Alta Peak Trail is a 12.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Three Rivers, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September.

Challenging but great hike!

Awesome trail! It’s definitely a challenging one. I recorded 14.2 miles total.

We got off to a late morning start so summitting the peak around 1 pm was not a camera friendly time. However, the summit view was unbeatable. Spent quite some time on the summit and thank goodness it wasn't hot this time of the year. Will do this trail again in mid spring or earlier to experience the stream and its vegetation.

One of my most challenging hikes

It was a great hike, my wife Kathy and I hiked a steady climb 5 miles, past Merthon meadow and across a small stream. On the right side of the trail is a small campsite, it was nicely shaded and had a great kitchen area and fresh water. We set up camp, cooked dinner, had a small fire and Kathy read to me. The next morning we had a great breakfast of bacon and scrambled eggs and coffee. We set up a couple day packs and began the 2 mile hike to Alta peak. It was steep going and took about 70 minutes. (For those from LA the final ascent was similar to Mt Baldy). The ancient pines at the top were spectacular as they stood there strong and proud against the elements. The peak was bordered by sheer drops. The view from the top was a 360’ of the eastern and western Sierra’s. In the distance east you could see the back side of Mt Whitney, and the Whitney windows. To the West was Pear lake and the great divide. The views were well worth it and we want to do it again one day. The weather was the best, 70’s during the day and 40’s at night. We had a wonderful time, God’s creation is truly glorious.

What a day hike! The views were just incredible. The last 1.5 miles or so to the summit were brutal, but well worth the effort! Bring plenty of water (I suggest 3-4L) as the hike took our group 8-9 hours total and there was only one spot to refill if you have a filter.

What an amazing hike. Truly spectacular views at the top. Highly recommended that you bring plenty of water and salty food/drinks.

i really liked this trail. it was the first time i’ve gone backpacking so it was probably a little hard for the first time but definitely worth it. make sure to leave yourself at least 3 hours to summit if your planning to leave and camp that night because the last mile or so takes about 1 hour because you are scrambling over rocks and there is no real defined trail. the only thing that i disliked about the trail was that there is horse poop all over the first part of the trail which was a struggle to avoid stepping on

This hike provided great views and was well marked and maintained. It was very difficult, especially the 2.1 miles to the top of the peak. The overall length seemed longer than posted. Allow for it to take more time than you anticipate.

Amazing beautiful views. Most of the elevation gain is in the last half mile. Well worth the effort.

Beautiful trail.

Beautiful trail. We did it in about 7 hours with 45 minutes at the top. The heat definitely got to us as well as the last couple miles. The views were still spectacular even though it was smoky. Stay Hydrated out there!

Came across a juvenile bear and later on bear scat directly on the trail. (Panther Gap). Beautiful trail!

Amazing views!! If you live at sea level (me), this can be a pretty strenuous hike. Luckily there are lots of streams on the way up to filter some water and lots of rocks to park yourself on.
The views are what make this. Once you get halfway through the hike up, amazing views open up for the remainder of the hike. This took me about 7 hours round-trip.

An amazing view. The hike feels more like 15 miles long. And it took about 8 hours in total including staying at the peak for about an hour. The last 2 miles going up is very tiring but it’s worth the view! Hiked it July 15. If I was to do it again I would do it maybe a month or two earlier in the year so maybe I can catch some snow in the mountains!

Beautiful with lots of wildflowers. Guard your stuff at the peak, the marmots will steal it and gnaw on it, including plastic and rubber. Start very early and bring lots of water.

The hike is more like 15.25 miles. The last 2 miles is a killer but worth the views. My wife and I used this hike to prepare for Half Dome due to the elevation gains and over-all altitude. I drank 3 litters and 2 16 ounce filtered water. My wife drank 2 litters and 2 16 ounce filtered water. There is plenty of water. Take Jolly Ranchers candy to help with altitude.

Amazing hike! The last 2 miles are definitely what make this one hard. The last push to the peak is slow moving due to all the climbing. Well worth the effort though as the views are amazing. Just down from the peak is a set of rocks where you can have lunch with a view of the 3 lakes down below. Start early to beat the crowds!

One of the highest quality hikes in the sierras
The trail is rock and rut free
Start early to avoid mid- day heat
As of June 18 the snow is no longer

Amazing hike, one of my absolute favorites. Me and my husband hiked this trail two weeks ago. The weather was perfect, not too hot and only a little bit of snow at the top. Plenty of water on the way. It is a tough day hike though and the altitude takes it’s toll on you. A number of people we passed couldn’t make it to the top. Still, the views of snowy Sierra peaks are totally worth it.

We LOVED this hike! Stunning views during the whole hike with a steady climb through out. This hike gives a lot of rest time between your uphill climbs which was greatly appreciated. Would do this hike again and again.

Great hike, I did this along with the lakes trail. It's nice to see where you were before. As of late May, alta peak is still covered with snow for the last segment, but very doable.

Completed this past Sunday, despite dodgy weather. it's a nice hike with varied terrain and I have no doubt that the view from the peak would be great if there was good visibility, but there was very dense fog and the last 1k feet was snow-covered. Lots of nice streams. be prepared for inclement weather and snow if climbing in May

One of my favorite hikes ... complete it once every year. It has a couple places which make you work. The last face definitely makes you work for the end game ... an absolutely gorgeous view of the Sequoias. If you are adventurous, you can go off trail and scramble down to Pear Lake down below. In the summer, make sure you start out as early a possible because mid afternoon thunderstorms are common in the area. I was stranded in a lightning storm for a couple hours one year. Bring plenty of water when hot as water holes aren't always available.

Hi. I am looking for trails in Sequoia. Group of 4 girls who are physically fit, We are looking for a 4-6 mile hike with good views. Would this be the right trail to take? Thanks in advance!

I did this trail in August 2017. What a great hike. Wooded lowlands till you get above the tree line. Sun was brutal at that point. Camped out at panther gap, then hiked over to pear like the next day and camped there. 80degree days and 60 degree nights

Completed this trail on Labor Day, September 4th, 2017. No doubt! It certainly was one of our favorite trails in California. We love difficult trails so when researching we just had to test this one out. SO glad we did and loved it! Go Alta Peak #respectfornature.

Just did on 16th. Weather was great. Definitely need layers and would very much recommend gloves. Was unable to get to peak as last 1/2 mile was iced over. Told by other hikers that even those with ice spikes were having issues. A lot of ice in lower areas especially on way out. Well worth the effort

The last 2.1 miles, from the fork between Alta Meadows and Alta Peak are completely snow-covered. I hiked it the Friday after Thanksgiving, and had to trail blaze using the GPS. It's possible some of it has thawed, but be prepared to hike over snow/ice/slush to reach the summit. Since the sun sets around 4:40pm, I would recommend bringing a headlamp and coming down from the summit around 2pm at the latest if you don't want to hike in the dark. The views from 2.8 miles onward are breathtaking.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

The trail conditions are free of snow or ice. It's a strenuous hike and took us 8 hours out and back. Try to summit by noon since the days are shorter now.