Avery's Pond is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Newcastle, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 249 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure (parking lot and bathrooms) due to COVID-19. As of June 2020, parking is still closed. Avery's Pond is a beautiful pond near the shores of Folsom Lake.

Parking at Rattlesnake Bar is now OPEN as of 6/5! Don’t pay attention to the signs. Watch out for rattlesnakes and poison oak!

closed

PARKING LOT IS STILL CLOSED. Everyone parked in the side of the road before the closed gate, which was fine, but be aware this will add 2 miles to you hike - it is 1 mile from the closed to gate to the trailhead so two extra miles total. Otherwise, the trail was great! Lots of poison oak though so I wouldn’t call it super kid friendly unless your kid is old enough to understand staying in the middle of the trail and not touching poison oak.

So many trails to choose!! We had a great adventure- plenty to see and do....paved trails for strollers, lakeside trails and more rugged terrain for horses and experienced hikers. We saw folks Paddle boarding, boating, casting practice and saw several wildlife. My 5 year old “can’t wait to go back!”

Just started this hiking adventure, not going to lie the trail was a little hard for me but for most I’m sure it’s easy. The parking was closed so about a mile walk to the trail it’s self. Saw lots of cool butterflies, caterpillars, a California King Snake. It surely is very pretty!

closed

only open if you'd like to park illegally.

Great trail for kids. Beautiful views almost the entire way. Would highly recommend.

Easy path for all levels. Careful for poison oak! Great views and picnic tables for snack or lunch!

Love to just walk here and gather for the week to come - great place

My husband and I just hiked this trail with our four daughters ages 3, 7, 11 and 14. It was a great hike! The pond had several turtles to look at, the girls loved that. There was a grassy area for us to eat and play. The pond is right next to the lake, so we were able to play at the lake too. Lots of horses, which was fun to see as well. Would highly recommend this hike for families!

Lots of poison oak... but cute trail. Easy for kids.

Faux spring and beautiful trail and pond.

Really enjoyed this tranquil and scenic trail. Went with my smaller children (ages 4, 6, and 8). Just long enough to be challenging for them but not so strenuous that we had to carry them. All in all a really pretty and well kept trail.

We went to this trail straight out of the Rattlesnake Bar Parking Area. Worked great, just an IMMEDIATE climb on a washed out trail. The remainder of the trail was great: in good shape, slight inclines & declines, not overly rocky & plenty of space in most spots to let people pass. Saw lots of kiddos from small toddler to teenagers and a few dogs. The pond itself is a cool spot - several picnic tables, open areas and adjacent to some pretty nice beach area.

This was a pleasant surprise. I have lived in the area and didn’t know about this gem. Would do this again! Note very busy so that’s a definite plus. Note: my trip was during early spring so don’t know if the scenery would be as good during late summer.

fee

FYI it’s $12 to park, outrageous.

fee

Great trail if you love mushrooms. It is very chilly I would definitely recommend bringing a scarf or a beanie or a hooded sweatshirt for those parts of the trail. Expect a little mud, nothing too messy but be aware that if your shoes don’t have grip you may slide. My sister slipped a couple times. There were lots of resting places and we love taking pictures and this trail definitely has breathtaking areas that are great for them.

Nice hike around a pond. Minimal bugs. Not very busy when we went. I would say it’s easy overall, but moderate at the beginning/end due to rocky hill.

fee

It’s fine, easy, and dog friendly. Use your leash, I’m not worried about my dogs I’m worried about your dogs.

Easy and pleasant hike to do with dogs and/or kids. Bring a snack or lunch to have at the pond.

Took us 1.5 hr to complete 2.7 miles with 3 adults and 2 kids. Gorgeous view of the pond!

fee

Great Fall warm day for the hike. Shade was my friend. Perfect for my knees. Glad to see other hikers, dogs and horses. I must’ve missed the $12 fee notice. Bring exact change.

Awesome trail! You get to see Folsom lake and have great views. The beginning of the trail is a bit uneven but the rest is perfect. Brought our dog on a leash and there is even a turn out where you can sit by the lake.

an easy hike and a beautiful walk.

We hiked this trail on a Saturday morning. Be sure to bring $12 cash to park. There is a bathroom near the trail head. You will hike through the woods with glimpses of Folsom Lake and end at Avery‘s pond. Instead of going right to loop around (I think?), we went left and ended up on the main road. We hiked about half a mile further to check out Mormon’s Ravine, which featured a bridge, a waterfall, and some lovely Cascades, then returned the way we came.

closed

This was my first time doing a trail run - saw good reviews about how easy it was and nice fauna so figured I'd go try it. When I went, I found several trees had fallen into the path. It was cool at first to jump through them, but it just got tiring after a while. At one point, a segment of the entire trail was missing - I'm not sure if this was intentional or if the ledge just collapsed but it was actually dangerous. and not doable for families going with their toddlers and such. I enjoyed the "tomb raider"-like experience of having to go through trees and rock climb a bit but I was really hoping for an easy trail run. I couldn't get to the pond at the end because there was a over growth of poison oak that I really was not prepared to go through.