Winthrop P. Rockefeller Boy Scout Trail

Winthrop P. Rockefeller Boy Scout Trail is a 8.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Morrilton, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Boy Scout Trail is a 12 mile loop that encompasses parts of most of the trails in the park which includes the most scenic areas in the park; Rockhouse cave, grottos with waterfalls, cascades, towering bluffs with views, historic structures and much more.

We went on a hike here yesterday and it was wonderful. If you do the Rockefeller by itself, then it's an 8 miler. Adding the seven hollow trail is what makes it over 14 miles. During a 90° day, it's tough but well worth it, alot of shade. The sites were spectacular. If you dont wanna do a hike that long, you don't have to. This trail has 5-6 trails within it that range from 1-4 miles. Definitely a hidden gem between 2 national parks and worth the trip!

Harder trial, beautiful!

I really love this trail. Traveling from Hot Springs, it is close enough to make a full day out of it! I've completed this trail once, and I am going back Wednesday to do this trail plus some more! Also, this definitely is closer to 13 miles instead of the 8 stated above. The steepest parts are around the 4-5 mile marks!

Beutiful!! Took about 6 hours with Seven Hollows. I agree with the other comments counterclockwise is definitely the way to take the trail.

Great trail. Took about 4 hours, not including a short stop at Mather’s Lodge for a break. Take the trail counterclockwise for a less steep climb.
Will definitely hit this one again.

Did this on Labor day with my son, we opted to do it with Seven Hallows and did it in 6 hrs. Amazing views! Once we were done we drove back to Mather lodge and enjoyed an outstanding dinner.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Was stunningly beautiful. Saw no one else on trail. Was fantastic

Saturday, July 29, 2017

My daughter and I went on this trail. I love the first half of it but was disappointed once we got into the more wooded section of it. The trails were overgrown and poison ivy was everywhere. There was no way to avoid it at all. You do check in and out at the visitor center for this trail.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

Monday, May 22, 2017

Great day to be out. Overcast and temps in the low 70s. We did the Cedar Falls trail, then took the Canyon trail where it splits off from the Cedar Falls trail at the little bridge. Followed it to the Boy Scout trail and took it over to the Rock House Cave. From there, we stayed on the Boy Scout trail, crossed Cedar Creek, went up to the overlook and back to the lodge.
The only bad thing it the poison ivy is EVERYWHERE. If you don't like it, you should wait until the fall or winter before going.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

This was a phenomenal day of hiking! I believe that Indian Creek is the *prettiest* hike in Arkansas, but this trail may very well be the *best.* It has absolutely everything - the CCC lodge, the pioneer cabin, the creek, turtle rocks, caves, pictographs, waterfalls, a great natural bridge. The Grotto on the 7 Hollows portion was beautiful.

Yes, it's 12 miles, but it's a pretty easy 12 miles. I even tacked on the two-mile Cedar Creek Falls Trail. There was, admittedly, some regret on the way back up, as I'd already hiked 11 miles at this point, but you should definitely see the Falls from the bottom.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

When reaching the break in the trail near Mather lodge if you are hiking counter clockwise (which is suggested as others have stated) cross the parking lot and to the right of the first cabin is where the trail continues. Due to the amount of cars in the parking lot this was hard to spot, had to ask the workers at the lodge who did not know

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Great trail! The markings have all been fixed apparently, as we had no problems staying on trail. The BSA trail is white blazes, and you will follow white outlined blazes as you go on concurrent trails. The park map does leave a little to be desired, but overall we had a great time (our 10 yo led the way and never lost track). The Mather lodge is the only place we had to search, go out the front toward the cabins and you'll see the blazes again. Gps called it 8.2 miles and we skipped the 7 hollows. Made it back in about 4 hours. This is a must do if you have time. We hiked counter clockwise as others said to. There are a couple of good climbs up. This one reminded us we have been too lazy over the holidays!!

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Nice hike with several ups and downs. The trail follows several others so it can be difficult to stay on the right one- best to bring a map.

Monday, January 02, 2017

My 14 yr old daughter and I hiked this trail on New Years Eve day and absolutely loved it. It was our first hike of this distance and I definitely felt it the next day but it was totally worth it. As others have said, you experience all sorts of different terrain that the mountain has to offer. Our trek came out to 11.8 miles (we included Seven Hollows Trail) and we finished in just over 6.5 hours.
Would definitely recommend!

Thursday, December 29, 2016

As it states above: 8.2 miles. Yes it's that long if you don't do to many off trail adventures. The sign by the Bridge/Parking lot says it's 12.5 miles and estimated time to do the hole thing.
To reach the 12.5 miles the sign states you'll have to add on the "Seven Hollows Trail". This trail is very beautiful as well!
This hike was beautiful! I did them both at separate times. I would advise doing the trail counter clockwise! Reason? There's a long long long elevation decline and after crossing the creek it's a quick elevation incline. I'm the guy who likes to get er" done!
In other words if you do the trail clockwise....it'll be an extremely long long long elevation incline.
Either way it'll still be beautiful! It'll just be your choice in what kinda burn you want in your calves! Lol Have Fun!!!

Friday, September 30, 2016

We camped in Petit Jean State Park and hiked all of the Petit Jean State Park trails in late September 2016. The paved biking and walking trail connects to most all of the hiking trails in the Park so it is easy to camp or rent one of the rustic cabins and connect to the 20+ miles of trails. Nice campground and friendly staff. Would definitely want to come back.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

I really enjoyed this hike, but I agree with other reviewers that it could be better marked at some points. I lost track of the markings around the turtle rocks before the grotto and I wandered off a bit and had to backtrack a bit. I can't say enough great things otherwise; great views and long enough to make you feel like you accomplished something. Bring bug spray.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

October 2015: My wife and I spent 5 days here camping and we were able to hike all Petit Jean State Park trails, this was a very beautiful campground with very friendly employees, Rangers and guests. The lodge was awesome and very friendly.

