Arnold Rim Trail

Arnold Rim Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Arnold, California that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Great views of forests, waterfall, canyons, and streams. Many birds and wildlife. Breathtaking vistas with panoramic views stretching from Mt. Diablo in the East Bay Area to snowy Mt. Lyell on the high eastern slopes of the Sierras near Yosemite, then dive down into canyons with streams coursing through the shade of older growth forests of cedar, pine, fir and oak. High rocky promontories, native acorn grinding rocks, a magnificent waterfall, many birds and wildlife of all kinds, and a lake.

We had a great time hiking to Cougar Rock on the ART today. The sometimes steep terrain was worth the view and the trail was well maintained and manageable even with my children, ages 7 and 11.

We accessed the trail at Valley View Road. The access off this road provides the shortest route to destinations like Cougar Rock and Top of the World according to their website. I downloaded the map on my iPhone on the Avenza app as suggested on their website. It was super helpful and followed our direction even though I had no cell service. The trail is well marked, but can be confusing in some places when the trail intersects with other routes. It also helped to keep us motivated to see how close we were to our destination.

The view from Cougar Rock was awesome, but a little overwhelming and frightening with kids. I kept them close to me, away from the edge, and never took my eyes off them.

My only advice is to use mosquito repellent! We couldn’t explore Coswell Creek (we had to pass through it to get to Cougar Rock) because the mosquitoes were thick and aggressive. We literally had to run through swatting at ourselves to get away.

Overall, an enjoyable day with beautiful scenery.

wonderful views went hiking today and it was cold out when we arrived it was about 10 miles. we had our dog with us and she did fine. didnt see any parking fees so assumed free parking.

This trail will lead you to the S.A. river. But if you continue on down stream another 100yd you come to the top of the waterfall, and for the sure footed you can squeeze around the rocks and make your way under the falls. The water was running so fast we could literally get under the shelf of the water fall for well deserved rest.

One of my favorite trails in Calaveras County! Gorgeous expansive views at Manuel Peak, Cougar Rock, Top of the World and San Antonio Falls. I have been to all of these scenic lookout points, and they never disappoint. The trail is not difficult, but can be challenging at times depending on the direction you're going. I will say that it can be easy to get turned around or lost on this trail due to all the different places you can start it from and all the various spur trails + forestry roads, so just a heads up. Bring a map of it or take a screen shot of the online ART map with your phone...(in case you run out of phone service). Enjoy the trail and please remember to pack out whatever you pack in -- as a local from the surrounding area, this place is special to me. Hoping to keep it that way and nurture the natural beauty! Cheers :)

We started at post #5 took a scenic route back to the Falls overlook. What a workout. My two kids 10&12 did great but we were all exhausted after the 9.70 miles. So many different views. It was an overcast day so one day I will have to return for a clear day. The top of the world is amazing but the falls is well worth the extra jaunt. Can’t wait to explore more of ART!

Awesome trail , cant wait to bring friends to see the falls

Started from the Meadowmont neighborhood access point (there’s a few parking spaces at the trailhead at the brown gate) and ended at Manuel Peak (Top of the World). The hike took about an hour RT and was almost 3 miles. Perfect sunset hike, ending on the ridge with a view of purple pink skies and hiking back looking at the moon (bring a light for the way back!).

Definitely know where you are going.
I am pretty sure we started at the beginning, a parking lot in Arnold at a park and museum around, at 6:30.
The goal was to get to the "top of the world" view, but at a fork, 3 miles in, we took the wrong trail and ended up down at a creek. Do not follow the AllTrails app, it will lead you to the creek. Make sure to take the ALTERNATE ROUTE maker if you want to get to the top and see the fall. The creek was pretty, but definitely a little bit of a downer.
I brought my 35lb pack for training and would consider this trail easy. For the most part, you are headed uphill on your way back.
We got to see a bear right at the beginning of the trail! There are some breathtaking parts. There are a couple parts where the trail is lined with small christmas trees (idk what they actually are) on both sides and it looks and smells wonderful!
You don't pass any water, at least this time of year, unless you head down to the creek, so make sure to pack enough water.

A wonderful trail with a breathtaking view! It was just me and my dog the whole time. Give yourself enough time to hang out and enjoy the view for a while! Enjoy!

Easy hike- part of the trail is paved then it gets beautifully rough and muddy.

