Arnold Rim Trail is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Arnold, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,404 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Great views of forests, waterfall, canyons, and streams. Many birds and wildlife. Breathtaking vistas with panoramic views stretching from Mt. Diablo in the East Bay Area to snowy Mt. Lyell on the high eastern slopes of the Sierras near Yosemite, then dive down into canyons with streams coursing through the shade of older growth forests of cedar, pine, fir and oak. High rocky promontories, native acorn grinding rocks, a magnificent waterfall, many birds and wildlife of all kinds, and a lake.

10/16/19- Wednesday- 8am to 10am- 55 degrees. Only had time to go an hour in and back. If I had more time it was prob another half hour to the falls overlook. Probably 3-4 hours round trip depending on your speed and if you languish at the overlook. There were no bugs until an hour in, where the sun had already warmed up the air and that’s about the time I said nope, turned around (I had to get back anyhow). If I had continued a bandanna or face mask, face net would’ve been nice to have. All in all I found it to be a decent cardio work out, lots of soft ground to run, and good variations in going up at down. Mostly walking through the forest floor so not a lot of vistas. Lots of beautiful leaves changing for the fall.

Great hike but bring bug net to cover head. Flys are everywhere

I enjoyed this trail, very few people and well marked and maintained.

Looks like the main trail is currently closed.

Start with the positives. We started from the logging museum, which had an interesting outdoor exhibit. Good place to park and start from (though no toilets). Total hike was 7.75 miles round trip from here. The first mile was a paved path, handicap accessible. We picked this trail because friends of friends had said they liked it and the reviews in here seemed good. The trail was well marked until the last sign which people have felt confused by. But basically, we did not like this trail and will not ever go back. In fact it rates near the bottom of all hikes we have done. Why? Could be in part that the day prior’s hike to Wheeler Lake was so spectacular. But we both felt the same way. Let’s break it down. Tight, closed in trail with no scenic views at all. Just forest and lots of fallen trees. Very dusty and dirty feeling, and very hot. Our hike was 7/21/19; it’s probably nicer in fall or spring. Lots of mountain bikers sharing the trails with us. No water except if you can count the paltry San Antonio Creek at the end. Maybe more of a creek or waterfalls earlier in the year. There was a “fall” in the creek about 8’ tall, but not enough water to call it a waterfall, and the entire creek-bed and “fall” was crammed with fallen trees. This was at close to 4 miles in after following all the posts, so I think we saw what there was to see. At the fork in the road that others mentioned, we took the turn right to go down to the creek. If there were better waterfalls or a bigger creek, we never found it; could be that earlier in the year it is more spectacular with more water and also not so hot.

Great hike with beautiful views. if you're looking for the falls take the trail to San Antonio creek not the falls overlook.

Arnold Rim Trail (ART) is a fantastic trail! The first approx. three quarters of a mile is a wide paved path, feeling more like a nature walk. Then it becomes a dirt trail that is relatively easy for 2-2.5 miles and the end is solidly moderate with steeper grades (both up and down). Beautiful changing scenery! We went over a holiday weekend and came across hikers and cyclists pretty consistently but even then it never felt crowded. Bring your dog! Saw many happy dogs both on leash and off. A few PSAs: -It is more like 8-8.4 mi out and back vs. 7.4 mi in the AllTrails description. (There are a few trail options so you could spend much longer hiking around as well.) -Don’t start at the Valley View Rd in the “getting there” description. This isn’t the ART trailhead but instead the P9 access trail that connects to ART which looks to be just as long as ART and would make it a ~16mi hike. I suggest starting at the Sierra Logging Museum - there are parking areas and a well marked trail head. -The trail is well marked for 3-3.5 miles with “ART” markers (stick to the main ART trails rather than equestrian ones). After that it’s not. The AllTrails map here will take you to the bottom of San Antonio (SA) Creek at the sharp hairpin turn. On the trail, it will tell you to keep going straight for ART. If you want to make it to the top then go straight to follow ART and then lookout for signs for “SA falls overlook” - typically the higher up trail. There are a few smaller trails that look like they take you down to the creek which are more steep. Any and all of these trails are great, just be aware which you are on and where you are going! -The top is very high and rocky so if you’re not comfortable with heights consider taking the SA creek trail to the bottom instead. If you are fine with heights then go to the top! Views are amazing.

This was a great trail. Mostly shaded, well maintained with signage and the path was cleared. Access to a lookout point over the valley and to the top of a waterfall with swimming holes. Brought our dogs, allowed off leash, and they loved it.

