Learn more

Abalone Cove Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Rancho Palos Verdes, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 1.4 mi Elevation gain 269 ft Route type Loop

Wildlife

Fee

Description
Waypoints (0)

As of June 01, 2020, users have reported that the tide pools area is open. The sea cave near the tide pools is closed due to rocks falling. Be mindful of the area closed and MPA (Marine Protected Area) signs. Please see the park's website for up to date information before visiting This is not the main trail in the area. Part of this trail is in a closed area, please be advised. Surrounded by tide pools and a rocky beach, the trail is unique and full of scenery. Parking $6 for under 2 hours and $12 for over 2 hours. Note: Dogs must be on leash on trails and are not allowed on the beach.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (403)
Photos (296)
Recordings (277)
Completed (1183)
Liliana Tripp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
HikingRocky

This was a great trail, I tried to do this trail many times, but when I arrived there were not parking or was close so on day I tried again. I went at end on July of 2020 and I went during the weekdays on Thursday very early like 7 am the parking was close but I park at street very close to fire station. I walk more. I realized that parking is not free and you have to pay around 6 to 12 dollars, also In streets, you need a residential parking. Well I went to trail. It was very beautiful without people and I enjoyed it with my some family who came from Chicago. They were very pleasant for my guide to this beautiful place. The day that I went. i followed the map, but when I went back . The trail was close on trail in one small part. My recommendation is not to go late, or weekend, not go when is overcrowded.

Mee Ko
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
Hiking

Went alone this evening. Accessible by bus, only few people so I felt safer. I enjoyed the waves of the ocean like a music to my ears.

Jessica Heinss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingFeeRocky

This trail was so fun. Perfect for the family! It’s pretty steep getting up and down so I just advise decent shoes for the kiddos. The beach was beautiful and the water was surprisingly clear. The tide pool area was closed due to falling rocks so unfortunately we couldn’t see that but there are many trails in this little area so we wandered up a few and spent time at the beach. It was so fun!

Carlos Ortiz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

Nice easy trail down to the beach. Stayed down by the tide pools and had a great time

View Carlos's Recording
Nari Ho
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2020
Hiking

Good beginner-friendly trail that is easy to do and has pretty views overall. Part of cove was closed off due to rock fall. Parking is a lot, not free. Part of trails were slightly confusing getting back on main trail. While it’s a nice trail, I’ve definitely have been to just as pretty trails along PV and didn’t have to pay for parking. This was nice to do once but idk if I would pay to do this again. What I did like about it was that while there were plenty of people, (we were there between 9am-11am on a Saturday during the Pandemic), it wasn’t over crowded when we went and there was space to social distance if we ran into people. Most people we ran into wore masks, which I appreciated.

Tracy Hang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

Such a beautiful walk along and down to the beach. The little stream/water trickle was cute but not a must see. We did this trail, walking towards the closed tidal pool area, took the dirt trail up to the Portuguese bend/loop back out to the road, and walked down to inspiration point for the sunset. Now this was worth it. The Sunset was amazing and from inspiration point doing a full 360 view was beautiful!!

View Tracy's Recording
Ty C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
HikingRocky
michelle thienes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2020
Hiking

Pay to park. More of a beach day thing rather than a hike

View michelle's Recording
Selena Trager
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

Came here with my little nieces this past Saturday and had such a fantastic time. Fun easy trail with stunning views of the Pacific. We spent the rest of the day exploring the tide pools—so many hermit crabs, anemones, and starfish!—and playing in the warm waves. While the parking lot was very crowded, the tide pools and trail were both moderately quiet, and the majority of people we passed were respectful of proper distancing and wearing masks (thank you!). I would highly recommend not only applying sunscreen before starting, but also bringing a small bottle to apply throughout the day—there’s a lovely, constant ocean breeze here that belies how intense the sun actually gets, especially if you’re here for several hours. My shoulders and back were definitely a bit toasty the next day. (Also, watch out for snakes. We saw a handful along the trail and even one in the parking lot. No rattlers, but keep an eye out.) There are facilities at the entrance and several picnic tables throughout the grassy areas by the lot. Full day parking is $12/vehicle, but I believe it’s less if you only stay for an hour or two (but why would you?).

Nicholas Singh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 12, 2020
Hiking

This was one of my favorite trails when I lived in the South Bay. Been here over 10 times. Sometimes I would run it if I was looking for some good stress relief and a workout. A nice walk along the trail always brought me peace. The trail itself is very easy in my opinion, the cove was always a site to see , especially when it was low tide because you are able to wrap around the cove and really see the beauty of the tide pools.

Mercedes Moreno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020

loved the cave trail

April McGougan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 6, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeRocky
Verna Base
HikingBlowdownMuddyRockyScramble

Yet again another fun trail to hike in.

View Verna's Recording
Vida R. B.
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble
View Vida's Recording
Krysten Pacamara
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2020
HikingOver grownRocky
View Krysten's Recording
Laurenn Aguilar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2020
Hiking

Definitely just a walk, the water is nice. We tried to go to the tide pools but area is closed due to rocks falling. A lot of rocks! We did go up the bluff to walk on the road to add some extra mileage.

Kimberly Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020
HikingFeeOff trail

It’s a nice easy walk! The only problem is that there’s very limited parking and if you park in the residential areas it’s by permit only. Other than that, it’s a good walk alongside the beach (very rocky) and nice view once you reach the top!

Kate Wathall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 20, 2020
HikingScramble

Wouldn’t call it a hike. Pleasant walk, nice views, secluded and scenic beach :)

Marcelo Duran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 17, 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trailRocky

Went off trail west so we were walking on rocks the whole time so I don’t really want to rate this but it’s not giving me a choice. The trail itself is well marked and a decent walk with nice views.

View Marcelo's Recording