Learn more

Avery's Pond via the Pioneer Express Trail is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Newcastle, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.5 mi Elevation gain 636 ft Route type Out & Back

Wildlife

Fee

Description
Waypoints (0)

The start of the trail is not clearly marked and it costs $12 to enter the park. However, the $12 allows for all day access to Folsom Lake. The equestrian parking lot is reserved for those hauling horse trailers. If driving a standard size vehicle, please leave these limited spots open for those with horse trailers and park elsewhere. The trail is mostly shaded and has lovely wildflowers, butterflies, and caterpillars during the spring. The pond is a sweet spot with plenty of rainbow trout.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (184)
Photos (331)
Recordings (117)
Completed (508)
Ann Jacuzzo-Abbott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great early morning walk. Nice to get in an easy 3 miles before 9am. Gates are open but no attendant. You have to self pay.

Jacob Callens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 29, 2020
HikingClosedFee

Good trail for family. Not too hard, but challenging for little kids. Took it for my first trail run, and it was perfect. Not too difficult.

Amy Boyd
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 17, 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grown

Would not recommend his hike for children. Lots of poison oak and tall grass. We did see a rattlesnake right on the path. We did go in late summer. Would recommend going in winter but you might encounter a lot of mud.

Nicole S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 1, 2020
HikingClosedFee

The main gate was closed and there were “no parking” signs everywhere so we decided to start the hike off of Rattlesnake Bar. This caused us to double back a little but the trail was worth it. Very beautiful hike!

Breeanna Meunier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 23, 2020
HikingBugs

Nice trail but went in the Spring and the bugs were out of control.

Robert Gravelle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 8, 2020
HikingFee

Very nice trail. Not so easy at a few spots since terrain was a little slippery and uneven. The views are great, lots of shade, and once you get to Avery’s Pond, you realize what a beauty it really is.

Elle Tong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 1, 2020
Walking

Great trail for the first of 2020! Not sure if it was just due to it being Jan 1st, but the trail seemed fairly empty to me- until we got over to Avery's Pond... we passed and saw a few more folks in that area. But overall, a very peaceful and not heavily used trail (at least not today). This also seemed like a popular horse trail (no bikes are allowed) since there were "staging areas" and obvious signs of horses. I know this is a LOOOONNNGG Shot..... but, I lost my blue windbreaker/ jacket on the trail today. It was a Christmas present, so I'm super sad to have lost it. I knew the general area it dropped (since we did some pack switching and layer changing) and double-backed, but could not find it. Please feel free to email me at sick of spam (all one word) at hotmail. :) Thanks and Happy New Year all!!

Hey.There _Sugar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 26, 2019
Hiking

Best in colder months- hot weather doesn’t make it all that great, but it is well shaded

Erin Clements
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2019
HikingBugsOver grown
Danielle Fontaine
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 23, 2019
HikingClosed

nowhere to park, gate closed and no signs saying where you can park. lots of 'no parking' signs by the gate.....

Stacy Blunt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 15, 2019

The trail has a slight climb initially if you start at the boat launch. Then the trail is fairly flat. Peaceful spot with the lake on once side and the pond on the other. Lots of wildlife viewing. Scattered picnic table available. Kid friendly. Bring cash for parking as gate is a drop box and not staffed.

Mike Hudson
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 23, 2019

Easy to find. The gate was locked. I stopped in stopped to a very nice lady jogger. I asked her if it was ever unlocked. She said barely. . She Said the very last House on the left hand corner being built has an owner with a Sheriff Buddy. And suddenly there's new no parking signs have been down the street. The point of having the Gate open is so that the cars can actually park in its own parking. !!@!!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!@

Lindsay R.
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 1, 2019

Gate is closed, could not access.

Kerry S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 12, 2018

Fun short ride on horseback if you just go to the pond and back. Can be a little busy on weekends during the Summer, baby buggies, kids, sometime narrow passing.

David Carr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 22, 2018
Hiking

The trailhead is annoying because there is not convenient parking. Very pretty views but trail can be very narrow and uneven at times. I would call this more moderate because you can loose your footing.

Hugo Schmidt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 3, 2018
Hiking

Oooops. I went to do an update to identify the trail head start was wrong, only to realize that I was wrong! Sorry. We started the trail from Google's, which is really half-way of the full trail. So I guess we only did half the trail.... Oh well, just a new members mistake.

