6 Mile Trail to West Ridge Trail

6 Mile Trail to West Ridge Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Soquel, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

2096 feet

This approach to West Ridge Trail through LOTMB is a slight deviation from the normal loop. I had never seen it before, and I hike this park all the time. It starts the same, but the trail forks when the normal loop starts to head up and away from the creek (I had to use my GPS to spot it, as LOTMB doesn’t have great signage anyway, and there are lots of diverging footpaths along the creekside), and this trail crosses the creek and heads up the same ridge in a different way. It meets back up with the original trail before the loop heads back down the ridge or continues on into Nisene Marks, but in a strange way—it just sort of ended and left me scratching my head, and then I emerged back onto the original trail through some brush, startling some other hikers in the process! It seems like it is an old spur that has fallen into disuse, as it is extremely narrow, with lots of washed out sections. There are some really steep spots, which makes sense, as the part of the loop this trail diverges from is all switchbacks, and this trail has basically none. I was also hiking after some light rain, and some of these parts of the trail were so muddy I had to pull myself up by holding onto exposed roots or whatever I could find that was sturdy. It’s just as beautiful as the rest of LOTMB, but I would just stick to the normal loop. It is neither faster to West Ridge Trail, easier, nor more beautiful than the rest of the loop, and in parts, it seems like you shouldn’t be on it at all.