New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

American Canyon Trail Loop

American Canyon Trail Loop is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cool, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, bird watching, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,410 feet Route Type: Loop

Solid hike, I really loved the creek that follows along the trail, the views are beautiful

Took the loop counter clockwise and that was a horrible idea. Major inclines after the midway point. A lot of the reviews are deceiving. Its not a very scenic hike, lots of brush and shrubs that will scratch you up. Your pants or socks will be covered in stickers. Did a total of 9.8 miles so that was the rewarding part but I wouldn’t come here for the views.

This trail was pretty shaded, TONS of gnats & flies, and a bit narrow in certain spots. Lots of poison oak, horse poop, and horse back riders. A bit difficult to find the trail near the creeks, I highly recommend using the AllTrails map to navigate your way through this hike. I would say its definitely moderate/hard depending on the trail.

Awesome trail. Beautiful views. What a blessing it is to be able to be here and to walk through here. Beautiful warm fall day leaves changing colors signs of several portions of old growth forest. I’m living the life I love!

Overall a nice trail. It was mostly shady and the temperature was comfortably in the low 70°s. The brush and poison oak were mostly cleared out of the way. There are only three parking spots at the trailhead, but space to park about 150 yds down the street on the shoulder. Easy access to the river at two points along the trail.

Beautiful fall hike. Lots of color and filtered light. Trail was brushed last week so remaining poison oak was easy to avoid. Easy river access.

The majority of this was downhill and quite easy. The incline was mainly from one brutal hill and the very last leg.

There is a lot of poison ivy on either sides of the trail, so make sure to wear pants. There were a TON of gnats and flies, so bring bug spray. Horses are allowed on this trail, watch out for poop.

We had a great day! Glad I had the pro app. We got off track a couple times but found our way back easily. Went counterclockwise per the recs of previous reviews. Nicely shaded trail. Had lunch at a picnic table at the bottom. Didn’t have time to figure out how to actually get to the river once at the bottom. The hike back up was nice...you have to cross two small creeks. Only saw two other people on trail. Brought our dog. Lots of gnats.

Advantages: shade coverage most of the hike and a nice swimming spot half way through. Pretty wild flowers and butterflies. Disadvantages: horse poo as well as unavoidable poison oak as far as the eye can see and your feet will probably get wet crossing one of the streams. I used to get lost on this trail until I decided to hike it in the opposite direction and it was a easy to stay on course that way.

Great hike! My personal downfall was not going attention to the map and only doing a small loop partially off trail.. so I recommend pay extra attention on which paths you take! I give this 4 stars because there’s a TON of poison oak. Thankfully my dog and I didn’t get any on us which is quite the miracle. It’s definitely a harder hike with intervals and some narrow pathways but I think it’s a great opportunity to practice for backpacking which is why I went.

Trail was very nice, good workout. Didn’t do the whole loop cause I saw a bear 30 feet away from me. It ran up away from us. We stood still for a while until we didn’t hear the loud crunch and snap of the branches breaking. Only did 4 miles and turned back. Did feel paranoid the whole time. Trail is great though.

Great views and the trail was not crowded. There are lots of ticks so make sure you bring bug spray.

It’s actually 7 miles trail. You need to know where you going Great hike and work out !!!

You have to walk through creeks and it’s steep but so worth it

I would definitely recommend this for the avid hikers out there. When we went today, the majority of the trail path was easily recognizable. Toward the second half of the hike, where we were along water, it was VERY hard to find the path. I would definitely recommend downloading the AllTrails app prior to leaving because even though you may not have 4g, it will still tell you where you are and where the trail is. I believe the trail became difficult to find because the creek was running pretty quickly and also the water level was relatively high. There weren’t any clearly rocks or logs that we could use to walk on across the creek, hence we had to hike off trail in order to find an area we felt was safe to go across. That being said, it was very difficult to navigate around the creek since it created an impasse. Even when we managed to get across, we had to go up a sharp incline and navigate through thorn bushes and dead trees to get to the trail. This part of the trail was very difficult. Obviously if the trials path was clear and there was a way to cross the creek to the other side of where the path continued, this would not have been a problem at all. Overall, this hike was scenic, moderate-difficult and mostly SHADED. So super ideal for hotter weather. The hike gets rocky at times, but nothing that requires anything special like hiking boots or anything. Only thing that would make this hike better is if parks and rec actually maintained it. There were a lot of trees that had fallen and the trails are narrow at times. Additionally, there are multiple trails that connect to this one, so as mentioned prior BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE APP IF IT IS YOUR FIRST TIME.

A decent little hike. mostly shaded with trees all around. some scenic spots. a little rocky.