Agua Caliente Creek Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(109)
Warner Springs, California

Agua Caliente Creek Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Warner Springs, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,341 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great trail, it was warm so make sure to bring enough water and watch for snakes. Multiple camping spots along the trail. *** I parked across the street from the trail head on 5/25/20 in a turn out and accidentally LEFT MY HIKING POLES THERE. These were new and I only used them twice. PLEASE message me if found. I will travel to get them back.***

Great trail and route for one or a couple of nights journey... multiple beautiful flora and fauna and some sweet overlooks ta boot. Plenty of shade and creek crossings along the way for water. weather was perfect and conditions were excellent except for the amount of crazy horse flys during the hot part of the day which were relentless !!! They died down once the sun went down but holy moly! FYI: there were lots of people on the trail, And only a few social distancing.. but alas sign of the times.. Camp spots about 3 mi ... and then several past for the next few miles... you can go from road to road in abt 10 mi.. will do again .

This is a great trail for a one night backpacking trip. At 3.5 miles in there are camping spots by the creek. Then at about 4 mile in there were 2 camp spots. Then at 5 mile in we only saw 1 spot to camp and it was taken so we went a bit further but didn’t see any. But I heard just a little ways more and you hit a camp area called lost valley. But we back tracked to the spot we saw at mile 4. Perfect spot just in from the camp spot with the rock wall we found a nicer one in the sandy area with a fire ring. We saw frogs matting and you could hear them all night along with the beauty sounds of the creek flowing. I would have given this trail a 5 star but there were relentless flies. Other than that it was perfect. About half way in is all sun no shade but then you hit some cover from the taller brush and then finally trees. We saw a couple of horny toad lizards too! I haven’t seen those since I was a kiddo! Water was cold and nice to just sit in and cool off.

Hiked about 90 minutes in before turning around due to sunset. gorgeous setting all to yourself. small creek to rock hop. Cell service whole time. Lots wildflowers in bloom.

Beautiful spring hike. A little warm but still amazing.

Took a short stroll, even nicer on trail going the other way on the PCT from this trailhead. Good for dogs.

Beautiful trail with a few camping spots by the river. You do have to cross water a couple times either by rock-hopping or just taking your shoes off.

Only did part of this trail and then also explored southward on the PCT, looking for good camping spots :) beautiful scenery and flowing river make this definitely an area I want to return to when I actually do some backpacking

Nice trail. Open even during the COVID-19 closures. Lots of stream crossings.

Beautiful views, fun stream crossing but lots of bugs

Shhhh! Hidden gem! Went after some rains and the creek was flowing and lots of wild flowers. Trail follows creek bed for a mile or so then climbs up over and around a ridge for a couple miles before meeting up with the creek again. Nice campsites back there and spots to relax and listen to the creek. Much less traffic than eagle rock.

Lots of rain overnight. Had to bushwhack instead of crossing the creek at the normal crossing points. Greener than I’ve ever seen it.

Backpacked in for a night on Saturday. Great trail for a quick overnight away from people. Only saw 3 other people my whole 24 hours on trail. Camped next to the creek 5 miles in. Nice and quiet at night. Perfect weather, light wind. Definitely some gnats near the creek but not bad with bug spray. 1st half of the trail is pretty open to sun, but the second half is nicely shaded along the creek. If you have a water filter you really only need to bring a 1 liter per person. Good trail for dogs.

I took the creek bed off trail and found some really nice scrambles. I may bring climbing shoes next time :-). Definitely one of my favorite hikes.

I love walking the PCT but this small stretch wasn’t out of the ordinary & unfortunately trail was unkept in some parts, not due to people but Mother Nature...I had to climb over a few fallen trees and shrub. Just your normal average trail.

I am not quite sure if we started at the right place but we were able to park right next to the start of the trail. It looked like a closed gate but you could climb up on the left-hand side and follow the PCT signs. We did not see one person all day and it was a beautiful hike. Not too many bugs. A few gnats in sections but not bad. We hiked in until we got to the main part of the creek about 3.6 miles. The first creek bed was dry and the second was easy to cross on rocks. Easy hike and you can make it short or long.

This is a great trail, I would highly recommend it. It's fairly easy, depending how long you make it. We did 5 miles out and back for a total of 10 miles. The trail is in great shape, and we had about 4 water crossings that were easy to do without getting wet. Not crowded at all, we only saw two other people. The scenery is great and a large part of the trail follows the creek. The only complaint we had is the bugs. They seemed worse about the 4-5 mile mark, so bring bug sprays or net. Also, the directions to the parking have you parking across the highway from the trail and then when you cross the highway to the trail, it says private property, and no trespassing. You can hike around the gate/fence, and you are only on that section for 1/4 mile maybe then you link up with the PCT.

recorded Agua Caliente Creek Trail

Extremely fun, about 4 miles in the trail scrambles and you’ll probably lose it (don’t rely on streambed) please bring plenty of water and start early! Not recommended for beginners unless you do it partially (8 (check my recording; I was often off the tail)

Hiked from Warner Springs about 9 miles to a water trough. Total hike was 17.4 miles. Found an abandoned backpack at the water trough.

Completed this trail in early June. Other than the heat, it’s a relatively easy and well-marked trail. The trail follows a creek for most of the time, so I’d save some weight and bring a filter instead of packing all my water in if I did it again. I completed this trail with my dog and she had a fairly easy time with it, as she was able to cool down in the creek. I’d definitely be careful about the weather before committing to bringing a dog though. I was the only person at the campground when I set up for the night and got to enjoy the creek in solitude. However, the noises outside my tent were the loudest I’ve heard while camping. There were animals moving around in the leaves near my tent all night, most likely lizards, but it made it very difficult to sleep. One of the coolest parts of this trail was that I got to meet a few people that were hiking the complete PCT, and was able to talk to them about their experience. Very cool!

Fri May 31 2019

I took this trail, on the advice of Rebecca Kuritz's post below, as a first overnight trip for my 9- and 10-year-old sons. We had a great time. We did not complete the 5 mile (one-way) portion of the trip, but instead stopped at 3.5 miles to camp, near where the trail descends back into the valley and joins up with Agua Caliente Creek again. As we hiked at the very end of May, the weather was pristine: Sunny, highs in the 70's, lows in the high 50's. The wildflower bloom had passed, but there were still plenty of beautiful things to see. Prickly Pear cactus were blooming red, pink, yellow and orange. Also, lots of blue-belly lizards (Western fence lizard). The first mile of the hike from Hwy. 79 is quite dry and exposed, but after crossing Agua Caliente Creek for the first time (filled with thousands of tadpoles!), and gaining some elevation, the views are more enjoyable, and the trail is less sandy and dusty. The trail rating of moderate is fair. It was enough of a challenge for my young sons to feel like they had done something, carrying their own gear. But not too difficult to discourage them from going backpacking again! We enjoyed meeting quite a few PCT thru hikers, probably getting a late start to let the snow in the Sierras melt a little more. It was fun to talk with them. We met 15+ who planned to hike all the way to Canada, including people from Germany, China, Australia, and more. At the 3.5 mile mark and beyond, the Agua Caliente Creek is really nice, and created lots of fun and play for the boys. Also a good water source, which we treated with iodine tablets. We did see evidence of some small, old campfires near our campsite, which is unfortunate as campfires are not allowed. I agree that this is a great introductory overnight backpacking trip for kids and families.

Wed May 01 2019