Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Angel Island Perimeter Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(195)
Angel Island State Park

Angel Island Perimeter Loop is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Belvedere Tiburon, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 528 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

beach

partially paved

Picture perfect San Francisco Bay views on this tranquil tour of a remote island with hardly a car in sight. Away from the hustle of the city, Angel Island offers a retreat to tranquility surrounded by magnificent San Francisco Bay views. The Perimeter Road provides access to pretty much everything else one can see and do on the island! It's got fantastic views around the bay, it's a fun walk and a good bike ride. When taking a ferry, all walks start at Alaya Cove (formerly Hospital Cove). Pick up a map while there. The Cove also houses segway and bike rentals, a small store and restaurant, the Park Museum, the bus tour, and picnic grounds. Do check out the Museum for the interpretive exhibits, history, and island overview.

Wonderful walk/hike! Great views! There is a little bit of cardio to be had! Some areas are sunnier then others so keep that in mind and bring proper coverage! Great views of the bay especially if weather permits!! I would absolutely do this again with more time! I think we hiked this in less the 2 hours but we stopped frequently and looked around.

The fee is to ferry across to Angel Island but otherwise, there’s no entry fee. Definitely bring a windbreaker or something for the wind. If you’re into mountain biking, there are paths for it too! Just no dogs except service. My six year old was able to make this hike with ease. There are dirt stairs and at times steep increase in elevation but the trail to the beach and other areas were amazing. I believe you can camp here too. Take a picture of the ferry departure before you embark and have a great time, we did!

Great way to spend a day exploring the island. Definitely plan your trip to step the Immigration Station along the route.

Fun hike that gives fantastic views of the bay! Definitely a fun day activity!

Beautiful views - my legs were sore the next day from the hills but in a good way. :)

We completed this trail on our last day in SF, so we had our luggage with us (backpacks weighing approximately 30-40lb per person). We were able to complete the trail in about three hours with plenty of stops for photos. It was worthwhile for the views, flowers, deer, and history. Would definitely consider doing again.....but next time without the luggage!

Killer views throughout the entirety of the trail. Angel island is the perfect place to go if you want to escape the the city for a day. Easily walkable but I suggest bringing your own bike or renting one once on the island to make the most of your time.

Hike it with the Choi family. Was great

Biked the perimeter of the island and it was a blast. There's a good amount of view points of the city and the Golden Gate Bridge and there were a few uphill climbs along the way

Really great hike, had an amazing view of the bay. Would do it again and definitely recommend it.

Rented bikes. Was awesome. Take your time to explore every area if you can.

Rented a bike on the island and biked with my 9 year old. It was an amazing ride with lots of scenic lookout points and historical buildings. The ride has one steep but short incline. We loved it and will be back!

Easy paved trail with amazing views of the bay, San Francisco, and all the bridges! We rented bikes at Blazing Saddles next door to the Blue & Gold fleet ferry in San Francisco. You can rent bikes on the island, but I read it was expensive and they do not have kids bikes available so I opted to get the bikes beforehand. Blazing Saddles was surprisingly reasonable and I paid less than $100 for 3 bikes for the whole day. Normally, I enjoy hiking, but I’m so happy I experienced this on a bike! It added a level of excitement that may be lacking just walking it. There are some hill climbs so you can burn some calories and trails you can access to add to your workout where bikes aren’t allowed. Just leave the bikes and explore. Overall, we spent 4-5 hours on the island. Being our first time, we took our time exploring and reading the historical markers. Check the ferry schedule and make sure you plan accordingly! There is only one place to get food and snacks and they are expensive and crowded! Pack your own lunch and bring lots of water!

Getting to the island is the most difficult part of this trip.

Getting to the island is the most difficult part of this trip.

what an amazing little bike ride! world class views. and almost all to myself.

