Learn more

6 Peaks Loop is a 16.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, California that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 16.7 miles Elevation Gain: 4,760 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Difficult and challenging loop trail primarily on single track with lots of elevation change. Bag 6 peaks in a day (about 10 hours comfortable hiking speed); Mount Olympia, North Peak, Mt. Diablo Summit, Eagle Peak, Twin Peaks, and Mitchell Rock. Bring lots of water and plan on refilling at the picnic area/parking lot right below Mt. Diablo Summit. Excellent loop trail to experience the mountain. Please note: California State Parks has reopened all of the state park units affected by the recent wildfires and public safety power shutoffs. A few may have limited services. However, situations can change rapidly with the threat of future wildfires and PSPS. Please consult the park's website before visiting.

This is a very hard hike. Very slippery and dangerous as well. Dont go without hiking poles and a good pair of shoes with traction. We did about 5100 ft of elevation till my watch died at eagle peak. We encountered a snake on the trail so keep an eye. Slipped and fell and got bruises despite being careful. I would highly recommend going on a cooler day. Heat really wears you down. Overall it was a good trail. Wont do it again though just because it is so slippery.

Its hard and an open hike with a very less shade. The trails are super slippery because of the gravel. You have to be very careful so not to slip/skid even with the hiking poles. Do carry enough water, though you can always fill drinking water at Mt Diablo summit. Rest the views are beautiful. Its really a good workout. Keep your spirit up and your gaze on the trail.

Pros: - Stunning views of the full bay area - Great workout, even for experienced hikers - Very cool to look up from the bottom of Mitchell Canyon and review the territory you just conquered - If you're in a Fitbit competition with anyone, you'll crush them Cons: - Narrow, steep, gravelly slipping. This is the reason I won't do this hike again - the route from Olympia down to the creek (going CCW) was unpleasant. There's a lot of gravel just the right size to slip underfoot. I had poles (thankfully) but didn't enjoy it one bit and probably added an hour going down. - Long enough hike that it'll get hot at some point if you're there during warmer months. Even starting early, we struggled with the heat. Next time, I'll probably do the CCW route but then drop into Mitchell Canyon from Diablo and skip North Peak & Olympia.

Bring hiking poles. Some section are narrow, too close to the edge, steep and loose sliding rocks. I found going up much easier than coming down. Don't forget to take your hiking poles unlike me . Fantastic hike though !

Nice trail - a group of 4 experienced hikers were pooped at the end. Mileage a bit greater than the AllTrails quote by around a half mile. Several portions of the trail not heavily used, very narrow and prone to erosion. Be careful!

Don’t underestimate this hike. Started counterclockwise at 11:30 and ended at 6:15, but was keeping a quick pace and jogging many of the flats/declines. I’m a big guy (6’10 240lb) and I went through 6L of water. Unfortunately, the trail is not very well maintained in some places. You will certainly be ducking under shrubbery and branches sometimes. Also, there are quite a few places where the trail is extremely slippery, so be careful. Poles would probably be nice (I did not have them). If you are trying to do this hike during COVID, all parking is closed in the park. What I did is I parked on a residential street in Clayton near an entrance to the park. Good luck, this hike has beautiful views and is great for training.

Amazing, lots of shade, went to the top p of Olympus first... way harder - I don’t recommend it. Eagle peak is awesome and full of eagles! Will see repeat going thru Mitchel Rock next time... much easier ascent.

This was a super fun adventure, but it was longer than stated.

According to police, over 40 tickets given recently. Listen to Mitchell c. Much cheaper to park at the park entrance on Mitchell Canyon

Like Peter J said. Park at Mitchell Canyon. It’s sad that people do not want to pay for parking and complain about limited parking on a residential street and having to walk to their car after hiking. Support the park with a measly $6.00 parking fee

Great workout hike! Did it as a training hike for El Capitan, and feel way more confident about it now :) I am not gonna add much to previous reviews, except that allow extra time when you go down: at least half of it on pretty slippery gravel, so it will be slower than you expect. Poles would be helpful! Also, about parking: that street has “Parking by permit only - weekends and all federal holidays 8 am to 6 pm” or something like that sign. At the very trailhead, there is free parking but only for 6-8 cars. We took the last one at 11 am on Sunday, otherwise you have to park half a mile a way on a side street. After this long hike is not pleasant to hike to your car :) so arrive early. We did it on 10/20/19, and the weather was just perfect!

This is one of my favorite hiking routes: great views(especially in winter and spring), adequate elevation gain and length. But the name is misleading: there are no 6 peaks, only 4 peaks. Let us admit it: twin peaks are not really peaks.

