6 Peaks Loop

6 Peaks Loop is a 16.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

historic site

Difficult and challenging loop trail primarily on single track with lots of elevation change. Bag 6 peaks in a day (about 10 hours comfortable hiking speed); Mount Olympia, North Peak, Mt. Diablo Summit, Eagle Peak, Twin Peaks, and Mitchell Rock. Bring lots of water and plan on refilling at the picnic area/parking lot right below Mt. Diablo Summit. Excellent loop trail to experience the mountain.

Hiking on Diablo is one of the biggest reasons why we all over-pay in rent and mortgages. If you’re not making use of such a beautiful mountain, that’s in your backyard, you may as well move to a different state. This is an amazing and challenging hike with phenomenal views, beautiful wildflowers, interesting animals, shade, sun, creeks and lovely smelling vegetation. This hike is full value and I can’t wait to hike it in a wet season to get a different experience. I would give it 4.5 stars only because a couple of areas have poison oak growing over the trail. Not a big deal if you wash everything as soon as you get home, but it slowed my pace and took my eyes off the scenery in some areas. 6 hours moving- 7 hours total.

Thanks to Mike Siders‘ review, I decided to go on this great hike, as I’m in the area for a business trip. I’m glad I did this hike - a great experience in such a beautiful area.

Wow, this one is a doozy! I followed another review and used Juniper Trail and Meridian Ridge Trail instead of back tracking Not sure if this made it easier or harder but my total distance was just about the same, 16.2 miles and slightly more elevation. I wanted to do more of a loop and was happy about the decision. This is a solid hike but it can get windy on the peaks which can be a bit brutal if you aren't prepared for that. I was actually surprised this hike didn't end up being harder, overall it was super enjoyable but it's definitely a long hike, we finished in a little over 7 hours of moving time. If you want an all day hike and to see all Mt Diablo has to offer, highly recommend this one!

My route is slightly different in two areas: 1. I included the Falls Trail 2. I did not use Bald Ridge Trail to go Eagle Peak. In stead, I use Juniper Trail and Meridian Ridge Trail . This creates a larger loop with little repetition. The view is stunning. But AllTrails’ software problem got exposed again: the recording showed many line segments. That is disgusting.

Great experience! expect to be hiking for 8-10 Hrs based on how often you stop. Plan on bringing at least half a gallon of water per person and plenty of snacks. Mt diablo is an awesome spot to rest before finishing the rest of the trail.