Biking is the way to see the island! Took us about 4 hours even though we took our time at a few of the stops.

closed
Sun Feb 24 2019

This spring ride around Perimeter Road with stop off at Perles Beach was a little rougher than usual: recent torrential rains had washed out Perimeter near the Nike Site and Quarry Point - detour to Fire Road brought us back to Perimeter at China Cove. Beautiful nonetheless - expect a little extra hill work until the rains stop this spring and roads are repaired.

Sun Dec 02 2018

Very scenic, really great loop.

Sat Sep 29 2018

We traveled from the Sacramento Area to the Tiberon Ferry. Traffic was light. The Ferry did not have a box office. We lined up at the gate and waited for it to open. NOTE that the ferry only accepted Cash Payment for tickets. The ferry ride was pleasant. We expected to rent bikes once we were on the Island, but concessions were VERY expensive. It would have been much cheaper to take our own, or rent the bikes in San Francisco, and take a ferry in from there. We opted to walk instead. The perimeter loop is a road that wraps around the island and offers scenic 360 panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay. We walked clockwise, visiting the immigration station and making our way around the island at a leasurely pace, taking in the views and engaging in photography. Eventually we made our way back to the Ferry Pier. We still has an hour or so until the second to last ferry of the day arrived, and so we decided to grab a bite to eat. Again, concessions were very expensive and overpriced. We were so hungry we were willing to pay the ridiculous fees, but found it baffling that the limited places that were available were either closed 3 hours before the last ferry, or had very limited supplies of food, and were out of many things. We grabbed some light refreshment, and had a bigger meal when we returned to Tiburon. Although my review might sound a bit critical, This was actually a very enjoyable trip. The weather was fantastic, and it was nice to take a break from the triple digit temperatures in California. Having never been to Angel Island, I was a bit unprepared for what to expect, but now that I know, I will likely bring my own bike, and more food the next time I visit the island.

Thu Aug 30 2018

enjoyed this loop very much. scenery was beautiful!

Wed Aug 22 2018

An hour to the top of Mt. Livermore. Great views even on a foggy day. Wear layers, bring a hydration pack, and snackage. Leave wiggle room for arrival and departure times because anything can and will happen.

Mon Jun 11 2018

This hike exceeded all expectations. We took the ferry from San Francisco which is about $5 more than Tiburon and much longer while giving closer views of Alcatraz. Angel Island was beautiful and provides panoramic views of the city I've never seen before. My favorite was being able to view SF as a bridge sandwich with Alcatraz on the sea below. The history is another added bonus. Will definitely come again with visitors.

Tue May 08 2018

Stunning views of the Bay Area! This trail is extra special bc you have to take a ferry to access Angel Island. I love it! Can't wait to do it again.

Mon Feb 12 2018

Beautiful to hike around the perimeter!

Tue Oct 24 2017

Very quiet day on a Monday! Great views of the Bay which is enhanced by the interesting history of the island. Monday/Tuesdays are quiet but the Museum was closed:( Also very important to make plans ahead of time for the ferry ride back as there are only two ferries in the afternoon and you dont want to miss the last one. We also saw people on the ferry who had rented bikes at Pier 41, rode over the Golden Gate bridge, went to Sausalito, Tiburon and then took the ferry back via Angel Island to Pier 41! Another school group had come by kayak from Tiburon and was planning on overnighting on the island! Not to be missed for sure!

Thu Aug 10 2017

Walk around the Angel Island by the perimeter loop is a breathtaking experience with complete 360 degree view of the entire bay and the various bridges and islands in it. We also incorporated a side trip to Mt. Livermore summit in our hike. Detailed Blog: http://shompens.com/canvas/1499096429055

Mon Aug 07 2017

Can't beat the views. Beautiful!

Wed Jul 12 2017

This one is a toss up. It has great views, challenging hills, and wonderful historical buildings to see and even tour. But you are spending some of the time dealing with trams and other road traffic if you are on foot and it is definitely "heavily trafficked." Also you are walking on asphalt the whole time.