Winthrop P. Rockefeller Boy Scout Trail

Winthrop P. Rockefeller Boy Scout Trail is a 8.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Morrilton, Arkansas that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Boy Scout Trail is a 12 mile loop that encompasses parts of most of the trails in the park which includes the most scenic areas in the park; Rockhouse cave, grottos with waterfalls, cascades, towering bluffs with views, historic structures and much more.

Great day to be out. Overcast and temps in the low 70s. We did the Cedar Falls trail, then took the Canyon trail where it splits off from the Cedar Falls trail at the little bridge. Followed it to the Boy Scout trail and took it over to the Rock House Cave. From there, we stayed on the Boy Scout trail, crossed Cedar Creek, went up to the overlook and back to the lodge.
The only bad thing it the poison ivy is EVERYWHERE. If you don't like it, you should wait until the fall or winter before going.

This was a phenomenal day of hiking! I believe that Indian Creek is the *prettiest* hike in Arkansas, but this trail may very well be the *best.* It has absolutely everything - the CCC lodge, the pioneer cabin, the creek, turtle rocks, caves, pictographs, waterfalls, a great natural bridge. The Grotto on the 7 Hollows portion was beautiful.

Yes, it's 12 miles, but it's a pretty easy 12 miles. I even tacked on the two-mile Cedar Creek Falls Trail. There was, admittedly, some regret on the way back up, as I'd already hiked 11 miles at this point, but you should definitely see the Falls from the bottom.

When reaching the break in the trail near Mather lodge if you are hiking counter clockwise (which is suggested as others have stated) cross the parking lot and to the right of the first cabin is where the trail continues. Due to the amount of cars in the parking lot this was hard to spot, had to ask the workers at the lodge who did not know

Great trail! The markings have all been fixed apparently, as we had no problems staying on trail. The BSA trail is white blazes, and you will follow white outlined blazes as you go on concurrent trails. The park map does leave a little to be desired, but overall we had a great time (our 10 yo led the way and never lost track). The Mather lodge is the only place we had to search, go out the front toward the cabins and you'll see the blazes again. Gps called it 8.2 miles and we skipped the 7 hollows. Made it back in about 4 hours. This is a must do if you have time. We hiked counter clockwise as others said to. There are a couple of good climbs up. This one reminded us we have been too lazy over the holidays!!

Nice hike with several ups and downs. The trail follows several others so it can be difficult to stay on the right one- best to bring a map.

My 14 yr old daughter and I hiked this trail on New Years Eve day and absolutely loved it. It was our first hike of this distance and I definitely felt it the next day but it was totally worth it. As others have said, you experience all sorts of different terrain that the mountain has to offer. Our trek came out to 11.8 miles (we included Seven Hollows Trail) and we finished in just over 6.5 hours.
Would definitely recommend!

As it states above: 8.2 miles. Yes it's that long if you don't do to many off trail adventures. The sign by the Bridge/Parking lot says it's 12.5 miles and estimated time to do the hole thing.
To reach the 12.5 miles the sign states you'll have to add on the "Seven Hollows Trail". This trail is very beautiful as well!
This hike was beautiful! I did them both at separate times. I would advise doing the trail counter clockwise! Reason? There's a long long long elevation decline and after crossing the creek it's a quick elevation incline. I'm the guy who likes to get er" done!
In other words if you do the trail clockwise....it'll be an extremely long long long elevation incline.
Either way it'll still be beautiful! It'll just be your choice in what kinda burn you want in your calves! Lol Have Fun!!!

We camped in Petit Jean State Park and hiked all of the Petit Jean State Park trails in late September 2016. The paved biking and walking trail connects to most all of the hiking trails in the Park so it is easy to camp or rent one of the rustic cabins and connect to the 20+ miles of trails. Nice campground and friendly staff. Would definitely want to come back.

I really enjoyed this hike, but I agree with other reviewers that it could be better marked at some points. I lost track of the markings around the turtle rocks before the grotto and I wandered off a bit and had to backtrack a bit. I can't say enough great things otherwise; great views and long enough to make you feel like you accomplished something. Bring bug spray.

October 2015: My wife and I spent 5 days here camping and we were able to hike all Petit Jean State Park trails, this was a very beautiful campground with very friendly employees, Rangers and guests. The lodge was awesome and very friendly.

It was a very special time for both of us!!

The trail was good, however the experience could be greatly improved with better trail marking especially when it merges with another trail. we spent a lot of our time trying to figure out which way to go instead of enjoying the hike. Inexperienced hikers trying to navigate the trail as it is now could lead to a dangerous and serious situation