Avery's Pond

Avery's Pond is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Newcastle, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 249 feet Route Type: Loop

Avery's Pond is a beautiful pond near the shores of Folsom Lake.

Awesome trail! You get to see Folsom lake and have great views. The beginning of the trail is a bit uneven but the rest is perfect. Brought our dog on a leash and there is even a turn out where you can sit by the lake.

an easy hike and a beautiful walk.

We hiked this trail on a Saturday morning. Be sure to bring $12 cash to park. There is a bathroom near the trail head. You will hike through the woods with glimpses of Folsom Lake and end at Avery‘s pond. Instead of going right to loop around (I think?), we went left and ended up on the main road. We hiked about half a mile further to check out Mormon’s Ravine, which featured a bridge, a waterfall, and some lovely Cascades, then returned the way we came.

closed

This was my first time doing a trail run - saw good reviews about how easy it was and nice fauna so figured I'd go try it. When I went, I found several trees had fallen into the path. It was cool at first to jump through them, but it just got tiring after a while. At one point, a segment of the entire trail was missing - I'm not sure if this was intentional or if the ledge just collapsed but it was actually dangerous. and not doable for families going with their toddlers and such. I enjoyed the "tomb raider"-like experience of having to go through trees and rock climb a bit but I was really hoping for an easy trail run. I couldn't get to the pond at the end because there was a over growth of poison oak that I really was not prepared to go through.

Hiked in mid July. The trail offered ample shade on a hot day. Very easy with a couple of lake views throughout. Avery Pond offers a nice place for a break or picnic halfway through.

I saw otters in the river!!!! At the loop there is river access with great spots to stop and snack/relax. Great easy hike with lots of shade. Very empty trail on a weekday, only saw one other hiker and one person on horseback.

Very nice, easy hike! Beautiful views!

A relaxing hike. Went early in the AM, very little traffic, great views.

Great hike with my dog. Easy. Great views!!

Trail starts out in a dry, parched grassland, but don't be discouraged. The meandering dirt trail is high above Folsom Lake and allows glimpses of the lake below from numerous locations. As you get closer to the pond, the terrain becomes more lush and shaded. The clear, cool water well right before the pond is a delight! The pond itself is lovely with turtles rearing on logs, thousands of iridescent dragonflies and, (I was told by a fisherman we ran into), full of large mouth bass. Well worth the short, easy hike. I had a 9 & 12 yr old with me.

Went with 2 kids today. The trail itself was ok but there was a lot of poison oak along the trail which took away from the hike

Easy trail in and out. Only incline in the beginning. Mostly covered trails by trees proving shade. Easy to walk with kids.

Very nice hike! Lots of shady areas. Small incline to start (from boating doc) but then pretty straight. You will cross a couple of cool bridges and pass a beautiful water feature that includes a rock trough for the horses and dogs! It will take you about 1.2 miles before you reach the actual pond, but from there, you can find a side path and access the lake! No

The trail is easy, very quite and not a lot of people walk the trail often. There is a lot of blackberry bushes next to the thin trail.

Easy 7miles out and back. KLS. AP paused for 1 mile.

Fun little walk to a sweet little pond! We saw a bunch of wildlife: a couple of snakes, a lizard, mallards and geese with their chicks, and lots of other birds (redwing blackbirds, western grebe, marsh wren, oak titmouse and goldfinches). There were also a ton of mosquitoes, so I would recommend bug spray if you tend to get bitten.

saw a big 10-12 button Rattler crossing the trail about 200 yards in from the gravel parking lot...also witnessed a few dogs off leash including two pit bulls that we're aggressive...total BS...nice walk great wildflowers...nice day

It was a great hike! There are definitely too many horses on the trail though. The amount of times you have to move out of the way, standing directly in poison oak is too much.

A beautiful morning hike with my friend Janice. Great hike for those wanting an easy hike with lots of nature and shade. The only moderately difficult part for kids or those with balance mobitlity issues is the brief climb at the start of the trail after the parking lot. After that brief uphill, it relatively flat and much easier. Numerous places to see plants, water, butterflies etc. Caution, there is a lot of large leaf poison oak adjacent to the trail. We experienced moderate travel and only one horse. This is a single track trail in most places, and would be far less enjoyable if you encountered numerous horses, which requires to you stand off trail, and subject to poison oak.

Had a beautiful day to complete this hike. There are some hills to climb but it's nothing too hard. The same day I did this hike, a horse walking contest occured at the same time. The trails were wide enough where both hikers and riders could walk together. However, some portions of the trail have blind corners so if you hike this, pay attention to the corners so that you don't run into others. Lastly, the parking fee for the park is now $12.00. But having that ticket allows you to try out other state parks for an entire day. Great hike. LOTS of places to take great photos.

Starts off with a small climb if coming in from the boat launch but us otherwise flat. Kid friendly. Quiet pond with random picnic tables. Lots of mosquitoes so bring your bug spray.

so fun!!! we (2 adults) went with a 3 year old, two 5 year olds, a 7 year old, and a 9 year old. we walked to the water and the kids threw rocks in the water for a long time. we saw a lot of butterflies and the bridges were cute. I had to carry my son for a little on the back carrier (toddler Tula) on the way back, but it was a blast.

What a fantastic trail. There was all kinds of wildlife wild flowers and plenty of shade.

Lovely trails. You can go a little offbeat and venture on your own. We got lucky with 70-degree weather and the kids enjoyed it very much. Plenty of shade and lots of flowers and butterflies.