Alamere Falls via Coast Trail from Palomarin Trailhead is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bolinas, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from October until December.

beach

Alamere Falls is a tidefall waterfall that flows into the ocean in Point Reyes National Seashore, northwest of San Francisco in Marin County. This popular Bay Area coastal hike can be reached via the Coast Trail from the Palomarin Trailhead. The parking area can be accessed at the end of Mesa Road outside of Bolinas. The trail offers great views of the Pacific Ocean - including the Farallon Islands on a clear day - as well as Bass and Pelican lakes. This is a well-marked coastal trail to Alamere Falls. When you get to the falls walk just past the top fall, cross over it and down to the other falls. Beach access is on the right down a manageable but unstable cliff. Do not attempt to go down during high tide as the shale rock is slippery and rogue waves can drag visitors into the surf. Long pants and sleeves are recommended as Poison Oak does grow along the trail. The trail is maintained by the National Park Service so check out one of the visitor centers for additional information. Be careful not to miss the unmarked trail to the falls. It's about 4 miles up. There's a little rock climbing involved at the end.

Such a beautiful hike. Brings lots of water and snacks and/or lunch that you can eat at the falls.

I will start with advice, if you want the best trip to the falls check the SF tides chart. Try to get to the falls 2 hours before or after low tide, any other time there will be no beach to see the falls from, it will all be water. And you will have to stay on the rocks.
Also from the top of The falls to the bottom is very sharp loose shale rock you are on you butt going down and must use your hands and knees going up, with shorts your knees could be cut up.

The trail itself is great, it goes from hundreds of feet up above the water to completely shaded by the trees.
Not much uphill at all

Beautiful hike with shade along the way. A long hike at 13-14 miles but so worth it. Take some snacks to enjoy the beach once you arrive ! It’s a busy hike but not too many people. Parking gets full very quick so unless you want to hike a couple more miles , get there early to get parking.

Busy but not too crowded. Trailhead parking is definitely packed by mid morning on the weekends. This is a fun one!

Fantastic Hike, getting to the Beach to stand below the falls is a MUST!!

Absolutely beautiful place! So glad somebody on the trail let me know where the turn off was. I’m pretty sure I would’ve missed it. I will definitely come back and plan to bring my bathing suit so I can jump in the water at the end!

That's a nice hike in point rayes . we did on weekend Oct 27. was a lot of hikers but still more then enough space for everyone. Beautiful green scenario feels like its spring but its almost November. Amazing almost clear all day. pretty views of ocean shore and breeze, nature lakes ,and waterfall by the shore. Recomend to try and enjoy what you love to do.

Great hike! Beautiful forest trees and gorgeous views. We misted the waterfall trail and had to go back and use the map to find it. Path to the waterfall is tight and at the end is climbing down the hill holding on to the big rocks on the sides. Was kind of scary for me but all worth it! Will go back again...!

That last descent down to the beach, and then back up again was a bit scary for this fat man, but was well worth it in the end.

So gorgeous! Went on a Sunday a few weeks back got to the parking by 9 and barely anyone so the hike and beach were basically to ourselves. We did the short cut and climb is hard. I brought gloves which helped.

Pretty coastal views at the beginning and a surprisingly beautiful waterfall that drops right into the ocean at the end; not particularly strenuous, but there are some good opportunities to scramble down rocks by the falls to the beach. The trail to the falls from the Coast Trail is not an official trail, though the beginning of the trail was marked by an arrow on the Coast Trail at about the 4 mile mark. There is a lot of poison oak on the side trail, so long pants/sleeves are recommended.

Hiked with my girlfriends and the views were incredible.

Beautiful coastal hike with a very rewarding waterfall at the end. It's an easy hike but still a great workout. I went on a weekday and arrived around 1030A and there were only 2 other cars in the parking lot. I pretty much had the whole trail to myself. There's lots of shades which is a plus on warm days. I didn't pay attention and missed the left to the falls but luckily since I was checking the GPS on the app, I caught it quickly. I noticed there a set of blue colored rocks to mark that left turn. Keep an eye out for that! The tide was kinda high today (10/11) and I was a wimp to walk on the beach but when I saw other people do it, I was game and took off my shoes. It actually wasn't that bad. I really love this hike!

