Winding Stairs Trail

Winding Stairs Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Caddo Gap, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trails has nice rock formations, cascades, and swimming holes. Primitive camping is allowed along the trail. Be careful, you do have to cross the river, make sure is not to high to cross safely.

Ticked off. Party of 8. We all had ticks. Also spider webs in my face. Not easily marked. After 2nd crossing no clue where to go. Not a fan.

God's creation

Awesome place to bring friends and family. God's handy work.

My wife and I walked this trail on March 5, 2017 with our grandkids (5 and 8). It was cool and misting rain and the trail was wet, but we had an amazing time.
The trail was a bit treacherous at about the halfway point going up the mountain, but we managed by going slowly and holding the kids hands. It wouldn't be so bad when the trail is dry.
It was a beautiful walk and an awesome way to spend a day. I'll be returning to back[pack and camp with my grandson soon!

Beautiful trail, but what the heck the trails are so poorly marked. When you get to the end and think there's no where to go- cross the river. It took us forever to find the right area. But very beautiful great swim once we got to the peace sign rock!

wonderful trail! the first time we def didn't take enough water and it seemed strenuous but then I did it 3 more times and it got easier each time! you've gotta cross the river twice but it's not that bad.... amazing scenery!

Was a great trail. Not marked well though. Relied on others at the beginning to show us where to cross the water to start. Walk along the path until you see the two markings on the tree with a log in the water. That's the first crossing.
When you come to the island in the water and the trail looks like it dumps right into the water and where you can see stair like rock formations, that's the second water crossing. Overall it was a gorgeous day to be outside and the hike was perfect.

The hike was great but difficult to find the trail head and definitely bring water shoes. You have to cross the river to start the trail and then again about 2.5 miles in. To find the trail head from the parking lot follow the trail down to the river and then look across the river for a tree with a blue marker and another with a white marker and that's where you want to cross.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Great hike! There are a few great stops in the river! Not to hard, not to long...great day hike!!!

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Monday, April 11, 2016

As Ryan said the trail head is a bit off. Finding the trail can be a little difficult at times, we walked the river the first few miles and caught up to the trail after the first big bend. Definitely need water shoes, a must cuz bare feet on these rocks are brutal.

We talked to a few hikers that know the trail well, it is a part of a 27 mile trail that is a loop. I might be off on the miles, as I heard 25 as well. we spent the night about 3.5 miles in, and it was incredible. camp sites are plentiful and accessible. many right on the water the first 5 miles or so.

leaving we hiked up the mountain and left the river to the right, it's a steep clip at some points but is worth the time, the views are incredible.

we will be back on this one. And for some, there is some idiot that kept writing his initials all over the trail "JP" is NOT me.