Beautiful foggy, drizzly November day. Saw one other person in two hours of hiking.

we did this trail to "The top of world" on 9/29/17. Beautiful trail through the forest till the very end. We too a side trail for a bit and the "steep" portion of 0.7 miles that felt like much more. Take the alternate route if you want an easier hike ( at appx 2.7 miles in) clearly marked. at the top of the world you are rewarded with an almost 360 degree view for many many miles....worth the hike up.
I had read an earlier review that says " not for children or grandma". .I am 63 and have problems with my knees, hips and back....and I am just dumb enough to take that as a challenge..they may have been right, but I survived. sore but glad I went. Took us about 6 hours. we did a bit on a side trail and ended up doing 10 miles. mosquito netting for your face would be a very good idea!

Beautiful, alternate routes are a bit steep. Wound up doing about 12 miles. Bring lots of water and watch out for snakes.

It's beautiful! Will go back again. Some dog owners are naive and let their dogs walk off leash knowing they're harmful.. my dog (miniature toy poodle) almost got attacked by a German shepherd.. if it wasn't for me hugging her against a tree she would've been dead. They have signs everywhere to keep dogs on leash. Signs are there for a reason.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Beautiful, shaded and Easy even for the average hiker.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Beautiful hike, definitely moderate and may be difficult for beginners. San Antonio Falls overlook is beautiful but the actual SAF are easily missed if you don't go beyond the initial rocks. The trail down to the creek can be easily missed, but ask others on the hike and from my experience, everyone was friendly and willing to give you directions. I did both the hike up the SAF (ART overlook) and down to the stream and ended up doing 11 miles. Worth it! Very important, buy insect repellent (mosquitoes are aggressive lol) and of course, sunblock.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Beautiful single track trails, with some amazing views and waterfall. Great for training or hiking.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Love this trail. There are many side trails and entrances which make it easy to get disoriented. Luckily there are always a lot of hikers, at least on the weekends.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Great trail! It ended up being almost 8.5 miles round trip if you go all the way to the creek.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Very technical for trail running! Loved
It!

Monday, October 24, 2016

2016년 10월 22일 산행후기입니다.
산행지 : Arnold Rim Trail / 10mile
이동경로 : Sam's club - hwy 50 - Latrobe rd - hwy 16 - hwy 49 - hwy 4 - Sierra Nevada Logging Museum

온몸에 가을이 스며들듯 변해가고 있는 가로수들이 아침 햇살에 가을 빛을 더하며 집결지로 향하는 우리들의 마음을 한껏 들뜨게 하는 토요일 아침이다. 2시간을 조금 못 미쳐 이동해야 하는 구간, Latrobe rd을 비추는 태양 빛의 한 모퉁이에 기대하지 않았던 무지개, 해무리가 우리의 산행길을 축복하듯 귀한 손짓을 해주신다. 시작부터 기분이 좋아진다. 무슨 좋은 일이 있으려나?! hwy 49를 달리며 언제부터인지 모르겠으나 이길이 이제는 마을 길처럼 편안하고 친숙하게 느껴짐을 새삼 알게된다.^^. hwy 4번에 접어들자 색다른 느낌의 풍광, 넓은 들판을 시작으로 숲이 어울어진 마을 길로 자연스럽게 들어선다. 길은 해발 고도 3000 feet를 넘어 더 높이 더 깊이 우리를 정겹고도 반가운 숲으로 이끈다.

지난 해 이맘 때, 몇번이나 오고자 했으나 우천으로 못 왔었던 Arnold Rim Trail, 한껏 무르익은 가을을 배경으로 기분 좋게 산행을 시작해 본다. 아스팔트로 포장된 인공인듯 아닌 듯 낙엽 쌓인 트레일이 보는 것 만으로 가을의 정취를 물씬 느끼게 한다. 생각지 못했던, 크게 기대하지 않았던 가을 산행에 시작부터 행복 만땅, 기분 최고다. 숲이 만들어내는 가을 빛은 예술 그 자체인 듯 그 속에 발을 들여놓은 이들의 탄성을 자아내기에 전혀 부족함이 없다. 숲의 맑고 깨끗한 공기를 보약 마시듯 감사와 감동으로 한 숨이라도 더 마시려는 듯 저마다 한껏 가슴을 부풀려 본다. 화사한 듯 화려한 단풍 꽃길을 지나니 피톤 치드가 넘쳐나는 숲길이 오르락 내리락 우리의 심장을 춤추게 하며 다시금 우리의 건강을 돌아보게 하는 듯 하다.

