Agate Beach Trail is a 0.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Trinidad, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 0.5 miles Elevation Gain: 111 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

fee

It was about 2 years ago that we went here but it was beautiful even though it was foggy. We did find a few agate on the beach and some purple crab shells too.

Absolutely love it here! Patrick's Point was my first stop on my 25 days to 5 California Parks camping trip. My first time camping in California ever and this beach did not disappoint! https://kindly-kaitlin.com/2019/06/03/five-california-state-and-national-parks-in-twenty-five-days/

I consider this less of a trail for hiking than it is a just a trail to get to a destination. Beautiful views! Large downed tree blocking the main trail, but we navigated around it (with difficulty, as the tree was LARGE and entirely blocking the trail). Looks like some storm damage happened and uprooted several trees throughout the park, as there was a HUGE tree down blocking one of the main campground roads. Just a tip, if you're just visiting and not planning to camp, skip the day use fee and just park on the main road outside of the park instead. We took a narrow and tree lined trail in from the main road to one of the campground roads (that may be Octopus Trail or something like that). We just wanted to visit Agate Beach and didn't want to pay the $8 just for that.

I’ll preface this by saying I am a #unlikelyhiker and really out of shape. Going down the trail was easy and had beautiful views of the beach. Going up was a little challenging, but it was relatively short and manageable. The beach wasn’t busy at all and there were lots of agates.

Beautiful beach run. A lot of fog great view when it cleared up.

Tue Nov 27 2018

Beautiful trail, lovely views!

Mon Jul 23 2018

$8 fee. Worth the amount of beautiful agates I found! They are everywhere! I could have easily spent half a day collecting agates but I arrived late in the afternoon as this was unplanned. The ocean views are incredible. Also saw a few sea stars :)

Thu Jun 28 2018

First time I did this it was just doing all the little trails at Patrick's Pt. It was on a rough winter day. This time I was there on a nice summery day to look for agates. Did lousy but a great time on the beach on a beautiful day...

Tue May 22 2018

Fantastic trail! Beautiful walk down, kids loved playing on the beach.

Mon Dec 04 2017

Beautiful walk down to Agate Beach. Agates are all over. Just watch the tide

Fri Nov 10 2017

Steep hike down trail in disrepair and eroding. Nice small stretch of beach.

Fri Dec 02 2016

Nice views on a pretty good beach on a very rough day on the ocean...

Sun Nov 13 2016

Closed when I attempted.

Thu Jul 14 2016

Short easy trail to a beach.

Fri Nov 13 2015

Short and fun and you can take home as many agates as you wish. Oh, by the way, it's extremely steep and you'll decide one handful is enough.

Fri Jul 26 2013

Warning! Was closed last time I tried to get down there. Too much trail erosion. Check with Park office at 707-677-3570 Nice beach. Lots of steps down but real short trail. Day use fee is pretty expensive at the Patrick's Point State Park. There are many other trails at this park.

Thu Jun 16 2011

Very short hike that is a bit steep but nothing to intimidating. The beach is gorgeous with a lot of neat geology.

Sun Aug 22 1999

Steep trail to a beautiful beach. Couldn't find any agate but didn't know what I was looking for

recorded Patrick's Point Trail