Angeles Crest Loop

Angeles Crest Loop is a 21.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Paradise Springs, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Highway 138 between Palmdale and Victorville, turn south on 165th St. In 1.9 miles the road veers left and becomes Bobs Gap Road follow the road to the end. At Highway N6 turn left for .3 miles, then turn right onto Big Rock Creek Rd and follow it to the end at South Fork Campground.

Please be aware South Fork Trail is a dangerous place to start from. The trail that leads up from the creek bed is virtually indistinguishable from rock slides and debris washed down from the spring rains. Beyond a trailhead South Fork Trail is unmarked and extremely hard to follow.

I went counter clockwise.

Went 11.5 mi the first day (starting at 2:30pm) and only started seeing people after 6 mi. Then I started seeing PCT people. Passed the campground before stopping to camp after Windy Gap. The campground was loud and people were allowing their dogs off leash without watching them. I found the loud people at the campsite WAY more annoying than passing serious hikers traveling the PCT.

Setting up camp was a little challenging with all the wind ... but the views were SO worth it.

Started early ... 5:30am the second day covering 15.1 mi. Saw a couple of people, but only about 4 total. No longer on the PCT trail.

A total of 26.6 miles (sam on my phone & All Trails). I am not sure there is any water at the campground ... but there was NO water source on the trail. I went through 4L total.

I really liked this loop ... will be back to go clockwise ... and hopefully will find a less windy spot to set up camp.

Wow... spectacular hike a short drive from LA. Scenery comparable to the Sierras and fantastic views.

I did the trip starting at Vincent Gap as a three day / two night trek. The first stretch, from Vincent Gap to South Fork was beautiful and I didn’t see a single person on a beautiful June Sunday. The trailhead is hard to find and unmarked; I accidentally started on the trail to Big Rock before I realized my mistake.

South Fork is a nice quiet campsite with water from a creek. This was really the only water I found between Vincent Gap and Islet Saddle.

Day two was South Fork to Little Jimmys. The first part, from South Fork to Islet Saddle, was the most beautiful part of the trail, but also the toughest and in the worst condition. Again, I didn’t see anyone else. Some parts very steep with big drop offs and crumbling trails. The next part from Islet saddle to Little Jimmys was steep and pretty the first mile but a bit monotonous and unscenic the next mile.

Overnight at Little Jimmys, which was not as nice as south fork. Also good water 1/4 east of Little Jimmys. The hike up Baden Powell heading this direction wasn’t bad - just constant gradual incline. The views were great. A LOT of PCT hikers on a Tuesday - probably passed about 15 of them or more. The switchbacks coming down Baden Powell were boring and offered limited views. Glad I was coming down it rather than coming up.

With the exception of the PCT crowds, this was one of the top hikes I’ve ever done.

Did this loop as an overnight trip. This is a very nice loop with great views. I recommend starting early in the morning to avoid the heat. Thare is a nice first come first serve campground at the trail head that would make a great overnight stay befor starting your hike.