Abeja Loop Trail

Abeja Loop Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Marcos, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Also known as Bee Loop. Nice loop in the backyard of Santa Fe Hills in San Marcos. The views are great. It is the perfect morning or evening hike. The trail is also used for mountain biking. First follow the end of Las Posas Road and continue on to the trail on the right side which leads you to a trail crossing. Turn to your right and pass the lake. Climb the first hill and continue on the trail. Then at the small downhill section keep right and climb the hill. Stay on the trail and enjoy the nice views. At the top of the hill stay left and begin the steep downhill section which leads you to a little grass field. After the grass field continue to hike uphill until you merge back on the original trail you were coming from.

Good little steep loop for a weeknight hike. the water view is at the bottom before you climb much and the views from up top are nice but are facing the sun in the afternoon/evening.

Pretty steep incline and the terrain is very rocky which makes the hike more difficult since you have to be careful where you step. Lots of routes and confusing we had to use the app to make sure we went the right way after making a wrong turn.

We went early. Got lost a bit as there are several breaks. Use this app to keep on trail. Beautiful views. At 9:00 there were very few people on the trail. Some up hills spots, def a good morning work out (beginners and moderate hikers)

Nice quick pretty hike. Ponds, wildlife. Easy to park and walk to the trailhead.

Fun hike , good ups and downs to get the heart going and a bit of burn on the kegs .

nice hike, so many trails to choose from. this was my 2nd hike at this location so I had to follow some other trails.

This is a great loop hike for the proximity and typical southern California shrubs. It was pretty steep with lots of small rocks, but not too long. Some of the gullies on the east side were very deep. Great views at the top, and only saw two other people. Did the hike around noon today so it was pretty hot.

It's a nice hike for moderate to hard and esperienced hikers. Definitely not for beginners. Some areas need a bit of maintenance. Some dangerous steep areas. not for little kids. Dog lovers: take care after them. Bring enough water.

Great hike, definitely needs to be marked as a hard hike. If you follow the map, which we did, very steep and rocky. Not a hike for beginners. If you want a leg workout for the day this is perfect! :) BeCareful of the over growth on the path. Very private path ;)

great trail. mostly uphill. but great view at the top on either side.

So not moderate. That was difficult. Very step and rocky both up and down. A good workout but not a friendly dog walking trail.

Great for when you don't have a lot of time and want to squeeze a good hike in. The initial uphill is a bit intense but the views are lovely on a nice day and the burn in your legs makes it worthwhile. The way down has really taken a beating after the recent rains so be careful when navigating the canyons that have taken over the path.

Overall a good trail, not too tough. My kids absolutely loved it. Great view of the area on a clear day.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

I would say a bit above moderate and longer than 2.9 miles but still a wonderful hike!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Saturday, April 01, 2017

beautiful

Saturday, February 25, 2017

The rains have made the trails rocky and washed out but still nice

Sunday, January 29, 2017

It's a nice hike. A lot of going up over hills. If you go up the first hill; go on gravel to trails ahead. There are no signs.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Great trail, great weather, a great time!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Good workout. I was in the area & glad I did it, but not sure I would do it again if I wasn't nearby. The "lake" is more of a pond. Nice views from the top, but very loose rocks heading down (I went up on the South side & down on the North side), do it took me longer to get to the bottom vs going up.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Use your trail tracker if you're not sure where to go. There's a lot of side trails and no signs.

I recommend going up and down the right side of the loop. The left side was very steep and rocky, so it's hard on the knees if you take it in the way down.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Beautiful views. I was quite confused where the trailhead is. However, I managed to do a loop starting on Las Posas. I parked my car at Las Posas and Via Artista. I walked up the first trail I saw on the left on Las Posas, and then took right turns to end up at Las Posas park. Then I walked down Avd Abejo till I found my car! It was gorgeous weather. Bring a lot of water! I was on the trail about 65min. I would say this trail is intermediate. There are uphill parts but not for long and nothing too steep. Have fun! I enjoyed it!

Friday, October 16, 2015

Some good hills/pumps dirt and asphalt surfaces. A nice nature trail with nature views while tucked in a nice neighborhood.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015

This was an unexpected fun one. Very steep and what must go up must come down...very steep going down too. Cool to see it connects up with the P trail.

Friday, May 22, 2015

This trek is not for the weak at heart! I am new to tie area and had no idea where I was headed. Managed to go down there path and veered up to these right. There is a strenuous uphill hike about 1.5 miles. Make sure to stay to the right when you hit them first fork. At their summit you are provided beautiful views of San Marcos and the oceanfront. Follow the summit turns left. It will eventually spit you down a steep declining hill, back around some bushwhacking areas, back up for a while, then to the main loop trail from earlier and finally back down and out. Bring ample water! No traffic on this trail when I went. Beautiful views!

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

My dog and I got to the neighborhood about 9:30AM. It was already pretty warm and thankfully there a few shady spots for her to rest. There are many trails around here so you could make different loops and explore a bit more. I parked in the neighborhood by the stop sign and walked on the path until the trail started.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Perfect length for a morning or evening workout hike. I love the views and the steep uphill sections.

recorded Buena Vista Trails