6 Peaks Loop

6 Peaks Loop is a 16.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 16.3 miles Elevation Gain: 4,612 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Difficult and challenging loop trail primarily on single track with lots of elevation change. Bag 6 peaks in a day (about 10 hours comfortable hiking speed); Mount Olympia, North Peak, Mt. Diablo Summit, Eagle Peak, Twin Peaks, and Mitchell Rock. Bring lots of water and plan on refilling at the picnic area/parking lot right below Mt. Diablo Summit. Excellent loop trail to experience the mountain.

Map is wrong. Clayton put up no parking signs except for about 10 spots. No more hiker parking on weekends on Regency dr. Start at Mitchell Canyon and support the park while having access to water and bathrooms

Very challenging. Bring plenty of water and avoid when hot.

Challenging hike. Took 9 hours to finish. Start early as it gets hot. Steep climbs, downhill need to be careful with gravel / slipping. Overall a highly enjoyable hike. Let’s lots of people on the trail, mist training for more challenging hikes - Mt Everest, Mt Whitney, Mt Fuji ...

This is an advanced hike - no surprise ( I made it in about 5 hours ). 4 recommendations: - start very early as the region is now getting very warm - do not forget your polls as there are some steep trails on the way down and it can be slippery - the junction to Olympia road on the way up was not obvious ( I missed it ) - watch out for poison oak It was very fun ! 06/29 : I did it again early this morning but this time from Mitchell - it is far better to take the elevation from there and descend from Olympia . I recommend this way of making it. With a little bit of extra difficulty - I came up with 5k ft

This is the quintessential East Bay hike! I have hiked to all of the peaks many times and in different combinations over the past two years but never all of them in the same day. The weather was perfect today, and there are still wildflowers, including lots of white butterfly mariposa lilies. Despite the grass becoming golden brown (which I think is still beautiful in its own way) the park is still very green and the creeks are flowing thanks to the recent rain. I did the hike counterclockwise, starting with Mitchell Rock and ending with Mt Olympia. I think this direction makes the hike more manageable since you can rest on the downhill from Mt Diablo and North Peak before moving on to subsequent peaks. Also, you can refill your water bottle at Diablo summit. One thing that took away from the entire experience was all the used toilet paper littered throughout the park :/ Please please please pack out your trash, leave no trace and keep Diablo beautiful for everyone else to enjoy :)

What an adventure! I consider myself in pretty good shape and this one kicked my butt. I’ve done the Diablo, Olympia, and Eagle summits all separately so it was really fun to string them all together. Hardest section was the part between Olympia and North Peak. The wooded section there had millions of flies that were swarming for about half a mile. It was so dense I considered turning back but ended up wrapping my shirt around my mouth so I didn’t inhale a ton of them and pushed through it. Never seen anything like it. Also saw someone who wiped out pretty bad on the way up to North Peak - it’s crazy steep, take it slow! Bring a ton of water and listen to your body. Diablo is the best thing about the Bay Area. Luckily that isn’t a widely known fact :)

Rad. Would only do once and then a 5 peak trail run excluding Diablo next time.

Pretty awesome trail. I started from the Diablo summit as I specifically wanted to train running down then walking up. Driving distance wise starting from the “official” start is likely quicker and getting the ascent out of the way is mentally much easier. Some really nice scenery this time of the year - particularly around the lowest section where everything is lush and green. Saw some amazing daffodils but not before I smelled them. Recommended - a really nice walk. I skipped the North Peak Summit as the weather really closed in. From past experience I know this was a smart choice - that short section is the toughest on the loop!

recorded 6 Peaks Loop

Best Mt. Diablo hike! Today I experienced the strongest winds ever in my life and rain too! Very adventurous experience hiking the ridge lines and cresting the summits in the stormy conditions. Great time!

great hiking did in 8 hours with about a 20 minute break at mount diablo peak

Despite many warnings and being advised not too, I hiked this trail for my first time hiking ever. I do not recommend it as it is extremely difficult and in some spots maybe alittle dangerous but I made it, it was well worth loosing the ability to move the next few days and I completed it in about 8 hours!

So happy to see all pushing for this loop! Such a beautiful time on the trail.

Nice and challenging hike, with great views. The heat was brutal even though I left early and hiked up in the shade.

Great hike with amazing views of the bay, Diablo and beyond. Uphill and downhill struggle pretty much the whole way! It took us 7.5 hours to do (moving time). This is much longer hiking time for us as the downhill is steep fairly frequently with poor grip. If you can stand the burn and blisters it’s definitely worth it!

Monday, May 28, 2018

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Hiking on Diablo is one of the biggest reasons why we all over-pay in rent and mortgages. If you’re not making use of such a beautiful mountain, that’s in your backyard, you may as well move to a different state. This is an amazing and challenging hike with phenomenal views, beautiful wildflowers, interesting animals, shade, sun, creeks and lovely smelling vegetation. This hike is full value and I can’t wait to hike it in a wet season to get a different experience. I would give it 4.5 stars only because a couple of areas have poison oak growing over the trail. Not a big deal if you wash everything as soon as you get home, but it slowed my pace and took my eyes off the scenery in some areas. 6 hours moving- 7 hours total.

Monday, May 14, 2018

Thanks to Mike Siders‘ review, I decided to go on this great hike, as I’m in the area for a business trip. I’m glad I did this hike - a great experience in such a beautiful area.

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Wow, this one is a doozy! I followed another review and used Juniper Trail and Meridian Ridge Trail instead of back tracking Not sure if this made it easier or harder but my total distance was just about the same, 16.2 miles and slightly more elevation. I wanted to do more of a loop and was happy about the decision. This is a solid hike but it can get windy on the peaks which can be a bit brutal if you aren't prepared for that. I was actually surprised this hike didn't end up being harder, overall it was super enjoyable but it's definitely a long hike, we finished in a little over 7 hours of moving time. If you want an all day hike and to see all Mt Diablo has to offer, highly recommend this one!

Monday, March 12, 2018

My route is slightly different in two areas: 1. I included the Falls Trail 2. I did not use Bald Ridge Trail to go Eagle Peak. In stead, I use Juniper Trail and Meridian Ridge Trail . This creates a larger loop with little repetition. The view is stunning. But AllTrails’ software problem got exposed again: the recording showed many line segments. That is disgusting.

Thursday, March 01, 2018

Great experience! expect to be hiking for 8-10 Hrs based on how often you stop. Plan on bringing at least half a gallon of water per person and plenty of snacks. Mt diablo is an awesome spot to rest before finishing the rest of the trail.

Friday, December 29, 2017