Learn more

Agua Tibia Full Loop Trail [CLOSED] is a 20.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Temecula, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 20.2 mi Elevation gain 3,871 ft Route type Loop
Dogs on leash Backpacking Camping Hiking Nature trips Bird watching Running Views Wild flowers Wildlife Blowdown Over grown Closed Fee
Description
Waypoints (0)

As of September 2020, trails in this area are closed due to wildfire. See park page for more information. Note: It costs $5 to park if you don't have an adventure pass.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (86)
Photos (683)
Recordings (43)
Completed (165)
Troy Olson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 30, 2020
HikingOver grown

Occasional great views. Mostly way over grown. Would not recommend this until Winter due to the possibility of getting struck by a rattlesnake when you can’t see where you are walking.

Elison Crum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
BackpackingBugsOver grown

It had its occasional amazing views, like all the other reviews. Trail was really over grown making it feel just not taken care of. It got up to 111 degrees and 7 liters of water was almost not enough. Called prior, said because Corona and their offices being closed that no pass needed. We slept on trail.

Rigo Ramirez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2020
HikingOver grownRockySnow

Can’t believe I live seven miles away and never did this hike. Absolutely loved it, even the fallen trees, it made it feel like a spartan race if you will. It is however challenging! Not for the faint of heart.

View Rigo's Recording
Bryan Munson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 21, 2020
Hiking

We did the full Agua Tibia loop — started at Wild Horse Trail to Dripping Springs Trail. On Wild Horse Trail at approximately miles 11 and 13 there were fallen trees and thorny bushes. Someone had recently trimmed some of the bushes. The trail is not completely clear but it is passable. Fun trail; beautiful views!

View Bryan's Recording
Bella C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 2, 2020
HikingOver grown

A very challenging trail. My friends and I began on Wildhorse and finished down Dripping Springs. We faced many obstacles and I never thought it would end. We are all very navigationally challenged and not very experienced hikers (but we are in very good shape). We almost left the trail multiple times because we thought we were smarter than the signs that say “trail”. Probably would have been a big mistake. Everything was normal until we saw the downed tree at 9.5 miles mentioned in another review. We went to the side and over it and then there were a couple more trees to step over throughout the next half mile. This led us to think that we had passed the overgrown terrain and “downed oak trees.” We laughed confidently about how easy the trail would be once we passed the halfway mark and figured that all of the other reviewers were just dramatic. However, shortly after the halfway point, we were faced with a rude awakening. At least half a mile of getting scratched and crawling under branches, and then at least another mile of getting hit in the face by the branch from the person in front of you. I didn’t see any poison oak because I am not an educated enough hiker to properly identify it, but that could be useful knowledge for this hike (I think?). Basically, that was one of the most painful things I have ever done and I probably will never attempt it again, but it was a good experience so I guess I recommend it.

Corey Peters
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 27, 2020
Hiking

I started this hike at 7am by myself and finished just before 3pm. I took very few breaks. It was more of a “mission” style hike for me. I didn’t see a single person the entire hike (being that it was a Monday probably had something to do with this). I went through 4 liters of water which was all I had with me, but I wish I had brought 6 liters with me. I started up the Dripping Springs trail, connecting to the Palomar Magee trail, connecting to Wild Horse trail. The killer of this hike is the Palomar Magee section which is extremely overgrown, but also has a near 1/4 mile long section that is completely inundated by downed oak trees. I was army crawling in some areas and climbing not just over the trunks of trees but also over the head of the trees because of how they landed on the trail. This section was exhausting and felt never ending. If it weren’t for the checkered blue and white trail markers hanging on trees sporadically, I never would have made it through. I personally would not recommend doing this loop because of this section. And I think that any normal person would have turned around long before even reaching this dreaded fallen oak tree section. I trusted that my very demanding training regimen and my skills would get me through and it did, but I wouldn’t do this again, that’s for sure. Also, it should be known that since this area has not burned in over 100 years, the vegetation is super thick and tall, creating a kind of claustrophobic effect, as I felt “walled in” on may portions of the trail. The trail is also extremely curvy. Much more than what you are looking at on the map. It has a kind of dizzying effect as you hike in and out, and up, down and over canyons. This paragraph pertains to the Palomar Magee and Wild Horse trails. All that being said, it was an amazing hike for me because of all this. It was a kind of hike that I had never experienced before. The views were fantastic and the elevation gain had its demands. I can also say that I am not about to soon do this hike again and I personally would not recommend it to most people. Should you decide to do it, bring someone with you.

