Winding Stairs Trail

Winding Stairs Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Caddo Gap, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trails has nice rock formations, cascades, and swimming holes. Primitive camping is allowed along the trail. Be careful, you do have to cross the river, make sure is not to high to cross safely.

The yellow/white trail to the stairs was a bit difficult to navigate. If you're not sure where to go, try looking for the next marker across the river! This place was incredible!

I loved this hike. We made it all the way to peace rock, and kids swam in lake. Parts of the hike made me a bit nervous with a pretty steep dropoff on one side. Lots of variety with this trail.

It is nice for those who venture off of the horse trail and elevate onto some more narrower rocky passes. Overgrown in areas and not well marked, but hey, venture out. Bring bug spray and sunscreen.

Wonderful trail and really easy. Only one hill to hump. You follow the river most of the time. The end of the trail has some great camping spots right on the river. The bugs weren't bad until we started using our headlamps at night. But even then none of them were biting. Some late night swimming in the clear warm water was a great finish to it. Highly recommend it.

Ticked off. Party of 8. We all had ticks. Also spider webs in my face. Not easily marked. After 2nd crossing no clue where to go. Not a fan.

God's creation

Awesome place to bring friends and family. God's handy work.

My wife and I walked this trail on March 5, 2017 with our grandkids (5 and 8). It was cool and misting rain and the trail was wet, but we had an amazing time.
The trail was a bit treacherous at about the halfway point going up the mountain, but we managed by going slowly and holding the kids hands. It wouldn't be so bad when the trail is dry.
It was a beautiful walk and an awesome way to spend a day. I'll be returning to back[pack and camp with my grandson soon!

Beautiful trail, but what the heck the trails are so poorly marked. When you get to the end and think there's no where to go- cross the river. It took us forever to find the right area. But very beautiful great swim once we got to the peace sign rock!

wonderful trail! the first time we def didn't take enough water and it seemed strenuous but then I did it 3 more times and it got easier each time! you've gotta cross the river twice but it's not that bad.... amazing scenery!

Was a great trail. Not marked well though. Relied on others at the beginning to show us where to cross the water to start. Walk along the path until you see the two markings on the tree with a log in the water. That's the first crossing.
When you come to the island in the water and the trail looks like it dumps right into the water and where you can see stair like rock formations, that's the second water crossing. Overall it was a gorgeous day to be outside and the hike was perfect.