wheelchair friendly

beach

partially paved

We traveled from the Sacramento Area to the Tiberon Ferry. Traffic was light. The Ferry did not have a box office. We lined up at the gate and waited for it to open. NOTE that the ferry only accepted Cash Payment for tickets. The ferry ride was pleasant.

We expected to rent bikes once we were on the Island, but concessions were VERY expensive. It would have been much cheaper to take our own, or rent the bikes in San Francisco, and take a ferry in from there. We opted to walk instead.

The perimeter loop is a road that wraps around the island and offers scenic 360 panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay. We walked clockwise, visiting the immigration station and making our way around the island at a leasurely pace, taking in the views and engaging in photography.

Eventually we made our way back to the Ferry Pier. We still has an hour or so until the second to last ferry of the day arrived, and so we decided to grab a bite to eat. Again, concessions were very expensive and overpriced. We were so hungry we were willing to pay the ridiculous fees, but found it baffling that the limited places that were available were either closed 3 hours before the last ferry, or had very limited supplies of food, and were out of many things. We grabbed some light refreshment, and had a bigger meal when we returned to Tiburon.

Although my review might sound a bit critical, This was actually a very enjoyable trip. The weather was fantastic, and it was nice to take a break from the triple digit temperatures in California. Having never been to Angel Island, I was a bit unprepared for what to expect, but now that I know, I will likely bring my own bike, and more food the next time I visit the island.