View Corey's Recording
Scott Widmann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 14, 2020

overgrown, but crawable at top of ridge.

Brooke Jaslyn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 11, 2020
HikingOver grown

Great trail! Very narrow path but my golden retriever loves it, be careful though because it does have ticks, my dog always comes home with a few. Also don’t believe the fee free parking sign!

Mtn Climber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 28, 2019
HikingBlowdownSnow

Beautiful trail with a nice gradual grade for anyone that wants to hike or run. I wanted to do the full loop but 9.5 miles into the Wild Horse Trail there is a blown down Oak tree that you will not be able to safely get around. Hope they can clear that soon.

Warren Paroly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 12, 2019
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grown

I took this trail yesterday. Wild Horse section was OK but Palomar Divide section at the top was overgrown, fallen trees, poison oak, and black flies. Be sure to bring insect repellent. Long pants only.

Chris Mullin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 21, 2019
HikingOff trailOver grown

Great adventure. Didn’t see anyone the whole time. However, it was a little too overgrown for me. From mile 10-14 it was mostly 3 feet high bush/shrubs and no way to see your feet or snakes for that matter . Not good.

Gloria Ruiz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 18, 2019
HikingOver grown

over grown a bit towards the peak but such a great trail. Got there right at 6 and we were able to have a great amount of shade.

View Gloria's Recording
Kyle Bergstedt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 16, 2019
HikingBugs

Started the trail around 7:30 am. My buddy and i decided to head left on the loop in the clockwise direction after reading a few prior reviews and were glad we did. It takes longer to get to the summit but it’s more of a gradual climb. The trail was in pretty good condition, there were a few downed trees as others had mentioned and a couple spots that were a little over grown, and it can cut up your legs a little if your wearing shorts. We met a man named Clint towards the end of our hike that had some clippers clearing out the trail. So thank you Clint! We all appreciate it! Also keep your eyes open for rattlesnakes. We ran across 3 of them right on the trail. If it wasn’t for their rattle we probably would have stepped on them. Be careful out there. It’s a beautiful trail though and a good time!

Marc Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 27, 2019

man this trail is RAD! Great hike and even better as a trail run. minimal shwaking involved. There was about a mile long section with downed trees ( around mile 9 from either direction). I was blown away by how runnable this was. The reward of views of the Pacific were a nice surprise. The vert and mileage were spot on too. I ran the whole loop and loved it. Trail running paradise.

MJ L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 14, 2019
Hiking

Awesome trail. Best I’ve done around San Diego area so far. Dripping Springs-Palomar Magee-Wild Horse took me 6.5 hours while running some stretches on the way down. A bit challenging and adventurous but definitely doable and more than worth it. Great diversity of surprisingly green scenery including oak and pine tree forests. Amazing views of snowcovered Jacinto, Gorgonio and Antonio. At a small section on Palomar Magee (maybe 0.3 miles) there are a couple of dead trees and shrub blocking the way, which actually made the trail a bit more primitive and adventurous to me. Nothing too hard to overcome though. Note that there is no real summit since the peak of the Cosley saddle is surrounded by lots of shrub, so no reason to stop. If you want to take a break, take it before or after the saddle at some of the views.

Eric B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2018
Hiking

Fantastic day-hike trail, will post again once I’ve walked the whole thing!

