Abeja Loop Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Marcos, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Also known as Bee Loop. Nice loop in the backyard of Santa Fe Hills in San Marcos. The views are great. It is the perfect morning or evening hike. The trail is also used for mountain biking. First follow the end of Las Posas Road and continue on to the trail on the right side which leads you to a trail crossing. Turn to your right and pass the lake. Climb the first hill and continue on the trail. Then at the small downhill section keep right and climb the hill. Stay on the trail and enjoy the nice views. At the top of the hill stay left and begin the steep downhill section which leads you to a little grass field. After the grass field continue to hike uphill until you merge back on the original trail you were coming from.

Looks as though this hike will have a few new views soon. Sign posted for new community, Near the dead end gate area. This is a fun hike though and we have added to this hike in the past to make it even longer. Always nice to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Great trail! Lots of steep ups and downs. Foggy morning, so I'll have to come do it again to see the views.

I really liked this hike. Short, but steep! And fun! I wasn't expecting it to be so steep for so long. I couldn't hear any civilization, only birds. I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. Just look beyond the subdivision (which is hidden by hills most of the time) and gaze at the ocean in the distance. It was just challenging enough, serene, and pretty. I went up the north side, and down the south. I met someone who hikes there every day, and he said that was the harder route to go. Both seems comparable, though.

This was a moderately steep, rocky trail through scrub and bushes. It was full sun, so bring water and hats. You are always aware that you are near an urban area, traffic noise and farm equipment could be heard. Very few people were out on the trail, and we saw a variety of birds and evidence of coyotes. It is a typical San Diego county urban hike!

It’s an okay hike. There are a lot of side trails and none of the trails are marked, so bring your phone with this app unless you’re looking to wander about or you have an excellent sense of direction. Although you can see for quite a ways, you’re really only going to be able to see subdivisions. If you live close by, check it out, but don’t drive far for this one.

Went for a mid day stroll with my medium sized dog (40lbs) and was on the back side (at the bottom of the steep incline overview of ranch/nursery/greenhouses) eating lunch when I saw a light brown/tannish animal. Thought it was a coyote but it moved swiftly like a cat, large muscular shoulders and body and thick legs and paws. Definitely not a coyote but 99.9%sure a MT LION. Seen on 5/17/18 at 1:30pm. I picked up my dog and huddled our asses out of there. Carried a medium size rock with me, luckily there were a lot of large rocks on the trail to throw at the cat if needed. Thankful we didn’t see it again, probably 1/4 mike away down in the field near the mountain slope. Be careful and prepared!

Good little steep loop for a weeknight hike. the water view is at the bottom before you climb much and the views from up top are nice but are facing the sun in the afternoon/evening.

Pretty steep incline and the terrain is very rocky which makes the hike more difficult since you have to be careful where you step. Lots of routes and confusing we had to use the app to make sure we went the right way after making a wrong turn.

We went early. Got lost a bit as there are several breaks. Use this app to keep on trail. Beautiful views. At 9:00 there were very few people on the trail. Some up hills spots, def a good morning work out (beginners and moderate hikers)

Nice quick pretty hike. Ponds, wildlife. Easy to park and walk to the trailhead.

Fun hike , good ups and downs to get the heart going and a bit of burn on the kegs .

nice hike, so many trails to choose from. this was my 2nd hike at this location so I had to follow some other trails.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

This is a great loop hike for the proximity and typical southern California shrubs. It was pretty steep with lots of small rocks, but not too long. Some of the gullies on the east side were very deep. Great views at the top, and only saw two other people. Did the hike around noon today so it was pretty hot.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

It's a nice hike for moderate to hard and esperienced hikers. Definitely not for beginners. Some areas need a bit of maintenance. Some dangerous steep areas. not for little kids. Dog lovers: take care after them. Bring enough water.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Great hike, definitely needs to be marked as a hard hike. If you follow the map, which we did, very steep and rocky. Not a hike for beginners. If you want a leg workout for the day this is perfect! :) BeCareful of the over growth on the path. Very private path ;)

Friday, May 19, 2017

great trail. mostly uphill. but great view at the top on either side.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

So not moderate. That was difficult. Very step and rocky both up and down. A good workout but not a friendly dog walking trail.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Great for when you don't have a lot of time and want to squeeze a good hike in. The initial uphill is a bit intense but the views are lovely on a nice day and the burn in your legs makes it worthwhile. The way down has really taken a beating after the recent rains so be careful when navigating the canyons that have taken over the path.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Overall a good trail, not too tough. My kids absolutely loved it. Great view of the area on a clear day.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

I would say a bit above moderate and longer than 2.9 miles but still a wonderful hike!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Saturday, April 01, 2017

beautiful

Saturday, February 25, 2017

The rains have made the trails rocky and washed out but still nice

Sunday, January 29, 2017

It's a nice hike. A lot of going up over hills. If you go up the first hill; go on gravel to trails ahead. There are no signs.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Great trail, great weather, a great time!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Good workout. I was in the area & glad I did it, but not sure I would do it again if I wasn't nearby. The "lake" is more of a pond. Nice views from the top, but very loose rocks heading down (I went up on the South side & down on the North side), do it took me longer to get to the bottom vs going up.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Use your trail tracker if you're not sure where to go. There's a lot of side trails and no signs.

I recommend going up and down the right side of the loop. The left side was very steep and rocky, so it's hard on the knees if you take it in the way down.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Beautiful views. I was quite confused where the trailhead is. However, I managed to do a loop starting on Las Posas. I parked my car at Las Posas and Via Artista. I walked up the first trail I saw on the left on Las Posas, and then took right turns to end up at Las Posas park. Then I walked down Avd Abejo till I found my car! It was gorgeous weather. Bring a lot of water! I was on the trail about 65min. I would say this trail is intermediate. There are uphill parts but not for long and nothing too steep. Have fun! I enjoyed it!