Shady Creek Trail to Ridgeline Trail Loop

Shady Creek Trail to Ridgeline Trail Loop is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pleasanton, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

2096 feet

First, there’s parking along Longview Dr where you can walk up to the trailhead. At the private drive that goes back to the trail I was greeted by a few dozen wild turkeys. They were very vocal on the early Saturday morning.

As I followed the track north on Toyon, I came across a sign that said “private property, no public traffic.” So I thought that was the wrong way to go. And there was another single track path leading up the ridge, so I went that way instead. Well that was a little regrettable. It was like trying to hike up a steep, muddy slip n slide as there was a heavy rain just two days prior. I got up eventually, passing a few deer along the way. But as I was heading back down the ridge and past that same area with the sign, I saw a bunch of MTB’ers coming out of that trail. So it seems as though the “front nine” trail is fair game after all.

Oh I and I saw a coyote at the northern end of the ridge trail where you make a left toward shady creek. Took a picture of it before it scampered off into the brush.

And you can mostly MTB this entire trail. There are a couple of short hiker-only sections (Toyon, Chaparral trails) in Augustin Bernal Park, but there are MTB friendly trails that bypass them.

The views can’t be beat. On the way up the “front 9” section of the trail passes through a gate that says “keep off” but it appears to be a nongovernmental sign. This section all the way up to the ridge is quite steep, unimproved, and is often used by mountain bikers coming down rapidly. One must be very careful.