American Canyon Trail Loop

American Canyon Trail Loop is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cool, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, bird watching, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,410 feet Route Type: Loop

The majority of this was downhill and quite easy. The incline was mainly from one brutal hill and the very last leg.

There is a lot of poison ivy on either sides of the trail, so make sure to wear pants. There were a TON of gnats and flies, so bring bug spray. Horses are allowed on this trail, watch out for poop.

We had a great day! Glad I had the pro app. We got off track a couple times but found our way back easily. Went counterclockwise per the recs of previous reviews. Nicely shaded trail. Had lunch at a picnic table at the bottom. Didn’t have time to figure out how to actually get to the river once at the bottom. The hike back up was nice...you have to cross two small creeks. Only saw two other people on trail. Brought our dog. Lots of gnats.

Advantages: shade coverage most of the hike and a nice swimming spot half way through. Pretty wild flowers and butterflies. Disadvantages: horse poo as well as unavoidable poison oak as far as the eye can see and your feet will probably get wet crossing one of the streams. I used to get lost on this trail until I decided to hike it in the opposite direction and it was a easy to stay on course that way.

Great hike! My personal downfall was not going attention to the map and only doing a small loop partially off trail.. so I recommend pay extra attention on which paths you take! I give this 4 stars because there’s a TON of poison oak. Thankfully my dog and I didn’t get any on us which is quite the miracle. It’s definitely a harder hike with intervals and some narrow pathways but I think it’s a great opportunity to practice for backpacking which is why I went.

Trail was very nice, good workout. Didn’t do the whole loop cause I saw a bear 30 feet away from me. It ran up away from us. We stood still for a while until we didn’t hear the loud crunch and snap of the branches breaking. Only did 4 miles and turned back. Did feel paranoid the whole time. Trail is great though.

Great views and the trail was not crowded. There are lots of ticks so make sure you bring bug spray.

It’s actually 7 miles trail. You need to know where you going Great hike and work out !!!

You have to walk through creeks and it’s steep but so worth it

I would definitely recommend this for the avid hikers out there. When we went today, the majority of the trail path was easily recognizable. Toward the second half of the hike, where we were along water, it was VERY hard to find the path. I would definitely recommend downloading the AllTrails app prior to leaving because even though you may not have 4g, it will still tell you where you are and where the trail is. I believe the trail became difficult to find because the creek was running pretty quickly and also the water level was relatively high. There weren’t any clearly rocks or logs that we could use to walk on across the creek, hence we had to hike off trail in order to find an area we felt was safe to go across. That being said, it was very difficult to navigate around the creek since it created an impasse. Even when we managed to get across, we had to go up a sharp incline and navigate through thorn bushes and dead trees to get to the trail. This part of the trail was very difficult. Obviously if the trials path was clear and there was a way to cross the creek to the other side of where the path continued, this would not have been a problem at all. Overall, this hike was scenic, moderate-difficult and mostly SHADED. So super ideal for hotter weather. The hike gets rocky at times, but nothing that requires anything special like hiking boots or anything. Only thing that would make this hike better is if parks and rec actually maintained it. There were a lot of trees that had fallen and the trails are narrow at times. Additionally, there are multiple trails that connect to this one, so as mentioned prior BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE APP IF IT IS YOUR FIRST TIME.

A decent little hike. mostly shaded with trees all around. some scenic spots. a little rocky.

Did this trail yesterday, don’t know what I did that it did not record. But I would come back and do it again. It was muddy only because it had just rained a day before. Creeks over flowing, did cross and all but the last one as it was higher.

Lots of ticks.

It’s a good hike! At times it can be challenging to find the trail, just because you have to cross little creeks, but aside from that it’s really fun and very scenic. Does start in high elevation, then you descend, but at the end you have to ascend again, so if you’re not in good endurance shape or if you have bad knees you may struggle a bit. Over all though, I’d recommend this hike to anyone that hikes a lot and is just looking for another one to try out. Good trail.

Very enjoyable journey. Saw only one couple on the way out from 3d Gate the whole way. The Maine Bar Trail is quite steep and poorly maintained, but that short struggle is the only downside, unless you do the loop counterclockwise and have to go up it. Took the Dead Truck Trail on the way back, which added a bit of a workout before it levels off. Creeks were very pretty, even with low flows. Lots of shade, so would make a nice summertime hike, with stops along the Middle Fork.

nice views but badly marked be sure you know where you go

Definitely a moderate to hard hike. Saw a lot of bear droppings some fresher than others so I would definitely recommend not doing this hike on your own. Phone gps map helped to stay on the correct trail. The posted signs can be a little confusing. Overall, beautiful and worth while. Great workout.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Definitely a difficult hike, not suitable for kids. Lots of poison oak along side most of the trail so be wary. Gets really rocky at some points and has a really steep point near the end. Saw wildlife along the way which was nice. The path gets very narrow at some points which makes no room for side by side. Overall a tiring hike.