A little more challenging than moderate.

Great Trail, Different views along the way, & Lots of shades as well. I recommend going on weekdays morning not much people (literally nobody), took the Coast trail coming from Palomarin Trailhead to Wildcat (wasn’t able to check Alamere falls since its High tide, but certainly coming back), and Ocean Lake loop going back.

great trail with lots of shade, views are wonderful. Only downside for me was that it was very crowded, then again guess it's good that lots of people are able to enjoy being outside. Next time we're doing this very early in the morning

I recommend arriving by 9a otherwise the trail gets crowded. My walk out to the falls I more or less had the trail to myself. The walk back was busy. The trail is lovely. Oddly there’s graffiti wherever there’s a marker but otherwise the views of the ocean are hard to beat. The more wooded parts of the trail are nice too though don’t compare to nearby Mt Tam. There’s a large arrow made of pieces of shale on the Coastal trail to indicate where to turn for the falls. By the time I arrived at the falls there were around 15 other people there. The view is expansive and climbing/ rock scrambling down to the beach to seeing the falls come over the cliff above and drain into the ocean is unique. I took my shoes off and went calf deep into the ocean. There were three sea lions/ seals floating in the water 15 feet from me. Otherwise on the trail I saw a rabbit, banana slug and a bunch of quail.

very good hike down to the ocean. The views change all along the hike. The last stretch is bit tricky to walk down to the ocean

I wholeheartedly enjoyed this hike so much, that i take anyone willing to go with me, just to show them the beautiful views! Its not too difficult of a hike either which makes it even more enjoyable.

I took my nieces and nephew whom range from 11 to 16. I've also seen young kids on the trail, I dont k ow how far they got, but none the less.

Go and do this hike... you're gunna love it!

Wonderful hike

The hike was great but too short, though it has Beautiful sceneries along the way which is great. Waterfalls are ok. It was much too crowded with children running around and more touristy than I like. Like other reviewer mentioned, many people carried portable speaker and people/children kicking around rocks.

Pretty easy hike. Very crowded with lots of people who didn't respect the area, lots of litter and people walking with portable speakers.

I loved the variety of terrain. You get forest, lakes, streams, waterfalls and the ocean. Some parts are a challenge, but I loved it!

Went in August. The falls themselves were pretty tiny. The weather was spectacular and weird though. Super foggy and overcast but hovering at a balmy 75 - very surreal!

Overall, a super easy flat trail, good for trail running (assuming it’s not too busy), and the falls are a little bonus, but weren’t super amazing.

Was a great hike. Definitely recommend it.

Great hike! Nice, scenic view. I like waterfalls but the hike alone was something I'm more interested in. Could probably trailrun without any big issues but be careful still!

August 2018 // Pretty sweet for a local Bay Area hike. Go early or go late to avoid the crowds. Bring a headlamp if you go late.

TIP: There is no official sign for "Alamere Falls" from the Coast Trail. For the hidden side trail to the falls from the main trail, look for the blue rock arrow on the ground that points to an overgrown unmaintained trail in dense high shrubs. And watch out for poison oak. They are abundant here.

P.S. Bring only what fits into a backpack. You'll need both hands to scramble down the cliffs (and back up again) if you want to see the lower falls from the beach. And wear shoes with good grip. Be safe and have a good time!

Overview: a good up and down stroll along the coast and through the woods to a beach.

Pros:
1) scenery changes a lot.
2) lots of shade and trees
3) up and down, not too strenuous
4) parking lot at beginning.

Cons:
1) an “up and back” (not a fan)
2) pretty popular so lots of people (even during the week)
3) rocky road into the parking lot

The pros far outweighs the cons. Good hike for all group sizes.

More walk than hike... But you'll definitely get your exercise. Great coastal views and the falls at the end are more than worth the effort. Don't shy away from the scramble to the beach... The view of the lower falls is the real win. Go early! I was at the trailhead at 7:45 am on a Saturday and enjoyed complete silence and no ones else at the falls. On my way back... There must have been 50+ people headed there...

Pretty awesome in the end to see a waterfall on the beach!