Ahwingna and Native Oak Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(574)
Whittier, California

Ahwingna and Native Oak Loop Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Whittier, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,161 feet Route Type: Loop

Second half of the trail is very overgrown. Still doable.

I would recommend if you enjoy a workout, challenge and many uphills! It was nice, beautiful and people were really nice here! Definitely coming back soon!

loved this hike for my first time. There was a lot of dog poop on the trail and some of the weeds had grown out so it's hard to walk past the trail without the weeds grazing your legs. beautiful hike!

I took my mountain bike out to this trail and I will likely not go back. A lot of climbs that I feel didn’t make the descent worth it for me. Lots of loose dirt and gravel also.

it's open now

CLOSED

Closed

Great hike all around.

Did this hike on a Saturday morning & had no problem with crowds. Passed a few hikers & several bikers, but most were courteous and respectful. Great trail to get the heart pumping without feeling like you're gonna die.

There were so much dog poop. When I went I saw a decent amount of hikers but near the end it was just me for like more than an hr. I don’t recommend this trail for families with young children. The rocks make it very easy to fall. It took me more than 2 hrs. to finish, never gonna start a 4 mile after 2 now. Sunset is around 5 in the winter and it was scary cuz’ it was getting dark. I came out late and the park ranger was really mad and rude to me cuz’ he already locked the gate. I apologized but he kept going otherwise it would’ve been a 4 star. It was definitely a workout

If it wasn’t for the graffiti (not too much), litter, and pet droppings, I’d definitely give this 4stars. This is a wonderful hike with decent elevation & fairly serene close to the city. There are a lot of hikers, families, & trail runners but all kept to themselves. I added the Puma Trail for an extra 1.6 miles. Enjoy!

Really awesome Trail. I took my two dogs and had no problem. I kept them on leash but saw a few dogs that were off leash. Took me about hour and 40 minutes to complete with only 2 quick stops to give the dog's water :-) definitely a nice getaway :-)

Absolutely Amazing bit of nature out here in the middle of industrial south Los Angeles! Saw so much gorgeous plant life and not so much trash! Pick up your trash!

Awesome trail!!!!! up hills down hills!! real work out!! Trail has nice views

First time trail running and i gotta say i loved it!!! Perfect trail for trail running training great workout!

Trail opens at 9AM

Nice trail. I would say it may be closer to difficult than moderate based on the climb. Once you climb up, there is a descent and another climb back up if you travel counterclockwise. The Native Trail is very pretty and isolated.

Easy Trail if you are used to hiking MT Baldy Cucamonga peak etc. Has some shade once you reach the top and start heading down. Crowds range from nice avid hikers to the "slobby loud" inconsiderate ones. The parking Area is nice and not as packed as Turnbull etc. you can connect to Turnbull via this trail. all in all a decent hike close to home.

Up and Down in 94 degree, need to get 3lt of water, otherwise dangerous.I felt very dizzy at the top, you have to walk under power line, under hi voltage booming sound. Not good for health. do not try this trail over 90F day like me. Dangerous.

This trail is listed as moderate but it's right up there with "hard". The inclines are really steep but offers great views.

Good city trail. You hit elevation right at the start. Great views. Gets crowded later in the day. Beware the mountain bikers going up and down

This is a great Hike that includes good elevation gain ups and downs Large pockets of shade and woods and many scenic views. I think this is the best of the three main hikes in the area.