I like big loops and I cannot lie: this one is magnificent. It starts with a 20 minute warm-up walk in largely flat terrain, with the first peaks in the backdrop, before changing into a mild incline to set the scene. After about 1 hour, things become more interesting with steeper slopes. The (relatively short) ascents to Mt Olympia and North Peak are probably the most difficult parts of the entire loop: quite steep with lots of gravel. Good to get out of the way early. The trail up to Mt Diablo takes longer than you'd think it would, but the views are definitely worth it. After returning from Diablo, the (ridge) trails became more interesting for me: narrower, with more variety, closer to nature. Occasional gravel here, too; so watch your steps downhill. In the afternoon sun, the light around the Eagle Peak area is spectacular. The peak itself is the last serious ascent. Stop by Twin Peaks (say Hi to the Log Lady) and collect Mitchel Rock on your way down to round off the trail. This trail requires endurance and offers a lot of variety in return. The various ascents can be challenging in their steepness, but have almost no tricky technical aspects; just loose gravel and very few rocky bits. Between ascents there is plenty of nearly flat terrain to relax your legs. Most of the loop is pretty exposed to the sun. There's a water fountain and toilets on the Mt Diablo summit. My moving time was 6.5 hours, not including a snack break atop Diablo.

tl;dr. Took about 7 hours. Start early since it can get really hot. Had a 3L Camelbak. Refill water at Mt. Diablo. Use AllTrails as a couple of turns are not clear. Agree with Chip Skate. Park at Mitchell Canyon Visitor Center. It opens at 8am, but if you arrive before that, just pick up a tiny envelope at the gate, put in $6 (cash or check!), tear the slip and put it on your dash, deposit envelope in box. Did this hike on my day off which happened to be during a heat wave of 100+ F. Definitely started early and the weather wasn't too bad. At altitude, it was windy so that kept me cool. I'd say there's tree coverage for about half the trail and the remainder is open. Use the AllTrails app. There are a lot of paths here and some of them are not clear when hiking. I went counter-clockwise and the left turn off where Mount Olympia Road meets Olympia Trail wasn't clear. Some areas are steep and having walking sticks is a definite plus. Downhill can be loose and slippery. Blisters on my soles :( I didn't have bugs in September unlike other hikers who went in June. Didn't see any trash on the trail either. I was the only one on the trail on a Tuesday :)

Map is wrong. Clayton put up no parking signs except for about 10 spots. No more hiker parking on weekends on Regency dr. Start at Mitchell Canyon and support the park while having access to water and bathrooms

Very challenging. Bring plenty of water and avoid when hot.

Tue Jun 11 2019

Sun Jun 09 2019

Challenging hike. Took 9 hours to finish. Start early as it gets hot. Steep climbs, downhill need to be careful with gravel / slipping. Overall a highly enjoyable hike. Let’s lots of people on the trail, mist training for more challenging hikes - Mt Everest, Mt Whitney, Mt Fuji ...

Sun Jun 09 2019

This is an advanced hike - no surprise ( I made it in about 5 hours ). 4 recommendations: - start very early as the region is now getting very warm - do not forget your polls as there are some steep trails on the way down and it can be slippery - the junction to Olympia road on the way up was not obvious ( I missed it ) - watch out for poison oak It was very fun ! 06/29 : I did it again early this morning but this time from Mitchell - it is far better to take the elevation from there and descend from Olympia . I recommend this way of making it. With a little bit of extra difficulty - I came up with 5k ft

Sat May 25 2019

This is the quintessential East Bay hike! I have hiked to all of the peaks many times and in different combinations over the past two years but never all of them in the same day. The weather was perfect today, and there are still wildflowers, including lots of white butterfly mariposa lilies. Despite the grass becoming golden brown (which I think is still beautiful in its own way) the park is still very green and the creeks are flowing thanks to the recent rain. I did the hike counterclockwise, starting with Mitchell Rock and ending with Mt Olympia. I think this direction makes the hike more manageable since you can rest on the downhill from Mt Diablo and North Peak before moving on to subsequent peaks. Also, you can refill your water bottle at Diablo summit. One thing that took away from the entire experience was all the used toilet paper littered throughout the park :/ Please please please pack out your trash, leave no trace and keep Diablo beautiful for everyone else to enjoy :)

Sat May 11 2019

What an adventure! I consider myself in pretty good shape and this one kicked my butt. I’ve done the Diablo, Olympia, and Eagle summits all separately so it was really fun to string them all together. Hardest section was the part between Olympia and North Peak. The wooded section there had millions of flies that were swarming for about half a mile. It was so dense I considered turning back but ended up wrapping my shirt around my mouth so I didn’t inhale a ton of them and pushed through it. Never seen anything like it. Also saw someone who wiped out pretty bad on the way up to North Peak - it’s crazy steep, take it slow! Bring a ton of water and listen to your body. Diablo is the best thing about the Bay Area. Luckily that isn’t a widely known fact :)

Tue Apr 09 2019

Rad. Would only do once and then a 5 peak trail run excluding Diablo next time.

Sat Feb 02 2019

Pretty awesome trail. I started from the Diablo summit as I specifically wanted to train running down then walking up. Driving distance wise starting from the “official” start is likely quicker and getting the ascent out of the way is mentally much easier. Some really nice scenery this time of the year - particularly around the lowest section where everything is lush and green. Saw some amazing daffodils but not before I smelled them. Recommended - a really nice walk. I skipped the North Peak Summit as the weather really closed in. From past experience I know this was a smart choice - that short section is the toughest on the loop!

Wed Jan 23 2019

Sat Jan 05 2019

Best Mt. Diablo hike! Today I experienced the strongest winds ever in my life and rain too! Very adventurous experience hiking the ridge lines and cresting the summits in the stormy conditions. Great time!