Arroyo Burro Trail

Arroyo Burro Trail is a 9.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Barbara, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I started from Stevens park and the trail takes you all the way to the shooting range..it was a loooooong and grueling walk I wouldn’t recommend this trail for somebody that is going by themselves (like what I did) the first hour was fine then you start having to go uphill for the next hour or so and in some parts the trail cuts off into actually wooded areas where it feels like you are going off the trail but it is the actual trail...it feels like the trail just goes on and on then you get to a point where the trail is blocked by a bunch of bushes where you have to crawl through the bush to get past it...and from that point it took me about an hour to reach the shooting range...overall it took me about 4 hours to get through it but that’s because the trail side tracked me where I had to retrace my steps...but if everything would of went smoothly the hike would take about 3 1/2 hours to complete...my phone died when I was trying to record my journey through this trail but it captured most of it...I definitely recommend this to a group that’s avid hikers this is definitely an expert trail and DO NOT GO ALONE!!!!!

Like walking on pavement?

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Was really excited to do this trail one afternoon after work! It was gorgeous and beautiful until we got maybe 1.5mi in! :( The trial, which is one of the oldest in the area, is so overgrown! We went as far as we could without sacrificing blood. We returned to the trial head and did some of Jesusita. This is why I rated 3 stars

Friday, May 05, 2017

Would probably be a nice hike but once you deviate from the Jesusita trail and get past the paved part, it's way too overgrown right now, I did about 3 miles and turned back.

Sunday, August 02, 2015

Steady and steep until last 1/3, then not well traveled and a lot of brush to deal with. Not well marked at the end.

Sunday, April 07, 2013

4/6/2013 - 5.8mi one way to tip top (4 hrs up, but I'm 60): Above Autograph Rock it got pretty overgrown, but the trail was still visible and I could push through the brush. There was one place where referring to my GPS made it easier to find the trail. The bad part were the TICKS! Thousands! The nice part was there is a small, hidden ravine that you go down into after going up above Autograph Rock and through the ticks. There were even a few places where there were crystal clear creek waters flowing. Very green and nice! When you get to Camino Cielo, go left up the little mountain if you want to get to the highest point you can. At the top was a nice, grassy area with some breeze - great place to rest and watch/listen to the gunfire at the shooting range below (ok, some sarcasm here).

Thursday, November 29, 2012

This trail can be accessed though the front country via Jesusita Trail. Once branching off Jesusita to NW you will cross a private road that leads up a steep winding asphalt road past a stable and a residence. (Please stay on trail and don't take shortcut through fireroad-like I did) You will rejoin fireroad/ utility road and there is a very steep climb that offers beauiful views of Santa Barbara city, ocean, San Roque Canyon. and Cathedral Peak to the left.
The turning point (destination) for most is Autograph Rock where many have carved there name in the soft sandstone. This is a very old trail once used by Chumash to reach Santa Ynez River. Climb continues until you dive back down to San Antonio River bed, and then accend to Camino Cielo Rd. Here you have view of ocean as well as a view of San Rafael Mountain Range.
That's where Arroyo Burro Trail continues down to Paradise Canyon and Red Rock campgroudns. It begins on other side of Camino Cielo Rd. 100 yds after passing shooting range on a unmarked trail that merges off to the LEFT. Make sure to take trail and not the utility road into canyon.
At this poing
This hike on the Southern face on mountain range is one of the less traveled trails in Santa Barbara. Portion of trail after Autograph Rock is for a moderatly experienced hiker who hopefully has a hiking companion.
Hike to Autograph Rock is highpoint of Southern Face.

Monday, January 02, 2017