I took my family to spend the day at the lake. My 3 and 5 year olds hiked in on their own. It's a little strenuous on the way in, but I saw folks of all shapes and sizes making the trek. The short hike is well worth it when you get to the end... and remember, it's downhill on the way back!

Like another poster suggested, you should make a day out of this. Bring a lunch. Wear your swimsuit. Bring a few bucks, in case you want to rent a kayak, row boat, or SUP ($22/hr).

Bring exact change for parking (now, $8). Getting a parking permit is self-service. The El Dorado County Sheriff was in the lot when we came back to our car, so they do check. On the upside, you know your car is secure.

Read what other posters have written on here and Yelp. They are pretty accurate in their assessments.

Note: It says in the above description that you can drive to the lake. This is not correct. They have reserved parking spots in the same parking lot you park in for people staying at the small resort. The resort will truck in the luggage...not you.