Learn more

Allison Mine Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Azusa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,192 feet Route Type: Loop

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS HIKE, unless you are extremely experience...the path is hard to find due to overgrown brush and the path being washed away. made it to the mines and could not fin my way out. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS HIKE.

Attempted to go up the Heaton Flats Trail to Allison Mine Trail to reach the mine. Heaton Flats Trail is in pretty good shape until you reach Coldwater Saddle where the trail splits, about 4.5 miles from the parking lot. Continue straight to go up Iron Mountain, or turn west to the Allison Mine Trail. Don't go west! The Allison Mine Trail is overgrown with brush. Fallen trees constantly block the path. Rockslides have covered the trail in the steepest sections making attempts to get through dangerous.Avoid this trail until it gets repaired. I haven't attemped reaching the mine from the other direction.

Sun Mar 31 2019

Not great. Feet constantly in water. Jungle style. Trail dissappears after fork off main road. Couldn't find start of switch back section towards mine. Had to quit. Should have read the other comments: this trail is DEAD.

Sun May 20 2018

If anyone wants to take on this challenge I would suggest trailing the loop backwards and once at the mine come back the same way. The loop is absolutely not traveled on often and barley even exists. I’ve hiked the full loop before and at places it can be very dangerous where your footing is. Much easier to travel the opposite way up to the mine. Be aware there are still many steep drops and extremely steep switch backs still.

Sun Nov 19 2017

I agree with Julian. The trail is badly damaged, overgrown and dangerous in places. We did manage to get past the mine and find the continuation of the loop - but both safely passing the mine and finding the trail were not obvious. About a mile or so on from the mine we lost it completely and, as it was dry, exited out a gully as the safest option rather than retrace the route. It really is that bad.

Sun Apr 09 2017

Don't go to the mines. The trail to the mines seems like it hasn't been traveled in quite some time. Most of the trail has been wiped out by rockslides. I made the mistake of going this route and more than half way through the trail just ended. We were stranded and had to head all the way back the way we came. It was not fun and we got to our car much past night fall due to this. This trail is DEAD

Tue Jan 17 2017

Hiked up Heaton Flats Trail and took Allison Mine Trail to the mine. Beware the Allison Mine Trail is not maintained, infrequently used and is deteriorating. After the mine (the intersection of the trail and Allison gulch) I was unable to find Allison Gulch trail. I ended up taking AMT back to Heaton Flats Trail. This added time and distance I wasn't entirely prepared for. Afterward I discovered I picked up a few ticks :/ Will try again from East Fork Trail to Allison Gulch to see where it went wrong. Take lights. PS be careful with the mine, one of the shafts in the lower entrance had little oxygen so I exited immediately. Oh and tons of yucca.

Mon Aug 29 2016

Really hard trail have a lot of those Green Pontint plans, A lot of rock really hard, a lot of water, and don't bring a dog and these trails to dangers.

Sat Dec 01 2018