It was a very special time for both of us!!

Sunday, July 03, 2016

The trail was good, however the experience could be greatly improved with better trail marking especially when it merges with another trail. we spent a lot of our time trying to figure out which way to go instead of enjoying the hike. Inexperienced hikers trying to navigate the trail as it is now could lead to a dangerous and serious situation

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This was a lot more than we expected. Take lots of water and snacks.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Great trail! Definitely a long walk/hike, be prepared physically and bring a lot of water. You won't run into many other hikers except when crossing other trails. Also, we found at least 3 geocaches along the way, so keep an eye out and don't forget your map. There are portions where the trail can be lost for a minute, so be mindful of where you are.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Perfect. Even enjoyed the trails in the rain! Can't wait to go back

Monday, September 21, 2015

We camped one night in a tent and hiked most of the trails, about 8 1/4 mile total. It was great. There wasn't much water in the creek or waterfall but it was still beautiful. Seven Hollows trail was our favorite. The campsite was excellent with grill, fire pit, water, electric. The bathhouse was pretty nice with medium temp water. Bring your own firewood.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

First time hiking in about 10 years so this was rough, but definitely worth it.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

This is our go to campground! When all else fail Petit Jean delivers. Love the trails here and views are incredible!

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

A good day hike. The Davies bridge is only .25 mile from visitor center. The map/brochure is available from the bulliten board to the left of the entrance if after hours. Save yourself .5 mi and park at the playground betwixt visitor center and Davies bridge.
Cross the bridge and drop down ro Cedar Creek. When there's water it's loud in a good way. Lots of rock and as you move along your white trail will merge w/red. The diamond blazes are then red w/white outline. The BSA trail when merging w/other trails will always have white border on whatever colour the other trail may be. Usually. I did have to drop down early on red blazes only, but shortly after the white borders reappeared.
Leaving the creek there's many rock bluffs, rock house, turtle rocks as you climb up the side of the canyon. You encounter two overlooks/bluffs that this time od year show a lot of green along w/Mathers lodge and other PJ park buildings across the chasm.
Heading uphill into the woods is a nice secluded trail that ends crossing a dirt road. From there it's all downhill on a 7' wide old dirt road to blue hole/Cedar Creek again w/rock stepping stones crossing. From there it's all up to hwy 154. You must continue as the trail parallels the road for 150' to the trail head on the other side. It's also uphill though not as much grade. At hwy 155 you cross and take a slight jag to the right maybe 75'.
A short distance has you intersecting the 4.5 mi section of the Seven Hollows trail. Hang a right and go "backwards". This is the only trail w/mile markers every .5 mi. Almost halfway around is more turtle rocks & the one way grotto spur .25 mi. Finishing the loop puts you at the 7 hallows trailhead, first sign of trash cans and hwy 154 again.
A quick jaunt across and not too far finds you at Mathers Lodge. This is somewhat surreal as you've been hiking in solitude for some time and now you're walking through the breezeway & parking lot w/soccer moms clutching their children protecting the brood from the current danger that stepped out of the woods. On the plus side $1.50 buys a 20 oz cold water from vending machine. Or in my case cold out settling on a powerade type drink over no shortage of sodas. Through the parking lot to the right of the last cabin in the middle cul-de-sac and the now familiar B.S.A. marker looms.
A couple of views from the edge and the trail goes back down to Cedar Creek and a bridge taking you back on the west side where you started.
The map has little detail. I thought I crossed a road that wasn't marked and backtracked from 155 to 154 & back thinking I'd missed the 7 Hallows trl when in fact I wasn't that far yet. This trl map is fine for the shorter trls, but doesn't do the BSA justice. You have to keep your eyes open and at times do a bit of sleuthing to make a determination. Cell phone service is naught in the canyons. Even the crossing at 154 was spotty as I called the visitor center to find out only that I wasn't at the wild hog crossing before losing the signal. All in all the trail is well marked though some spots are momentarily tricky and for me required a few more steps to come to correct conclusion. My 12 mile hike ended up being 13. I had no compass, GPS or additional map.
I'll go back, but I will reconfigure the route eliminating certain sections whilst adding others for an even more enjoyable experience.

Thursday, June 04, 2015

Poorly marked trails make it somewhat difficult at times to figure out where you are and where to go. I started at Mather with the intention of looping around (it's totally possible), but it was difficult to navigate via the map and markers. All and all, it's an easy hike--but expect to encounter little traffic along the way. Bring water.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Boy Scout Trail was an excellent trail with beautiful views, infused with tests of endurance. There were various elevation shifts, changing terrains and sparsely placed markers (Tip: Keep an eye-out for white spots on trees and boulders). My girlfriend and I finished the trail in roughly 7.5 hours; keeping an aggressive pace, although, taking time to enjoy special places e.g. Turtle Rocks. Also, we had plenty of water (3 L hydro-packs) and snacks, which helped keep us energized throughout the journey. Have a safe hike.....B~

NOTE: Check-in and check-out at Ranger Station is required for this trail (Safety #1)

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Completed in a little over 5 hours, wish we had hiked counter clockwise to avoid so much uphill. Beautiful trail.