산행의 중간, 넒은 산길이 우릴 맞는다. 가을 하늘 아래 걷는 편안한 능선길, 두 세명이 함께 걸을 수 있으니 여기 저기 얘기 꽃이 정겨운 꽃잎을 활짝 펼치며 산행의 색 다른 재미와 맛을 더하는 듯 하다. 즐거운 우릴 시기하듯 달려드는 날파리들의 방해를 이겨내니? 우릴 맞이한 것은 업힐(uphill)이다. 이미 익숙한듯 묵묵히 오르시는 님들의 뒤를 받쳐 따르는 나의 호흡이 힘겹게 가파라 질 즈음, 고지에 먼저 도착하신 분들은 벌써 식사 준비 중이시다. 다들 배가 고프시단다. 최종 목적지, Top of the world가 눈 앞인데... 어쩌랴 국민의 뜻을 따라야지 ^^

언제나 감사하고 정겨운 식사를 마치고 말로만 듣던 Top of the world로 출발! 가는 길 중간의 탁 트인 능선에서 발길을 멈추고 모두가 경치 감상이다. 무르익은 가을 하늘 아래 넓게 펼쳐진 치마자락 처럼 넉넉한 숲, 저 멀리 하늘 거리는 능선들을 바라보며 다들 무슨 생각들을 하셨을까? 그 와중에 대장님을 비롯한 몇몇 분들이 먼저 Top of the world에 도착하셔서 나머지 분들을 호출하신다. 자꾸 부르시니 안 갈 수도 없고 못 이기는 척 멀게 느껴지는 지척의 그곳으로 마지못해 발걸음을 옮겨본다. 그러나 왠걸 "Top of the world"라는 나무 판자를 보자 저마다 판자를 들고 마치 세상의 'Top', 꼭대기에 선 듯 포즈를 취하며 사진 찍기에 바쁘다. 저마다 힘들게 올라온 보람을 만끽해 본다.^^.

돌아오는 길, 다시 한번 단풍 꽃길에서 즐겁게 사진도 찍고 얘기도 나누며 아쉬운 산행을 마무리 한다. 산행 후, 트레일 헤드 바로 옆에 있는 Sierra Nevada Logging Museum에 들러 그 옛날 숲에서 나무를 자르고 나르고, 목재를 생산하던 이들의 모습을 엿보는 기회를 가지며 기념 사진을 찍어본다.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Awesome trail! My wife and I came to Arnold during our 13th anniversary and found this trail. What a good hike! Beautiful country!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

great trail that interfaces with the US Forest Service trails/roads.

Does anyone know a map that shows both sets of trails with markings?

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Beautiful trails! Wish we could have found the waterfall.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Great trail. What a beautiful hike. Will do again.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Loved it. Beautiful hike not many people at all on this trail.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Beautiful and moderately challenging for us for folk. Beware of poison oak!

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Beautiful trails and amazing views at the destination! Don't take the alternate route- no need -and it cost us an extra 2.5 miles!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

This was a great hike! Make sure to have your own map with you because the trail markers can be confusing for first timers.

Monday, March 16, 2015

The Arnold Rim Trail is a new trail that connects older existing trails and some dirt logging roads that are no longer in service into one very long trail. There are three main trail heads with enough parking for horse trailers, trucks and plenty of cars. This trail is very much a long walk through the forest. Mostly evergreens with oak mixed in. Be sure to visit the Arnold Rim Trail website to download a map. Although the trail is marked, there are many intersecting paths and old roads splitting and veering off everywhere along the way so it can become confusing at times staying on the true path. I would recommend a GPS for this one. If not, make sure to mark your trail as you pass through the various splits in the path, as this is long trail and it can be hard backtracking out the first few times. This is one of the better trails around for mt. biking. Not a lot of rocks for the most part and plenty long enough for a good workout. A nice place for horsebacking too. Shady in the summer with nothing too treacherous. The trail's highlights are Cougar Rock and The Top of the World. The best place to access the trail to find these spectacular vistas is the Valley View Drive parking area, which is near the middle of the trail. You can reach these spots on foot from the lower trail head on Avery Sheep Ranch Road but it's a good 8 to 9 miles total and steep for a long portion. I've done it, but it's not for the little ones or grandma. These vistas are breathtaking however and worth the effort. I will try to get back out there for some photos and a more accurate mileage estimate. The upper trail head near The Logging Museum is easiest to find but not as spectacular in my opinion. I give this trail 5 stars because of the tremendous amount of volunteer work done in creating and maintaining this magnificent trail and because of the length and beautiful location of this trail. The Arnold Rim Trail is still under construction and will continue expand which makes it even better still.