Arroyo Pescadero and Deer Loop Trail

Arroyo Pescadero and Deer Loop Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Whittier, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It’s a great spot for an easy to moderate hike through the California terrain. Accessible via an ornate gate off of westbound Colima road. Takes about an hour or so to complete the entire loop and there are some mild inclines at some points whether you start out on the left hand side path or the right hand path. I went right as a an out-of-shape noob as opposed to left, which apparently is said to be the best workout. While you get a decent amount of incline even when using the right hand path, I can see how going left would yield a longer length of incline. Still, I felt as though my blood was pumping when I finished my trek but not as though I’d pass out from it which was my goal all along. I like this spot for the dedicated FREE parking at the trail head. Although small, i had no problem finding a spot on a 1:00pm Sunday afternoon as it didn’t seem to be highly trafficked. There’s a porta potty and water fountain in the lot as well as lots of signage to either teach you about the area’s fauna or to guide you as you hike about in and out of the valley. There’s a mix of dirt paths and paved paths. Great views of the city and hillside. Just watch out for dog or horse poo and take some water. I’ll be coming back to this spot for sure.

It's a good beginner hike or just a quick fun cardio session for those with hiking experience! If you want it to be more on the moderate side like it mentions, start by going to the left, it is more uphill with some good hills to get your blood flowing.

Not good to hike. It’s a plain straight trail with a lot of dog turd. It’s good for a simple run.

This hike should be labeled easy and not moderate. However, it's a nice hike for the area and a good place to do trail running. There is a small parking lot available.

Nice walk for kids and parents with strollers. Uphill portions are not too bad.

Nice beginners hike - a few inclines, but nothing crazy! Once you hike just a little ways in, all the ambient noise of nearby streets disappears. Not much to see in particular along the short Deer Trail loop, but a nice way to add some distance if that's what you're looking for. There's a convenient free, dedicated parking lot for the trail right off Colima Rd.

Love this trail for running and for endurance building . Best place to start running and getting used to those incline routes ☺️

This hike was nice, but not amazing. Very dry. We went very early in the morning but I can imagine it'd be pretty miserable with the sun beaming on you. It is a good option, however, for a quick easy/moderate hike if you live in the area. My dog enjoyed exploring the brush and sniffing bunnies.

It's very dry, but still interesting. Make sure you bring water and sunscreen, especially if you hike during the afternoon. There are a few scenic spots. There's a moderate incline toward the end if you take the suggested route, so make sure you still have the energy to make it back up!

Easy trail. Nice location

Very easy trail. I'd recommend doing it backwards. We went to the right when we started and went down a hill for over a mile. Going to the left and then up that hill at the end would be a much better workout.

GREAT HIKING TRAIL MOUNTAIN LION SIGN READ IT BEFORE HIKING DONT HAVE EARPHONES I SAY HI TO FEW PEOPLE THEY COULD NOT HEAR ME BECAUSE STUPID EARPHONES NOW IMAGINE A MOUNTAIN LION BE CARE GUYS HAPPY TRAILS

Monday, April 10, 2017

Great hike

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Not many people out here today. Flora is nice, lush and green. Sweet aromas fill the air as well. Very nice hike today.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

This is a decent trail. not much for views. We mentioned to do the Arroyo Grande Trail but ended up doing this one instead. The distance is just right if you have small kids or want to take it easy.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Great trail, Be cautious hiking in the early morning hours. I encountered two coyotes just entering the deer loop this morning about 7:20 am. The first one was on the trail and I seen him as he spotted me and he froze and so did I. Seconds later a second coyote came out the brush and I started walking backwards and hitting a stick on the pavement to make noise. They did not run away they just stood in that area and as soon as I got out of eye view of them I ran as fast as I could up the hill being watchful of them following me. It didn't seem like they were afraid of me but I was not waiting around to investigate. Be very away of your surroundings.

Monday, February 06, 2017

good safe easy trail. I would consider this one easy. no steep hills .

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

great little hike.

Saturday, December 03, 2016

My driver side passenger window was SMASHED and my purse was STOLEN!

Monday, October 24, 2016

Main gate and parking open Sunrise to Sunset. Arroyo Pescadero Trail is 1.8 miles, you can easily add in the deer loop for an additional .8 miles and get in a nice hike. Basic southern California landscape. (Dry). Nice elevation changes and many places to rest for us old timers. Off to the west, at the higher elevations you can see the buildings in downtown LA,

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Easy trail. Didn't see as much dog or horse poop as some of the other reviewers, I thought it was fine. This is an easy hike for beginners. Not many inclines at all but the trail has some nice scenery

Monday, May 02, 2016

I like this trail. Nice morning shade with tranquil scenery. Not too rigorous for beginners but a nice up and downhill hiking.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Nice peaceful trail, only saw two other groups in the two hours we were there. Only a few shady spots but enough to stop for lunch.

Friday, March 18, 2016

Love it

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Overall this trail wasn't bad I went to get out the house and take some pictures I wouldn't recommend this trail only because the parking and location it isn't bad but one week after buying my jeep I took it there and parked it about 45 minutes later I can back to find my passenger window broken with glass everywhere at least keep that in mind they didn't steal a whole lot but now I had to buy a new window just not the best location parking is hidden from the street.

Sunday, December 13, 2015

First time on this trail and it was easy to find. Large wide path so you don't feel cramped when other people are around. You can choose to go up a steep hill or a medium hill. Didn't see any animals and there is no water. Not much shade either so I can imagine summer days can get really hot. Easy for our dogs to do al well.

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Nice and fresh. Good workout!

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Short, good hike. Trail was peaceful, not too many people even on a Saturday morning. So close to Whittier, it's great.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Great quiet trail!

Thursday, July 02, 2015

Safe and easy.
Took my three kids there.
Not much shade and usually a dry heat in the area.
Feces from horses and maybe dogs present enough to make it memorable.