American Canyon Trail Loop is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cool, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, bird watching, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,410 feet Route Type: Loop

Awesome winter trail. Lots poison oak, great hidden falls to swim in summer

Great hike. Went clockwise and was happy with the choice. There are some pretty steep and rutted sections that i was glad i was going down and not up. Definitely wear pants to protect from all the poison oak. There is a lot of overgrowth, could barley see the waterfall because of it. What I could see was really pretty tho and the river is gorgeous. Was great for a hot day, most of the hike is in the shade.

Way too much poison oak

Beautiful trail! I was a little bummed that there was no access to the river due to overgrowth/no trail but there was a waterfall on the way up that was breathtaking <3

Nicely shaded and almost jungle-like (for the foothills at least), felt tropical with the humidity for first two miles or so. No issues with creek crossings. Good climb back uphill. Overgrown in parts and LOTS of poison oak. Parking might be an issue if you’re not there early.

One of my favorite trails! Nice and shaded and lots of places to swim. Avoided walking through the neighborhood though and took american canyon instead.

We went clockwise only by accident, but we fortunately avoided climbing a long ascent on the Maine Bar Trail! There’s currently some overgrowth in several spots on the trail, so wear pants (as opposed to shorts) if you want to avoid touching poison oak which is along the entire trail. There is a ton of shade and several stream crossings so your pup will be hydrated. There’s a path that leads you down to the Middle Fork but we didn’t take it. Also be sure to check your body for ticks!! Near the intersection of the Maine Bar and Quarry Trails is a picnic table beneath a tree. It was the perfect spot for our lunch break. The last couple of miles is a slight gradual climb back up to the car which will keep you warm.

We did this clockwise which worked out well. Early spring is nice for the weather, but lots of new, young, budding poison oak abounds!

Great trail. Well maintained. Will have heavy poison oak in the spring though.

Had a great day hiking American Canyon Loop with my daughter. We knew it was going to be wet today, and we braved the rain and cold. We started the trail by ascending towards the river and had to do 3 river crossings. For the most part, the trail was marked but you need to use your All Trail App or GPS to make sure you stay on trail. Mostly down hill with some good flat stretches. The most challenging part is at the 3.1 mile mark where you follow the Middle Bar Trail straight up for 0.8 miles. Once you climb this part of the trail you are rewarded with a 1.5 mile flat stretch working back towards the trail head. Make sure you take time for a break and enjoy the picnic table and its view.

Solid Auburn hike, I really loved the creek that follows along the trail, the views are beautiful, doesn’t compare to the beauty of the Sierras, but definitely one of the best in the Auburn area, definitely recommend

Took the loop counter clockwise and that was a horrible idea. Major inclines after the midway point. A lot of the reviews are deceiving. Its not a very scenic hike, lots of brush and shrubs that will scratch you up. Your pants or socks will be covered in stickers. Did a total of 9.8 miles so that was the rewarding part but I wouldn’t come here for the views.

This trail was pretty shaded, TONS of gnats & flies, and a bit narrow in certain spots. Lots of poison oak, horse poop, and horse back riders. A bit difficult to find the trail near the creeks, I highly recommend using the AllTrails map to navigate your way through this hike. I would say its definitely moderate/hard depending on the trail.

Awesome trail. Beautiful views. What a blessing it is to be able to be here and to walk through here. Beautiful warm fall day leaves changing colors signs of several portions of old growth forest. I’m living the life I love!

Overall a nice trail. It was mostly shady and the temperature was comfortably in the low 70°s. The brush and poison oak were mostly cleared out of the way. There are only three parking spots at the trailhead, but space to park about 150 yds down the street on the shoulder. Easy access to the river at two points along the trail.

Beautiful fall hike. Lots of color and filtered light. Trail was brushed last week so remaining poison oak was easy to avoid. Easy river access.

The majority of this was downhill and quite easy. The incline was mainly from one brutal hill and the very last leg.

There is a lot of poison ivy on either sides of the trail, so make sure to wear pants. There were a TON of gnats and flies, so bring bug spray. Horses are allowed on this trail, watch out for poop.

We had a great day! Glad I had the pro app. We got off track a couple times but found our way back easily. Went counterclockwise per the recs of previous reviews. Nicely shaded trail. Had lunch at a picnic table at the bottom. Didn’t have time to figure out how to actually get to the river once at the bottom. The hike back up was nice...you have to cross two small creeks. Only saw two other people on trail. Brought our dog. Lots of gnats.

Sun Jun 02 2019

Advantages: shade coverage most of the hike and a nice swimming spot half way through. Pretty wild flowers and butterflies. Disadvantages: horse poo as well as unavoidable poison oak as far as the eye can see and your feet will probably get wet crossing one of the streams. I used to get lost on this trail until I decided to hike it in the opposite direction and it was a easy to stay on course that way.

Sun May 12 2019

Great hike! My personal downfall was not going attention to the map and only doing a small loop partially off trail.. so I recommend pay extra attention on which paths you take! I give this 4 stars because there’s a TON of poison oak. Thankfully my dog and I didn’t get any on us which is quite the miracle. It’s definitely a harder hike with intervals and some narrow pathways but I think it’s a great opportunity to practice for backpacking which is why I went.

Mon May 06 2019

Trail was very nice, good workout. Didn’t do the whole loop cause I saw a bear 30 feet away from me. It ran up away from us. We stood still for a while until we didn’t hear the loud crunch and snap of the branches breaking. Only did 4 miles and turned back. Did feel paranoid the whole time. Trail is great though.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Great views and the trail was not crowded. There are lots of ticks so make sure you bring bug spray.

Sat Apr 13 2019

It’s actually 7 miles trail. You need to know where you going Great hike and work out !!!

Sat Apr 06 2019

You have to walk through creeks and it’s steep but so worth it