Angora Lakes Trail

Angora Lakes Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Although you can drive into the lake itself, this small out-and-back hike will give you more reason to relax in the cool water of Angora Lake once you arrive.

Trail to beautiful Angora Lake (and its resort) leads from the 2nd parking area. ($7 day use fee.) Short trail to Angora Ridge overlooking Fallen Leaf Lake and Lake Tahoe begins between the 1st and 2nd parking lots.

Beautiful little lake with a small summer resort sitting right next to it.

It's a wonderful trail to take the kids. We went with my 4 and 2 years old and it was great. We got to the second lake and had a popsicle. We rented a row boat for $20/hour. We loved it.

Super easy hike. We have two kids--8 and 4. They both did great on the way in (on the way up)...sandy path with giant boulders to climb on either side...extremely well maintained---four wheel drive cars can (and did--we saw one) make it easily. Our son (4) cried the whole way back...didn't want to leave the beautiful alpine lake with "world famous lemonade", boats and more, to come back to the car.

This trail is good and hard if you take it from behind the fire station at fallen leaf lake, otherwise you can cheat and drive up to these beautiful lakes that had the feel of a college frat party or a public swimming pool. Great place if you wanna take the kids, drive up and BBQ in a beautiful setting.

Really wonderful hike! It's about 0.75 miles each way. Hike takes you to 2 lakes, the second of which is Angora Lake. Angora Lake is actually a resort that is run by a really sweet and awesome family. Angora Lake is really great for kids because there are no motorized boats, leaving the water pretty calm. There are kayaks, SUP boards, etc available for rent. There is also food/drinks available for purchase on the lake. Great place to spend a day, especially when the weather is nice.

NOTE: the hike to get to the lake is uphill, but we saw children of all ages doing the hike. And trust me when I say that if I made the hike, then anyone can make it!

Amazing!!!

The kids had a great time, cliff jumping at the lake and gorgeous views, new getaway spot for this fam

Getting here is half the fun. The drive to the parking area is up a one lane road (with turnouts, but it is paved after the first hundred feet or so) on what appears to be a ridge with absolutely stunning views. Parking is currently $7 (cash or check). The trail is gorgeous and easy - a bit shorter than we'd like, but you are rewarded with two beautiful small lakes. People were paddle boarding, swimming, and sailing on/in the second lake. We took my 13 year old and 5 year old, and the trail was no problem for them. I'm giving it five stars for the amazing scenery, but I would consider this a nice walk through the woods and not a hike. Definitely good for families. We will be back.

Great hike. Not too long and we found it doable with small kids (one 4 yr old and one 7). The way in took, not surprisingly, significantly longer than the way back out, but it still wasn't a very long hike (maybe 30-40 mins in? 15 out?) The description should have mentioned that Angora Lake has a store where you can buy food, amazing homemade lemonade and lemonade popsicles, among other things. (and they do take credit cards.) You can also rent boats, paddle boards and other water sport equipment. There were a lot of people there hanging out along the lake. There's also a dangerous, stupid pattern of people jumping off the 35-50' cliff into the water on the far side of the lake. Signs warn against it and detail the numerous 911 calls, life-altering injuries, and deaths that have happened bc of this over just the last couple years alone. (And yet we still overheard an older guy cajoling a group of young men to do it.) The parking at the trailhead can be scarce (we were lucky to get a spot) and costs $7. The road in is narrow and at times fairly rough but has amazing views of Fallen Leaf Lake and Tallac.

Distance isn't accurate. I wouldn't recommended with younger kids.

Nice walk.
awesome rock jumping!

Snow blocks driveway. I even haven't arrived the beginning of the trail.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Scenic views every step of the way! A steep hike and the trail is tiny and rocks all the way. A different experience.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Nice trail and our 2 and 3 yo could walk everything on their own.
Strollers could be possible, but then they have to be stable ones with big wheels.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Love it! Easy, kid friendly, dog friendly and the place is amazing!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

We mainly did this trail to go to the lake. The road in is 1 lane and hard to find... first attempt lead us to fallen leaf lake. Parking tough, had to wait for people to leave. It's a nice hike in, easy for all ages, beautiful walk. The first lake was nice, has cabins. Didn't notice swimming there but the next lake shortly after it, has a beach area with picnic tables and a lemonade type stand. Can rent boats. There's cliff diving off some rocky areas across the lake from the beach. Though we watched paramedics come twice in a couple hours from people injured. The lake is great for swimming. This visit picnicking was bad because of bees. Couldn't eat with out being swarmed. Crowded place on a week day. Wouldn't want to be there on a weekend.

