Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Aliso Creek and Wood Canyon Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(354)
Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park

Aliso Creek and Wood Canyon Loop Trail is a 10.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Laguna Niguel, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.5 miles Elevation Gain: 971 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Easy trail for hiking, biking, with or without kids. Not too much shade. Park is located on the 2000 block of Alicia Parkway.

I don't like this trail. It's long and streneous. No trees no shade no water.. all dirt... and a lil bit of rock. It's summer now but yellow trees and grass everywhere, is like burnt all over. And u can see the city and houses nearby so ruined immersive nature experience. I was totally misled by the high rating and had high expectations. Have some standard people!

Started recording a little into it Fun hike !

One of my Favorite trails .. I went 4/20/20 and it was Green Green and Flowers were blooming

Many of these reviews prove that these people have never hiked or ridden the challenging trails throughout Aliso Woods and Canyons. They’re obviously staying on the lower fire roads and not on the real trails descending from above: Five Oaks, Car Wreck, Mathis up, Rock-It, Lynx, Stair Steps, Mentally Sensitive, Meadows. Adjacent Laguna Coast has even more challenging trails.

Come here often just to get a decent walk in. It’s a bit crowded on weekends but lots of space on the open paths for 6 ft distancing.

No Dogs.

flooded

Trail was closed so this is not a recording for the mentioned trail.

recorded Recording - Oct 16, 06:18 PM

Very flat, but perfect for reconditioning after a long break.

Easy trail for hiking, biking, with or without kids. Not too much shade.

closed

I would say it’s a very easy trail, loads of people, bikers, runners, etc., almost always. It’s nice to walk if you’re wanting a relaxed walk along the trail with family. Loads of overgrowth everywhere.

Wow, this was so flat and boring that I wanted to lay down and take a nap on the trail and call for an Uber to come get me and take me back to my car. You might think I'm being dramatic but I'm used to hiking mountains. Spare yourself the agony of "hiking" on almost totally flat ground which can be hard on your body due to the unvarying, repetitive motions. Start your hike at Top of the World instead and do the big loop from there. The first 3 miles of this trail will make you go insane if you consider yourself a hiker even a little bit. Also, this place seems to be mountain biker heaven due to the forgiving terrain and minimal elevation gain. However, there is good wildlife back here. I heard lots of frogs at sunset, saw a mule deer, and saw a very tiny baby rattlesnake, which was cool. Seems to be a very important wildlife corridor, glad we haven't paved over it all just yet.

Absolutely beautiful trail..steep and challenging in places..watch the bikers..I almost got run over a few times

What a fun time! Absolutely loved it as a trail runner. So much fun and a great workout. Probably one of the best uphill trail runs in O.C. Went on a Sunday before 8am. It looked really crowded on my run back so my review is based on a non-crowded park. There were a lot of bikers coming up. I mean a lot! This will be my go to trail. Just get there early!

Sat Apr 20 2019

Top Of The World

Fri Apr 05 2019

I only walked until the nearest bathroom then turned around. There was so much wildlife to see. A lot of tall grass on the dirt trail. For those of you that bike ride, it’s also well worth it.

Sat Mar 30 2019

It's beautiful, but if you are looking for a nice casual hike, it may not be the best choice. The amount of mountain bikers was absolutely overwhelming and really distracted from the experience for me. Granted, I should have chosen better, I just had no idea that there would be SO MANY mountain bikers. I found myself spending more time managing my walk and making sure I was out of the way than I did enjoying the scenery.

Fri Dec 21 2018

Did Wood Canyon to Mathis and back this week. Spotted 4 deer; bobcat; great blue heron; nice to see new growth in fire scar area

Tue Dec 11 2018

This is a great place for beginners, seasoned hikers, runners and bikers or families who just want to take a stroll. There is a dirt path that runs parallel to the concrete road for quite a few miles which allows you to choose your surface. That part of the trail is relatively flat so great for all ages biking, strollers or wheel chairs. If you want something more rugged there are side trails with good elevation climbs and rougher terrain. There are portable toilets at the trail head as well as a couple miles out on the path. This place has a little something for everybody. We came across the Park Rangers a few times which leads me to believe this is a relatively safe and well maintained area. Unfortunately, they do not allow dogs on the trial and there is a $3 fee for parking in their lot. There is limited street parking. The video link below is of the hike we did at this location. https://youtu.be/Z8F9CDpXcfc

Sat Dec 08 2018

Love it!

Sat Nov 24 2018

great trail

Sun Oct 07 2018

fun hike with plenty of wildlife

Sat Sep 22 2018

This trail is one of my favorite local spots.

Tue Sep 04 2018

This was a great bike trail for my son, my wife, and myself. It is the perfect place for beginners to build endurance and pros to get a great workout. Also, there are playgrounds close by to the trails for the kids.

Fri Aug 17 2018

Fun easy trails. Good for family hikes with kids. Car wreck was an butt burner but the reward getting to top of the world was worth it. Pretty straightforward trails and a little too public.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Easily on off my favorite trails to date. From the very beginning the trail offers a beautiful scenery of the ocean and beautifully designed houses that inspire me on what I would want someday. The trails have varying ranges of difficulty and also different types of scenery. When you start off you're on a hill where you can peer down into the valley on one side or towards the ocean on the other. As you travel you the trail transitions from rocky passage, to woodland passage. Afterwards you come to following a river until you finally come to open meadows. Honestly one of the best hikes I've been on and very good is for those looking to go on an adventurous date.

Mon Jun 18 2018

Great views of the Pacific Ocean to the west and Orange County mountains to the east. Santiago peak. Fun hike.