Oats Peak Trail is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Osos, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 10.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,430 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Cool hike. We went on a slightly different route but it was well maintained and had a good amount of challenges.

Had a great time on this trail for my first time. I'd highly recommend it to everyone. Non technical and very flowy when going downhill.

I tried to hike this trail while my husband biked. It is a nice and well-maintained trail, but there were several mountain bikers who were dangerously oblivious that there were others using the trail. Almost hit by one coming around a blind corner. Not all the bikers use a bell.

Wonderful trail. Ideal hike to link this with Coon Creek trail for a great 10 mile loop hike. Coon Creek trail all shade. Oates Peak more open, with fantastic views.

so there is a lot of poison oak so I recommend long sleeves and pants. The view is amazing. The climb is manageable.

Wonderful ride, it got steep at the top (last .5) but the views were fantastic. I saw 4 people on the whole trail, and I'm so grateful for the solitude.

Tue May 28 2019

Nice hike. Trail was in good shape. It rained on/off during hike to the summit. The hike back just seemed to go on forever. Because of cloud cover, the view from the top was partially covered. A long hike indeed. Valencia peak is likely my next hike. Twice the view with half the distance! And just next door!

Fri Apr 19 2019

Its so green and lush out there! I started early and saw so many rabbits and snakes and only one biker. beautiful, peaceful hike. I went to Valencia peak on my way back! totally recommend.

Wed Feb 06 2019

oats peak trail 2-6-19 fucking cold

Tue Dec 11 2018

Hiked on a clear day. Lots of switch backs, but view of the Pacific and Morro Bay is fantastic once you get to the top. Over all a great hike.

Wed Nov 14 2018

Great, but difficult hike with a wonderful view at the top! Wear good hiking shoes!

Mon Nov 05 2018

Very nice view at the top!

Fri Jul 06 2018

Solid 10 mile hike, not too technical, great views, fun workout..

Mon Jun 25 2018

Beautiful view of the costal mountains and ocean. We went when there was costal fog, so we didn't really get to see the true beauty of the ocean, but still an amazing view. mostly uphill, so if you are not used to hiking this probably wouldn't be the easiest of hikes for beginners. but overall we very much enjoyed the hike.

Sun Apr 15 2018

Hikers stay away this is where Mountain Bikers go to play. Mountain bikers out number hikers 10 to 1.

Mon Nov 27 2017

Fantastic trail. Moderate climb and distance. Very fun descent. Wished it were longer! Tons of switchbacks mean you can’t admire the scenery, but worth it!

Mon Aug 07 2017

It's amazing to hike 6 miles one way!! Not much of a views since it was very misty but it felt nice.

Mon Jul 31 2017

Amazing

Mon Jun 26 2017

Longer than expected... Most of the trails to the other different peaks in Montana de Oro get that wonderful cool coast air, this trail goes a bit inland. Start early and bring plenty of water when hiking in the summer months. Challenging on a warm day, but Beautiful.

Fri May 26 2017

Great mountain bike trail but beware of the poison oak...

Wed Sep 10 2014

I hiked 7 miles total on the Oats Peak trail. Eventually I'd like to work up to the approximate 10.5 miles that I calculated that it would take to get to the peak and back, but 7 for me was great, especially since I left at 5:15 and got back close to 7pm. I didn't want to hike in the dark. I wasn't as impressed with this trail as Valencia Peak trail, which is also in Montana de Oro State Park, but it was fun to explore another trail none the less. All of the trails at this park are beautiful and have ocean views. On this trail I was worried about wild animals for some reason. I ran into a huge ant, a deer, and another rodent, but no mountain lions or rattle snakes thank goodness! Both are rare but in the evening more wild things can show up. ;) Anyway this was a nice trail but they need to figure out how to shorten it up to 8 miles instead of the 10. I think the old and new part of this trail were combined lately because the reviews on the internet made it seem like it was only 6 miles total with the new trail. Nope -- definitely still 10+ miles because I had already hiked 3.5 miles and there were still 2.5 left to go. That would total 12 miles if I calculated my milage correctly! It may be this way right now because many alternative routes to this trail were closed off. That potentially could have been the new trail and I hiked half of the old trail. I'm not sure. It's confusing unless you're really familiar with the trail. The existing trail is well marked with signage on which way to go despite all the block offs and there are other small trails to explore while on Oaks Peak trail. All in all I still loved being back in the park despite the constant switchbacks and length of this particular trail. It really is a gradual climb and offers great views of Valencia Peak. You can actually hop on the other trail and go up to Valencia this way and make your round trip 7 miles I believe. I could actually hear hikers talking from far beneath Valencia peak and they were almost to the top of the summit! Can't wait to go back and hike the smaller trails there in the future but for now I'm staying away from Oats until the trail is shorter with less switchbacks. It makes you feel like you're stuck sometimes instead of continuing to climb elevation and actually get somewhere. All in all Montana de Oro is gorgeous, but I'm going to explore other trails before heading back to Oats Peak trail.

Sat Nov 10 2012

This is a great trail when you want to get away from the crowds, and don't mind putting down a few extra miles. The Spring is an especially good time to do this trail, as the wildflowers can be quite prolific along the rolling hills. I usually do it as a loop and return through Coon Canyon and the Bluff Trail.

Mon May 08 2006

This is an excellent loop trail with spectacular views. Green hills and beautiful scenery. Ocean views are amazing. Start at the Coon's Creek Trailhead. Hike Coon's Creek Trail to 2nd junction which is Oat's Peak. The Oat's Peak trail will head North, winding up steep slopes to finally reach the summit. Continue on the trail as it heads Northwest back towards the ocean. Stay on the trail towards Valencia Peak. Trail winds up North side of Valencia, then take Valencia Peak Trail right, decending back to trails leading back South toward Coon's Creek parking lot. Bring a map of the trail systems. Beautiful hike!