Great trail, maintained very well. As you approach the top of the waterfall you’ll see tens of thousands ladybugs, I went in June and creek was flowing quite well.

Signage was confusing for us. But today was beautiful weather was awesome

My family and I hiked this today, definitely enjoyable. The temperature was just right, not to hot or cold. Saw an amazing ladybug swarm next to San Antonio Creek, got to see the falls up close, spent a wonderful time with the family, the dogs did wonderful, everyone we meet on the trail was nice and enjoying themselves as well. The only thing we'll do better next time is bring more water!

WOW!! Did this one yesterday.. 6-14-19 started at 7:30 ended at 12:30 we had lunch at the peak and took in the sound of the water falls.. so beautiful

Great trail, reminds me of hiking in Washington State. And although the trail is clearly marked, there is a point towards the end where there is a fork. Apparently, we found out later, at the fork you choose between the waterfall and the top. The sign at that fork is very misleading. The left, which apparently goes to the top, says “Falls overlook”, which gives off the impression that it is the falls. I think this is where people get confused. We had our 5 kids with us, and it was hot. We took the right trail, thinking that was the top. In the end, we didn’t see the falls OR the top. We were already pushing a 10 mile hike and spent a good hour trying to figure it out that dang fork. We were all really frustrated at the misleading sign. Also, THIS trail map (on all trails) goes to the falls! Based on the description and reviews, we thought it was going to the top! All in all, it was a really frustrating experience. Give me a few days to recover and I’m sure we’ll go back at some point. Maybe without the kiddos.

We accessed the ART via Valley View Drive and took P9 all the way to Cougar Rock and Top of the Mountain, and took P8 back. Beautiful views and well-marked trails. Highly recommended! Keep in mind that you’ll cross the stream about three times on P8. The logs were a bit wobbly, so I walked right through the stream — it wasn’t deep but be careful. Great trail for the pups as well!

This was a great hike. We followed the trail and never found the water or the waterfalls so I’m not sure where we went wrong. But we did get a great view at the top. It also was over 9 miles round trip according to my watch for us but again I think we missed a turn somewhere. But really beautiful and good hike!

Great trail with awesome views.

Great trail! Lots of up and down. Glad it was my opening hike of the season it did not disappoint!

this is a great Trail. Love to go on it, but there does seem to be an exceptionally large amount of bugs, mostly flies throughout the trail for some reason.

Super nice trail in the spring time easy ride for the horses and the dogs loved it ! Super pretty views

Great snow hike.

10/10 recommend!!! I went with my boyfriend and we hiked to the waterfall. The trail has markers that clearly mark the trail so there’s no chance of getting lost. The falls/ view was gorgeous. Definitely going back!!

Amazing Hike! My little family loved every second of it. We hiked about 9 miles through a perfect forest of trees. It felt magical walking through the Arnold Rim Trail. Don’t miss the Waterfall! I HIGHLY recommend hiking to the Overlook. You will not regret the climb for the amazing views ahead! 10/10

Definitely hike to Cougar Rock! Awesome views

Really nicely maintained trail with clear markers. Loved the Fall colors. Stunning view from Cougar Rock.

Monday, September 17, 2018

Sunday, September 09, 2018

A nice easy hike with a moderate elevation gain. would be worth more stars if there were more open vistas. but it's a nice walk in the woods. few flying bugs but didn't need mosquito repellent. we did about 6 miles total out and back in a little over 2 hrs. finished off by heading down to the creek at the bottom, a good place for a picnic, then back via the logging museum, which was very interesting.

Wednesday, September 05, 2018

great trail, lots to see, moderate trail, scenery was gorgeous. spent it with my love, so fun.

Friday, August 10, 2018

Smoke shortened the hike and ruined the views, but was great otherwise. Be careful - very easy to get messed up with many unmarked trails crossing.

Saturday, July 28, 2018

We actually went on this trail two days in a row, and parked at the Valley View drive parking lot both times. The first day we intended to reach Cougar Rock and Top of the World. However, we took a left on the ART instead of a right, so instead we got some beautiful forest. The next day, we took a right on the ART and got to those destinations. Top of the world is not clearly marked but it should be evident once you get to the top of a hill after climbing switchbacks with little blocking foliage. There were a fair number of insects—most harmless flies, but some mosquitoes as well. I highly recommend insect repellent

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Well marked trails and well maintained, lots of points of entry.