Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Albany Hill is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Albany, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking and running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 449 feet Route Type: Loop

city walk

good for a workout but very slick after rain

My hike was early in the morning; it was windy and dry and the leaves from the Eucalyptus keep blowing around. It gets pretty slippery in the middle of the hike so be careful; the trail mapped on-line was also hard to follow as I got lost several times. Overall, a very nice experience. I'll be back.

The trail on west part of the hill needs work. It’s overgrown, blocked, and full of poison oak.

Lots of flies when I did this hike today. Literal swarms of them and I was afraid that they would get into my eyes/ears/nose/mouth.

We lost the trail when we got onto the west side of the hill (off Pierce Street). There was some heavy construction going on back there as well. We just ended up turning back around after stumbling around some trying to find the trail with GPS. The rest of the route is a mix of easy to moderate sidewalks/roads and dirt roads. Some shade on the dirt roads. If you start the route on the east side of the hill there is plenty of residential street parking, some with shade.

Sat Sep 08 2018

The trail on west side of hill is in terrible shape, with lots of poison oak, you even need to go under vegetation. My wife had a difficult time, even using her trekking poles. The danger/caution tape should have stopped me. Otherwise it was nice to explore some new areas of Albany hill.

Thu Jul 27 2017

Great views. This is a short urban hike.

Wed Mar 22 2017

Albany Hill consists of a series of short trails through Albany Park with fantastic views of the SF Bay, Berkeley Hills and downtown Oakland. It is surrounded by a residential neighborhood so I just parked in the surrounding area then ran to the top and did a series of loops. The trails were still a bit muddy from the recent rain but the views were gorgeous. I could not believe I hadn't been to this place after living in the east bay for almost a year. There is a bench and rope swing at the top. I wouldn't come here to get a long hike in but it's a nice place for a walk or quick run with hills. Will definitely be back.

Sun Feb 12 2017

I'm giving this two stars because 1) The directions sent me to a place that had zero parking and 2) once I found parking, I had to cross a creek. When I crossed the creek, I found that I had to cross it again to start the actual trail. I chose to attempt this trail after all the rain we've been having this winter so I'm sure it's easier to access at other times of the year, but I couldn't even get up there because there was so much flowing water to cross! I had my boy on my back in a kelty pack so I didn't feel safe crossing again. I will update my review once I've actually been able to get there. I was super bummed.

Wed May 01 2019