Monday, August 01, 2016

It was incredible! The lake is like a hidden jewel amongst granite rocks and mountains. But too many people and the drive to the trail is one lane.
Edit: hiked in 2015

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Very beautiful hike and easy for kids! It's worth the drive up and waiting for a parking spot to hike to such a oasis!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Short trail, though w some elevation gain. Kids can do it easily (and we saw lots of little kids), but my 79-yr-old mom had to take it pretty slowly bc of the elevation (about 7400 ft) and the uphill portions. Beautiful little lake at end, very popular. You can rent a kayak or stand up paddleboard. We also went swimming. Water was cold that shallow so bearable. You can buy sandwiches or ice cream at the little store at the lake. A very pleasant family outing. ***Get an early start to ensure that you can get parking! It's not that big of a lot and a very long drive out on a single lane road if the parking lot is full. Also, bring $7 cash (exact change to put in the iron ranger) for the parking fee. We got there at 10:45 on a Friday and got one of the last parking places.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Bad

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Easy trail for kids. The beach/public space at the end is pretty small.

Saturday, September 05, 2015

This hike was short and effective. There is a sign for the Angora Trail between the fire station and the chapel (but closer to fire department side). The trail itself is very straightforward to follow. Lots of rocks in the beginning and an uphill climb all the way. It's totally worth it though! Took my friends and I about an hour before we got to the lakes. Going down was a lot quicker since it was all downhill from there.

paddle sports
Monday, June 29, 2015

One of the most beautiful lakes in Tahoe. The backdrop is incredible! This is the perfect place to get a strawberry lemonade Popsicle and enjoy the view. You can swim in the lake or rent a kayak/canoe/rowboat. We went toward the end of the afternoon and it was empty. So relaxing!

Friday, June 19, 2015

I love destination hikes. This trail is a short, moderate hike that leads you to beautiful Angorra Lakes. Get up there early because parking is limited. Hike the short trail and be amazed with God's magnificent creation! Pack a picnic or bring cash and buy drinks and lunch at the General Store. You can also rent kayaks, SUPs or enjoy cliff diving! My brother-in-law schleped my inflatable kayak up the trail and we enjoyed paddling around the small lake with my nieces.

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

A very short trip to the lake. The destination is gorgeous and a fun little place to hang out. We enjoyed ice cream and lemonade. It would be a great place to stay in one of the cabins.

Thursday, August 01, 2013

This was really a great hike. We went from the chapel up to angora lakes. The uphill was very fun as it transitioned from a broken stone path to traditional dirt. The view of fallen leaf lake and lake tahoe were amazing, and the return home was quick.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

The hike is in reality a 1/4 mile affair to the big Angora lake. The hike is not the highlight, but the lake itself. Went for the cliff diving and did not leave dissapointed! Very tranquil, family affair kind of site, but you can definitively seek your thrills at the diving cliffs. Highly recommended!

Sunday, March 10, 2013

This is a short hike directly to the lake. We took our 4 year old, and it was the perfect hike for him. By the time he was ready to be done, we were there! There is a food stand there. I believe they had ice cream and their lemonade is supposed to be great, but we didn't try any. It can get pretty crowded at the small beach. The water is icy cold, but on a good warm day it's definitely swimmable. There are cliffs on mountainside that you can climb up to. You can see a lot of people jumping off into the deep waters over there. I wanted to do it, but I'm the kind of person that needs a buddy to do the crazy stuff and nobody go with me. There is a large rock in relatively shallow waters where lots of kids were jumping off as a safer alternative to the cliffs. Overall, a great hike for the family!

Sunday, June 22, 2008

This trail was very overgrown when I did it, which meant that I had a number of scratches on my arms and legs by the end of it. The lake at the top was nice, but a little crowded with people who decided to drive most of the way.

It's nice for swimming, having lunch, and sitting on the shore.