Avery's Pond

Avery's Pond is a 2.7 mile loop trail located near Newcastle, California that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Avery's Pond is a beautiful pond near the shores of Folsom Lake.

Did this hike in the spring. Was a nice trail! Minimal foot traffic in the early morning, but definitely picked up a bit later in the morning/early afternoon.

Went on Fathers Day, Sunday 6/17/18, arrived at about 9:45 and left at about noon. Me, my wife, an infant in a chest carrier and a toddler in a backpack carrier. It’s a busy “trailhead”, basically a boat ramp for the north part of Folsom Lake. But what a hike! Minimal elevation change, plenty of tree cover, not too much foot traffic. The pond is fine....there’s a nice quarter-mile loop around it. I recommend a right turn at the entry to the pond, which will lead you to a wide gravelly lakefront beach. We had a picnic, watched the boats, and threw rocks into the lake. Great day. Seemed like foot traffic was increasing significantly as we hiked out in the late morning.

Great hike! Perfect for beginners and also perfect for doggies! My dog loved it. She saw a lot of lizards, ducks and turtles. We also saw an otter swimming around. Easy to find, easy parking, and beautiful views. Highly recommend this hike!

Totally an enjoyable hike. Took our youngest grandson (12 years of age) and he found it fun and a very easy walk. We saw a river otter in the pond swimming and a dozen turtles sun bathing on logs. Met horses along the trail and enjoyed an abundance of wildflowers. Good fir family hiking - almost anyone can make this short hike without any great efforts.

I am not quite sure where the trailhead, but I followed a path to the left of the boat launch and followed the river as far as I could.

Beautiful meadow with lots of butterflies. Rocky here and there. Spiders but only if you went into the brush.

Trail was not marked and hard to follow, but there were many different paths and it wasn't hard to find my way back.

$12 to park, Restroom near the boat launch. Perhaps the ranger had a better map.

Nice spring hike for the butterflies and soft light. Well shaded but mosquitoes near the water and parts that were sunny. I'd probably come back here to get in the water. The trail wasn't amazing, but perfect for a light nature hike away from Sacramento.

Great hike with kids! We started from the boat ramp area - there’s a paved sidewalk headed into the woods which leads to a clearer path at the top of the ramp. A little confusing but makes sense once you get started.

We saw turkey, fish, ducks, lizards, lots of butterflies and turtles - a great and easy place for young and beginning hikers.

Very easy for the family. We went on a Tuesday during spring break so families were on the trail with a bunch of kids. Perfect for dogs as well. Great spots to hang out and read or just chill. We went after a week of rain so it was very green and a little muddy. When you see “horse assembly” drive up that gravel hill and there is parking right next to the trail head. There isn’t very many signs so it can get a bit confusing.

The best trail for a short and fun weekend walking/hiking

Great hiking trail for families and kids. Exposed to the West so sunny in the winter. Great views over the lake, Avery’s pond is peaceful and calm. Access to the lake is easy. Beaches are nice and there are lots of wildlife (geese, ducks, crane, red head woodpeckers, deers). Will definitely do it again.

Loved it

It was a nice little hike/walk but there was a lot of horses and dogs on the trail. It made it a little hard because the trail is very narrow and we had dogs. Every time someone wanted to pass we had to squish aside and some people’s horses weren’t good around dogs. Glad I got it checked off my list but won’t be returning.

Nice easy trail for families and dogs. Would love to see a restroom on the route for little ones, but I know it costs $$$.

Came here with my family today and we had a great time! My kids loved it. The bridges were cute and I loved the little well/stream just before you enter the pond area. We had lunch at one of the picnic tables. We’d definitely do this hike again.

Great hike for me and my dog. She was off leash most of the time. We came across people on horses so beware if your dog isn't familiar with them and lots of horse poop. There are no trash receptacles along the way so you have to hold on to your doggy poop bags until the end. There are two parking lots, one for the boat launch then up further is a regular lot. most people parked near the boat launch. Sunday afternoon was perfect. maybe 20 people. Averys pond is a mile hike to it then you can wrap around the pond and get a look at Folsom lake I believe. very pretty scenery and mostly shaded the whole way. There are also other routes you can take to have a longer hike. The trail starts near the boat launch then you have to vear right to Averys pond.
I did find a few ticks on my dog, so beware.

Easy hike for the family on a Saturday morning. Follow the directions on the App, easy access to the river from the pond, picnic tables are located around the pond if you want to take a break and relax.

This was a really nice hike, perfect for a late start. There's a short distance uphill with ruts at the first part, but then it's mostly level the rest of the way. The pond is really pretty, and then you come to the river. We had our dog off leash and encountered a couple of horses, so if your dog is weird around them, best not to have them off leash. Our dog had a blast playing in the river. Saw lots of fish jumping too. Definitely a hike you can bring the kids on. If you want a challenging hike, this isn't the one, but it was perfect for the time we had available. Would go again. One warning - our dog had quite a few tiny burrs that were hard to find. Just be diligent in looking between their toes, etc.

This was a great tail, easy hike, with great views and places to stop and rest. With the detour to the powerhouse we hiked about two hours. The trail head was located at the boat ramp so we parked in the boat launch parking lot. Once at the trail, head to the top of the hill and to the right. We made our way to the backend of the pond, and took a new trail head (this was our detour to the Natomas Powerhouse). This trail continues behind the power house and around the other side of the lake. We went some ways around the other side of the lake, and got a great view of the powerhouse from the other side. From here to turned around and made our way back to the pond. We took the loop around the other side of the pond and saw a big turtle! We are beginners and I would recommend this trail for a fun, easy day, with lots to see.

Super kid friendly. 90%shady

Monday, August 14, 2017

I really liked this trail. The easiest access seems to be at the horse assembly before you get to the boat launch. It says "closed area" but that only refers to motor vehicles. It is an easy trail and really pretty.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Best place to fish caught 8 fish today only bad thing is all the horse poop it's every where

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Beautiful easy hike, not too far out of town. It does cost $12 to get in which I didn't expect but it was pretty worth it!! We will be back!

Thursday, May 11, 2017

This is an easy, mostly level trail to hike...lots of shade with views of where the American River flows into Folsom Reservoir. There are some picnic tables near the pond to have a bite. The trail is shared with horses. Paved parking lot with bathrooms. You'll love this hike!!

Sunday, January 01, 2017

The trail was beautiful and we had a great time however at the finish, I was taking all of the burrs out of my dogs fur on his legs when I realized he had many, many ticks on him. I had mistakenly thought ticks were more of an issue during the summer months. Fortunately I only had a couple and my daughter had just 1 and all were picked off before we left for home. I'd love to return because it really was a nice hike with ferns flanking us in parts, however I think next time we'll wear white and leave our doggie at home.

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Nice short hike, pretty views of the North Fork American River. Pond area has several nice picnic tables around. However, it was pretty muddy in spots, granted rain had been earlier in the week, but some areas do not drain well.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Very nice quit place in nature, clean crisp air, nice little family adventure trek. Dog and baby had so much fun.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

A good little nature walk