Michael Connelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2018

Great trail in the spring and fall

Baba Snoke
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 15, 2018

Park was closed and there is no parking outside of the gate. Not sure why the gate was closed when it wasn’t past park hours. I wouldn’t trust the directions. No easy lake access either. I brought my family with my dad who struggles with diabetes because it said it was an easy walk. Not happy, I would rate this 0 if I could.

Andrew Craft
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2018
Hiking

Great trail that leads to some even better fishing, depending on who you are!

Stephanie Veteran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2018
Horseback riding

I've been riding my horse/s on these beautiful trails since 1987. Back then there weren't a lot of hikers, bikers, etc. in fact we hardly ever ran into anyone that wasn't on a horse but that has changed. We should all want to continue to enjoy the trails together and to do that it's a good idea to know a little about what we encounter on the trail whether on horseback or on foot. Now as a horse woman I know horses but I understand a lot of folks don't. I'm not saying a person has to know everything about horses to share the trails but to know a little can help. The number one issue I've been seeing in posts is about the "horse poop." Well horses poop, can't help it but there are benefits to this: horse poop is organic, its a fertilizer for all the beautiful flowers we enjoy, it dries up pretty quick and if you want you can kick it out of your way, it doesn't smell as bad as dog poop or won't stick to your boots too long (dries up pretty fast); all in all horse poop is actually good for the environment. Now, the other issue is dogs and horses. Most horses are used to dogs, they live on ranches, dogs live on ranches; problems usually occur when a dog that is unfamiliar with horses is off leash; this might also be the reason some riders have been "not very courteous." The dog might be intimidated or he might charge up behind a horse barking and will probably spook the horse (they are a prey animal after all); now the horse may kick out at the dog, spook causing potential injury to the rider, or not do a thing, you (the hiker) never know which. The safest approach if you encounter horses is to leash your dog until you pass, remember a horse's aim is good and if he decides to kick a dog it could be fatal and no one wants to see that happen. Another fact about horses: 99% of the horses you'll encounter don't kick people, it's just not in their nature to do so, just because their butt is facing you doesn't mean they're going to kick; if you're unsure or scared just ask the riders if they kick ( this is in reference to a review that stated the horses were "tied up blocking the trail"). The third issue I see is the suggestion to use the "Horse Staging Areas" to park. Equestrians bring horses which require us to haul them in trailers costing us more in day use fees. The "Horse Staging Areas" are small to begin with but when non trailer hauling vehicles also use the "Horse Staging Area" it leaves us with no place to park other than the asphalt boat launch area. The "Horse Staging Areas" are built with a horse's comfort in mind, that's why all have gravel and most are shaded; while our trucks have air horse trailers don't. Just remember horses are animals and just like dogs they love their people, so the next time you encounter horses on a hike maybe you'll ask if you can pet one (on the neck not the face), you might really like it. So this ends my lengthy tutorial on Horses 101, until the next time Happy Trails to All!

Toni Gomez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2018

This is a favorite trail of mine. I don’t even think it is moderately busy. I rarely encounter anyone. It does have a cougar alert posting. That keeps me from going alone most of the time. I have only seen one cougar in my life up close and this was the region. The pond is lovely ... the river is flowing... it is a lovely out and back. There are also several little side trails to venture off and explore.

Jess Steffan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 12, 2018

We exited on Horseshoe Ridge and continued down until the road ended and the trail began. It was a really pleasant partial shade/partial sun lake walk and foliage walk through the hills. We saw plenty of Miner's Lettuce and Turkey Tail on our walk more inland. Definitely a gradient scale with elevation. I can't wait to come back :)!

Nadean Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 1, 2018

Nice and easy trail to pond. And easy access to the lake. Check your dogs for ticks, my dogs were covered with them yet they never left the trail. Poison Oak is pretty rampant as well.

Brysanna Penland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 15, 2018
Hiking

So, two parts to this. Great, absolutely AMAZING AND BEAUTIFUL Hike for seasoned hikers and fit persons. Not a hike for children, and your dog WILL get covered in ticks. A wonderful part of God’s Creation, but not for the faint of heart or light of feet. It’s 14 miles round trip, and I had a 7, 14, and 16 year old with me. Oh, and this was their fist hike. Please know, you’ve been warned.

Jairo Benavides
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 15, 2018
Hiking

Beautiful hike on springtime, great shade along the way, my 11 years old boy went the whole way, my 8 years old daughter stopped with mom half way to enjoy the water and take some flowers photos.

Christine Barham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 5, 2018
Hiking

Scenic easy hike, well shaded with bits of wildlife here and there. Will be back.