Angeles Crest Scenic Byway: La Canada to Mountain Top Junction

Angeles Crest Scenic Byway: La Canada to Mountain Top Junction is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near La Canada Flintridge, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 938 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from LaCanada, CA: Travel Interstate 210, exit at the Angeles Crest Highway (Hwy. 2) and head north about 2 miles. Park on the right before you enter the Forest and hike the dirt road 1 mile past the power substation to the campground.

Besides the first and last mile, this is a great trail. Easy to do with a dog and at all skills.

this is the shortcut to get down to the campgrounds the first mile is a 480 ft decline so coming back up is the toughest part of the hike but at the bottom is a nice stream with plenty of water and wildflowers and plenty of shade

I think the campground is run over with homeless. Trash everywhere and large tents.

Creek very full and rushing quickly. Great trail run through next to this gem of a creek. V V beautiful!!.

Sat Aug 04 2018

Flat and shady! Only ~500 ft elevation Great run for the dogs Keep dogs out of the sun Cross a couple streams so fresh water for pups

Fri Feb 02 2018

Don’t get confused with “ campgrounds” it’s a homeless encampment near the only restroom. Was so irritating to get halfway down just to figure out what was going on.

Sat Sep 30 2017

Had a great hike, though the published trail was not my favorite part. There were a lot of sections of road, which weren't as much fun. But if you look for them, you can find opportunities for side trails that parallel the road, or even walk the creek bed itself for a while. Watch out for snakes, and poison oak which is prevalent in the area. But my favorite part, was taking the trail up to Paul little picnic area, on my return. I took the side trail from the campground heading north. I only went up to Paul Little (about a mile), but I'm going to come back and explore the rest of that trail another time. The trail was narrow, winding, and beautiful. Veer to the left, and continue past the Paul Little picnic area when you find it - just a little farther up is a dam with a waterfall. A great spot to stop and refresh yourself. Check out Gould Mesa Road for that hike.

Mon Jul 03 2017

I enjoyed the hike, especially once we walked down to the stream. In the beginning, and end you walk amongst huge power lines and even a power plant. Once you walk down the first mile beyond the power lines, it is shady and is a nice rolling walk. But when you turn around to come back to your car it is a steep 1 mile climb with virtually no shade. You can access the same area without the power lines and steep descent and ascent by taking the Brown Mountain Ken Burton Loop.

Mon May 22 2017

Mon Apr 03 2017

it was a beautiful hike lots of trees and a creek relaxing fun.

Mon Nov 21 2016

Did this hike with my 7 year old. We loved it, streams and wooded area to explore. However, we were very skeptical when we first arrived, from Hwy 2 (parking along side the road parking) no signs, you need to follow the utility road next to the electrical stations, the road turns into a fire road. I was very hesitant to go down and almost turned around, but after a mile we came across the camp. We saw a family of dear and plenty of stream crossings, great hike! Again, amazed such that places exist so close to a major city

Mon Oct 24 2016

we did this today.. great for kids. lots of nature to see. glad to see some water in the creeks, made more enjoyable.

Thu Dec 10 2015

It's a great family friendly trail. Well maintained.

Sun Nov 15 2015

I really liked this little haven. I went twice already. It looks sketchy hiking in threw the angles crest direction. But I seen many park over night with no wilderness pass and got no ticket. How ever I wouldn't recommend it. Lots of shade .. Even in the drought there is water. Drops into a campground and if you follow through it ll drop you off nearly next to JPL. Lots of spots to explore.. Campsite super small.. 5 sites I think... There's bears, cougars.. These are the San Gabriel mountains so be cautious..

Mon Apr 06 2015

I've done this hike early in the morning, but I prefer mid to late afternoon. It's a pretty level trail. You do have to watch out for mountain bikes and house poop but it's pretty easy. Much of the trail is shaded but it can be sunny. It follows a creek so wear bug spray.

Sat Sep 06 2014

This is a pretty drive, and not far from Los Angeles, so it's a good escape into nature. The views further into the San Gabriels is more dramatic, but this is definitely a lovely break from the city.

Sun Oct 09 2011

A great drive if you love to drive mountains their is not much from La Canada to Mountain top until you reach wrightwood but a nice drive just to get away

Tue Jan 25 2011

As a youth this was one of my favorite motorcycle rides and honestly it still is. This is a great way to get away from the city for a real adventure head farther to Wildwood.

Sat Aug 25 2018