EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Angel Island Perimeter Loop

Angel Island Perimeter Loop is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Belvedere-Tiburon, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

beach

partially paved

Picture perfect San Francisco Bay views on this tranquil tour of a remote island with hardly a car in sight. Away from the hustle of the city, Angel Island offers a retreat to tranquility surrounded by magnificent San Francisco Bay views. The Perimeter Road provides access to pretty much everything else one can see and do on the island! It's got fantastic views around the bay, it's a fun walk and a good bike ride. When taking a ferry, all walks start at Alaya Cove (formerly Hospital Cove). Pick up a map while there. The Cove also houses segway and bike rentals, a small store and restaurant, the Park Museum, the bus tour, and picnic grounds. Do check out the Museum for the interpretive exhibits, history, and island overview.

Very scenic, really great loop.

We traveled from the Sacramento Area to the Tiberon Ferry. Traffic was light. The Ferry did not have a box office. We lined up at the gate and waited for it to open. NOTE that the ferry only accepted Cash Payment for tickets. The ferry ride was pleasant.

We expected to rent bikes once we were on the Island, but concessions were VERY expensive. It would have been much cheaper to take our own, or rent the bikes in San Francisco, and take a ferry in from there. We opted to walk instead.

The perimeter loop is a road that wraps around the island and offers scenic 360 panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay. We walked clockwise, visiting the immigration station and making our way around the island at a leasurely pace, taking in the views and engaging in photography.

Eventually we made our way back to the Ferry Pier. We still has an hour or so until the second to last ferry of the day arrived, and so we decided to grab a bite to eat. Again, concessions were very expensive and overpriced. We were so hungry we were willing to pay the ridiculous fees, but found it baffling that the limited places that were available were either closed 3 hours before the last ferry, or had very limited supplies of food, and were out of many things. We grabbed some light refreshment, and had a bigger meal when we returned to Tiburon.

Although my review might sound a bit critical, This was actually a very enjoyable trip. The weather was fantastic, and it was nice to take a break from the triple digit temperatures in California. Having never been to Angel Island, I was a bit unprepared for what to expect, but now that I know, I will likely bring my own bike, and more food the next time I visit the island.

enjoyed this loop very much. scenery was beautiful!

An hour to the top of Mt. Livermore. Great views even on a foggy day. Wear layers, bring a hydration pack, and snackage.
Leave wiggle room for arrival and departure times because anything can and will happen.

This hike exceeded all expectations. We took the ferry from San Francisco which is about $5 more than Tiburon and much longer while giving closer views of Alcatraz. Angel Island was beautiful and provides panoramic views of the city I've never seen before. My favorite was being able to view SF as a bridge sandwich with Alcatraz on the sea below. The history is another added bonus. Will definitely come again with visitors.

Stunning views of the Bay Area! This trail is extra special bc you have to take a ferry to access Angel Island. I love it! Can't wait to do it again.

Beautiful to hike around the perimeter!

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Very quiet day on a Monday! Great views of the Bay which is enhanced by the interesting history of the island. Monday/Tuesdays are quiet but the Museum was closed:( Also very important to make plans ahead of time for the ferry ride back as there are only two ferries in the afternoon and you dont want to miss the last one. We also saw people on the ferry who had rented bikes at Pier 41, rode over the Golden Gate bridge, went to Sausalito, Tiburon and then took the ferry back via Angel Island to Pier 41! Another school group had come by kayak from Tiburon and was planning on overnighting on the island!
Not to be missed for sure!

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Walk around the Angel Island by the perimeter loop is a breathtaking experience with complete 360 degree view of the entire bay and the various bridges and islands in it. We also incorporated a side trip to Mt. Livermore summit in our hike.

Detailed Blog: http://shompens.com/canvas/1499096429055

Monday, August 07, 2017

Can't beat the views. Beautiful!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

This one is a toss up. It has great views, challenging hills, and wonderful historical buildings to see and even tour. But you are spending some of the time dealing with trams and other road traffic if you are on foot and it is definitely "heavily trafficked." Also you are walking on asphalt the whole time.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

This is the best easy hike with friends to show off the beauty of the bay.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Did this on Sunday afternoon about 3 and half hours. Very light trafficked. Nice combination of history buildings and scenery. Trail is pretty much a flat road so prepare comfortable shoes.

Monday, February 27, 2017

There is a small (100 feet) section of the trail that is closed between Battery Drew and Battery Wallace. The road has washed out, or rather the earth beneath the road has washed out. This does not look to be an easy fix. The island is still filled with amazing views in all directions, you just can't go the whole way round.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Nothing can beat the ferry ride and the views on this hike!

Friday, September 16, 2016

has to be 5 stars simply for the views of the bay. It's more a stroll than a hike but well worth it. Did it and the Golden Gate one day. Epic day of beautiful sites.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Great start to the hike catching the ferry there! We had great weather too in July. Would say it was moderate & quite busy. Fantastic views!

Thursday, March 03, 2011

I love the science tie-in with this trail. The videos are also very helpful. I hope to start using more videos in my trail guides also.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

This guide is very helpful. I've been looking for a trail in this portion of CA.
Is the road that circles the island open to motorized traffic also or just for Segways & human-powered transportation?

Monday, September 15, 2008

Angel Island is great. As a native of the bay area I have visited Angel Island several times and hiked around the perimeter trail (not sure why I never made it to the top...that's next on my list). The view of the entire bay are just spectacular, especially later in the day.

Take the ferry and sit outside for some nice views of Alcatraz as you ride to Angel Island and you wont regret it.