very popular so you never get away from people noise and some hikers/walkers/ baby strollers dont want to share the path either. I think I will try a week day next time. Trails make up for the people though. And the dogs! Lots of friendly dogs lol

Sun Mar 24 2019

Very busy area. We cut our hike short because at one point it wasn't clear which way to go, so we just looped back. The portion we hiked was a super easy trail. Lovely area for sure.