Avery's Pond via the Pioneer Express Trail

Avery's Pond via the Pioneer Express Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newcastle, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The start of the trail is not clearly marked and it cost $12 to get into the park. However, the $12 does allow all day access to Folsom Lake. To find the trail to Avery's Pond it's best to park in the equestrian parking. The trail is, for the most part, shaded and this time of year has lovely wildflowers, butterflies, and caterpillars. The pond is a sweet spot with plenty of rainbow trout.

Great trail that leads to some even better fishing, depending on who you are!

I've been riding my horse/s on these beautiful trails since 1987. Back then there weren't a lot of hikers, bikers, etc. in fact we hardly ever ran into anyone that wasn't on a horse but that has changed. We should all want to continue to enjoy the trails together and to do that it's a good idea to know a little about what we encounter on the trail whether on horseback or on foot. Now as a horse woman I know horses but I understand a lot of folks don't. I'm not saying a person has to know everything about horses to share the trails but to know a little can help. The number one issue I've been seeing in posts is about the "horse poop." Well horses poop, can't help it but there are benefits to this: horse poop is organic, its a fertilizer for all the beautiful flowers we enjoy, it dries up pretty quick and if you want you can kick it out of your way, it doesn't smell as bad as dog poop or won't stick to your boots too long (dries up pretty fast); all in all horse poop is actually good for the environment. Now, the other issue is dogs and horses. Most horses are used to dogs, they live on ranches, dogs live on ranches; problems usually occur when a dog that is unfamiliar with horses is off leash; this might also be the reason some riders have been "not very courteous." The dog might be intimidated or he might charge up behind a horse barking and will probably spook the horse (they are a prey animal after all); now the horse may kick out at the dog, spook causing potential injury to the rider, or not do a thing, you (the hiker) never know which. The safest approach if you encounter horses is to leash your dog until you pass, remember a horse's aim is good and if he decides to kick a dog it could be fatal and no one wants to see that happen. Another fact about horses: 99% of the horses you'll encounter don't kick people, it's just not in their nature to do so, just because their butt is facing you doesn't mean they're going to kick; if you're unsure or scared just ask the riders if they kick ( this is in reference to a review that stated the horses were "tied up blocking the trail"). The third issue I see is the suggestion to use the "Horse Staging Areas" to park. Equestrians bring horses which require us to haul them in trailers costing us more in day use fees. The "Horse Staging Areas" are small to begin with but when non trailer hauling vehicles also use the "Horse Staging Area" it leaves us with no place to park other than the asphalt boat launch area. The "Horse Staging Areas" are built with a horse's comfort in mind, that's why all have gravel and most are shaded; while our trucks have air horse trailers don't. Just remember horses are animals and just like dogs they love their people, so the next time you encounter horses on a hike maybe you'll ask if you can pet one (on the neck not the face), you might really like it. So this ends my lengthy tutorial on Horses 101, until the next time Happy Trails to All!

This is a favorite trail of mine. I don’t even think it is moderately busy. I rarely encounter anyone. It does have a cougar alert posting. That keeps me from going alone most of the time. I have only seen one cougar in my life up close and this was the region.

The pond is lovely ... the river is flowing... it is a lovely out and back. There are also several little side trails to venture off and explore.

We exited on Horseshoe Ridge and continued down until the road ended and the trail began.

It was a really pleasant partial shade/partial sun lake walk and foliage walk through the hills.

We saw plenty of Miner's Lettuce and Turkey Tail on our walk more inland. Definitely a gradient scale with elevation.

I can't wait to come back :)!

Nice and easy trail to pond. And easy access to the lake. Check your dogs for ticks, my dogs were covered with them yet they never left the trail. Poison Oak is pretty rampant as well.

So, two parts to this. Great, absolutely AMAZING AND BEAUTIFUL Hike for seasoned hikers and fit persons. Not a hike for children, and your dog WILL get covered in ticks. A wonderful part of God’s Creation, but not for the faint of heart or light of feet.
It’s 14 miles round trip, and I had a 7, 14, and 16 year old with me. Oh, and this was their fist hike. Please know, you’ve been warned.

Beautiful hike on springtime, great shade along the way, my 11 years old boy went the whole way, my 8 years old daughter stopped with mom half way to enjoy the water and take some flowers photos.