Claudia Kayda
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 25, 2018
Hiking

The trail was a good challenge especially in the heat but the problem was our group could not locate the trail at the 8.5-9 marker .... too much shrub!!! On top of the shrub there was a “friendly” rattlesnake in the way, so we went back. More of a one time hike but great views and won’t go back until shrub is cleared away.

Olivier Kempf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 6, 2018
Hiking

I started on Wild Horse Trail to eventually take a right onto Magee Palomar Trail went to the summit and came back down on Dripping Springs Trail. From 79, the total miles we 20, took me 10 hours, about 3500 ft elevation gain according to the app. Magee Palomar Trail is in deed overgrown but, thanks to the dedication of fellow hikers, it is getting better. I did what I could with my machete but got tired fighting the brushes after a while. Please bring a garden tool with you and contribute to clearing the overgrowth. if everybody helps, it'll soon be walkable again. Right now, it's passable but requires a lot of ducking and a sturdy fabric for long sleeves and long pants. I would not try it in a t-shirt, let alone in a fabric that catches on the thorns. The trail is beautiful, the views are serene and well worth the effort. You won't regret this SoCal gem.

Robert May
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 3, 2018
Backpacking

Backpacked this trail over two days. Dripping Springs Trail to Palomar Magee Trail to Crosley Saddle. We set up camp on Crosley Saddle and hiked 6 miles to Eagle Crag and back on the Cutca Trail. The next morning we hiked Wild Horse Peak back down to Dripping Springs Campground. Dripping Springs Campground has toilets and running water. It's not very quiet being right off of CA 79. We camped there Friday night to get an early start on Saturday morning but the other campers were playing loud music, drinking, and talking loudly until well after midnight. We should have just drove there early Saturday morning. If you're camping in the wilderness you need to get a free permit. Also, you need an adventure pass displayed on your vehicle or you can pay the $5 dollars a day use fee at the campgrounds. Camping is $15 a night at Dripping Springs Campground. I highly recommend a bug net for your head. It will save your sanity!

Amy Kimbel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 28, 2018
Hiking

Huge thank you to whoever did recent trail maintenance on Palomar-McGee! It was totally passable, but we could see many areas where branches had been recently clipped off making it more doable than it otherwise would have been. We were able to get through the whole loop and overgrowth didn't slow us down very much (though there were a few places where we needed to slow down to go over/under fallen trees). I think backpackers could manage it too, I was carrying a large (though lightweight) pack and was able to get it through the obstacles without a problem.

Josh Kraus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 28, 2018
Running

Great trail to run on but by mile 9 or so it was very overgrown and I had to both bend over to get through the terrain and push through brush. Once I got through those tuff 3 miles or so of the very rough part and got out to the furthest section of the trail it opened up and I was able to get some real good running in on the back part. I do recommend giving it a shot for the hiker that wants to see this section but for trail running I don’t. Trail markings were visible throughout.

Smilez (Josh)
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 9, 2018

Great trail however is extremely overgrown during the last 4 miles of elevation gain. Pain in the butt if you’re over 6ft

Felipe Castellon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 26, 2018

I gave it 5 stars because it has different challenges and not a walk in the park. I took the ambient temperature was 32 degrees 7 a.m. At the trail head. Took dripping springs up. Nice scenery a lot of chapparal. little shade.Took 3.75 liters of water (in summer I suggest 5 at least). Palomar Mcgee, starts to flatten up a little. this is where the over grown brush and fallen trees are at different spots for a couple of miles. Thank you to whoever put blue and white checkered markers to help stay on trail. making a left on Crosley saddle you go down . when you reach the river bed you start climbing again. Then undulating for a few miles then get to the bottom. 24.4 miles total. Alltrails can keep you on trail but won't give you appropriate mileage. For food I brought cold soaked oatmeal with sugar and berries, ramen with soy sauce vinegarette and carrots, hummus and snacks.