Aptos Creek and West Ridge Trail Loop to Sand Point Overlook

Aptos Creek and West Ridge Trail Loop to Sand Point Overlook is a 15.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Aptos, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2017 feet

A beautiful and longer hike that goes to the Sand Point overlook.

Lots of different trails to explore here for a fairly easy hike. Not a lot of traffic, lush greenery and allows dogs. If you cross the bridge and follow the trail back you can find a rope to swing on which is super fun!

Beautiful hike! Lots of trees and shade. I gave it a four starts because some trails were blocked by knocked off trees and parking area is really small. Other than that, I strongly recommend.

Hiked from the parking area before the iron bridge. Started with an unmarked trail to the right (south) of the parking area for a warm-up loop hike before continuing up the Aptos Creek Fire Rd to Sand Point Overlook, before returning along the West Ridge Trail with minor reroute for added distance. total hike was 16 miles with 2,665 Ft of elevation gain. The Forest of Nisene Marks is a beautiful redwoods forest, with only a few bike riders and even less hikers, so you can here yourself think, the birds' singing, and the ocean breeze running through the forest canopy. Very pleasurable hike but I still have more trails to explore in this forest.

A dog walk from the end of the Aptos Road parking area. Sadly the app does not do a good job of identifying the connecting trails that are NOT dog friendly. The Aptos Road is very nice but busy. Once again we came to signs at all other trials that dogs were not permitted. We went rogue again and uses the West Ridge Trail which was awesome. No complaints from the few hikers we saw and the few bikers were nothing but gracious. I'm sure we were risking a significant fine but it was worth it! West Ridge is highly recommended!

Quiet and beautiful

Great trail if the weather agrees

Friday, July 01, 2016

Great but prepare for poison oak!

Friday, June 10, 2016

Beautiful trail running! My dog liked it too :)

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

we went to Five Finger Falls Sunday March 28 2016. It was beautiful. The trail was block with trees and land slides but we loop through it and made the 17 miles loop. Lots of water at the falls.

Saturday, March 05, 2016

This hike has great views along the Aptos Trail, not so much when you're on Aptos Creek Fire Rd. If you haven't tried this trail while its raining, I suggest you do. Not for the feint of heart though as going either direction on the Aptos Trail will be hard without hiking sticks.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Great location for families with young kids. If you like hiking in the shade, this is the place for you.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Excellent trail with great views. Side trails also are very fun for experienced hikers with great access to the creek!

Monday, November 30, 2015

We did the hike to the Historic Bridge Site. It's a loop which works out to be about 7.4 mile. Much of it is a narrow footpath high above the forest floor but you also go down and hike along the creek for part of the last leg of the hike. Nice combination of up and down. I would rate it as moderate, as there are a few tricky places that are quite steep. Really beautiful!

Sunday, November 29, 2015

This park is fantastic in its peace and serenity. I loved this hike/run. We started on the loma prieta trail to Big Stump Gap trail then.

Monday, June 29, 2015

Nice park and the trails are ok. Not really a destination hike though. It's the same scenery most the time, especially if you walk on the fire road.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Good - Beautiful scenery and easy trails. Bad - completely useless map available at the ranger station and the trails are not well marked. Very easy to walk in in circles for hours on end in the interconnected loops. There's also several trails that are not on the map. This made getting lost almost s certainty.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Great for biking and running. Shaded area.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Beautiful park, shaded and trails are well marked. I would recommend this hike.

Monday, November 18, 2013

My wife and I rode our mountain bikes here. It was the most beautiful redwood tree forest scenery we ever saw.

Monday, July 08, 2013

Great little place for an overnight tune-up hike, which is what I used it for in preparation for a longer trip to Yosemite. The West Ridge trail is ho-hum, but the trail along Bridge Creek is very pretty and Maple Falls is well worth the walk. The backpacker campground is nice but there is no water nearby, so you have to pack it in.