American Canyon Trail Loop

American Canyon Trail Loop is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cool, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike, pretty well marked (had to double back only once). Recommend going counter clockwise to avoid an early steep decent. No poison oak (perhaps due to the season). Not very good distant views but great trail scenery especially with the deciduous foliage. Saw 3 California newts...very cute.

The perfect day hike. Beautiful and changing scenery. The trail is almost entirely covered by oak and pine canopy. Use the All Trails app or a map for the first time because there are lots of additional trails that meander from the main route. Take the loop counter clockwise if you want to minimize steep uphill climbs. The entire loop took me about five hours at a casual pace with a few scenic detours along the way.

Easy way down! It was our first time so we just tried to find a nice area of water at the end. We hiked with our 3 year old she loved it and put her into our hiking backpack. We made it to the beautiful little water fall and swimming hole it was so worth it! Hiking back to the car was hard but it was a great trip we will go again!

If you follow the main trail and take the trail with the distance of 1.0 miles/1.3 miles and go straight past a couple of creeks you will get to a point where you can hike down a steep trail to the left that isn't labeled. There is an awesome little swimming hole with a waterfall! Super secluded and beautiful.

great hike if you like solitude and a challenge. we didn't see a single hiker the entire time. leave early before it gets hot in the summer time. Wear long pants and long sleeves. Parts of the trail are overgrown and have poison oak covering it. Had a tick land on me so bring bug spray! Main Bar road is very rugged, narrow and overgrown. I highly reccomending going left at the first fork on the trail so you don't have to hike uphill on Main Bar. Come prepared to this one guys.

Started hiking late at 11am on 7/10/17. It was over 100 degrees but thankfully most of this trail is in the shade. There is a waterfall and swimming hole but it's off the beaten path. It's just off waterfall trail heading towards the American River (close to dead truck trailhead). You can hear the falls, there is a steep rock washout that you follow down to the secluded hole. I really enjoyed this hike. Only negative for me was the poison oak. No crazy scenic views but dense forest that protects you from the heat. Lots of deer.

Only a few parking spots at trailhead and they are a little iffy, so I parked across the street on the side. I went counter-clockwise. I think this is the better way to go, in my opinion, because it is less steep going down. You cross several creeks on the way down but none were difficult. There are some side trails veering off and the signage is decent but a little confusing so it helps to have the app. At the bottom, I went left toward Poverty Bar. You go about 3/4 a mile and get the river. It was very shallow, so no good swimming. The way up is very steep (called "Maine Bar", if I remember correctly) but only for about a mile. After that it levels off for a mile or two before you get back to where the main fork is to go back the parking lot. The whole trail is very shady, with the sunniest spots at the bottom. There are very, very few people on the trail. I went on a Sunday and only saw a single hiker, a pair of hikers, and a pair on horseback. (Oh yeah, the trail is not the smoothest and there is a lot of horse shit on it.) On the way back up, I also saw a memorial bench to a hiker who had been killed by a mountain lion. This made me rather jumpy every time I saw a deer, and there were several deer. Bottom line: this is a good hike if you want solitude and some challenging inclines and don't like to hike in the sun. There were not great views, however, and no good swimming places.

Beautiful hike. Still very green. Go early. Lots of poison oak. The climb through the canyon is very steep, and narrow.