Scenic easy hike, well shaded with bits of wildlife here and there. Will be back.

We had a great time here! There are lots of opportunities to hike shore-side, when the water levels permit, and beat your own path - the trail is great too! Well shaded for a good portion along the trail but not many places to pull off and relax if you’re looking for a lot of open, private picnic space. There were tons of horses along this trail when we went so something to be aware of if you have dogs that spook or are personally not comfortable. Overall, it was a great way to spend a couples hours over the weekend!

Only tricky part, almost forgot, is parking. If you enter in from the residential side, you won’t be able to park too close to the trail, but you can park in the neighbor about 2-3 streets from the gate though. Be mindful of the parking restrictions because the neighbors said they do ticket and tow.

Excellent for a moderate stroll. Super kid, dog and new-hiker friendly. Low water level this year

Nice trail. Not exactly stroller friendly, but you can do it if you have help in a few spots. Went with 5 kids the 2 youngest being 3 years old and they all did great.

Great for kids

The beginning of the trail is not very clearly marked. Parts of the trail seemed to diverge but again, no obvious markings or signs on where each leads to. I had to check on the AllTrails app once in a while with GPS to know that I was on the right path. Mostly shaded path though parts of the trail can be quite narrow. Access to Folsom Lake is possible if you look for forked paths around the pond. The pond itself, however, wasn’t much of a view in late summer when we visited. Our 5-yr-old had no trouble completing the trail. It was an easy hike for the older kids (7 & up).

Friday, June 09, 2017

The start of the trail is not clearly marked and it cost $12 to get into the park. However, the $12 does allow all day access to Folsom Lake, pretty nice.
To find the trail to Avery's Pond it's best to park in the equestrian parking. The trail is, for the most part, shaded and this time of year has lovely wildflowers, butterflies, and caterpillars. The pond is a sweet spot with plenty of rainbow trout. Overall very nice.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Great shady trail. Lots of poison oak close to trail on both sides tho.

Monday, April 10, 2017

By far my favorite trail on Folsom Lake. Wide enough to walk side by side with your hiking buddy most of the way. Natural spring and breathtaking pond.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Monday, March 13, 2017

Great hike with two 7 year olds. Pond full of turtles. Great place to picnic.

Friday, March 10, 2017

Holy roasted ticks Batman!!! The lower trail is not just muddy, a lot of it has been blocked by fallen trees, landslides, etc. we had to eventually climb up the face of hills, because we ran out of trail to hike. when we finally got home, our dog had 8 ticks. she does have flea and tick treatment. if you plan on going on this hike, do not bring your pets, and stay on the main trail. it may be a lot of incline, but it is much safer, especially for inexperienced hikers.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Great trail for a run but definitely not a good one to bring a dog to. We had to turn back half way to the pond due to all of the ticks. Would try it again to see the pond but definitely without our dog.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Great easy family trail to hike. It has a picnic table area or some around the pond. nice scenery and only like 2 miles in and 2 miles out.

Friday, December 02, 2016

Easy hike but wasn't much of a view

Friday, October 21, 2016

My 3 boys went with me, stopped n watched turtles ate lunch then headed back. Great time!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

It is easy to hike but don't try to hike down the pond. It is a little hiking to get back up if you do.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Tics everywhere. Pulled about 8 off my dog. Not worth the hike.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

The trail to Avery's Pond was a nice easy hike. Not many people on the trail today. Most of trail was shaded. Lots of poison oak like others mentioned. Pond area is peaceful. Great day hike for any level hiker.

Monday, June 20, 2016

There is no parking at the trailhead. You can park on a side street a few blocks west. There is a lot of poison oak so beware. It is well shaded with lovely views of the lake. After you pass the boat launch, the trail is easy to confuse. If there isn't a lot of horse poop, you are on the wrong trail. It is the Pony Express trail so it has horses on it often.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Decent hike and nice pond at the end. There's not much to see on the hike, and the trail is pretty narrow for the most part. Keep an eye out for poison oak! The pond is nice and looked like it would be great for fishing, but my friends and I walked right over to the lake where there was a great spot to stop and swim. The water was perfect. There was also a parking lot about halfway along the trail, so if you want an easier hike or want to fish you could halve your distance. Good trail overall, the lake is always close and there are plenty of paths leading to it.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Beautiful! We loved the pond and turtles!

Monday, May 16, 2016