Whitaker Point Trail (Hawksbill Crag)

Whitaker Point Trail (Hawksbill Crag) is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Deer, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The trail's destination is the "Crag," a rock formation that juts out from the bluff's face that resembles a hawk's beak. It overlooks Whitaker Creek and a huge valley stretching for a long distance. In the spring and fall during rainy season, you can discover a number of waterfalls.

Loved it!!

Beautiful trail one of the must sees here in Arkansas went last weekend early around 7am not a soul on the trail had the whole point to ourselves, check out the video below:

Easy and short hike! The view looks amazing!

January is a great time to go. We passed only four hikers.

Great views, great hike! Not a ideal hike if you’re afraid of heights like me!

Beautiful hike. Will do this one again. Only a couple steep areas and a few water crossings after rains.

This trail was the high light of our weekend, the hawksbill crag at the end was well worth the walk and the views are simple breathtaking, BUT there are some minor set backs, there was probably 40 - 60 cars in the parking lot which meant the trail was gonna be busy, so kinda crowded for when we went, also the county road into the trailhead is nearly 6 miles of very steep gravel road, please don't have any trouble with your brakes on your vehicle because it could lead to an interesting ride down on the way out, all and all great trail and worth the drive

Probably the best short dayhike in the Ozarks. Pretty easy with a rewarding view at the end. The road going up is no joke though. Surprised how rough the road is for how popular the crag is.

Pretty EZ hike with amazing Ozark views. There’s a long dirt road to get to this hike, but it’s nothing too hard to get up. That’s part of the fun. The hike starts out downhill first, so that the hardest part on the return. The trail was a little tricky to follow because you come to 1 or 2 crossroads.

Excellent view! The drive up to the cliff may take around 20-25 because the gravel road.

Wonderful hiking place. On the way to Whitaker point, there are lot of view spots.

My absolute favorite. The view was amazing. The road was rough wish we had a 4 wheel drive would hate to even think of trying it after a rain. Once you reach the parking area you will be glad you came

I’m going to echo what Destiny said about the drive up to the trailhead. I did not expect the drive there and back to be so difficult on my car. It is narrow, there are no lights and the incline is high. After that drive, I’m now thinking about buying a Toyota 4Runner. I rated it a 3 because of the drive. Unfortunately although the views are amazing, I don’t think I’ll come back because of the drive. Past that, it is a very easy hike. We hiked Hemmed-in-Hollow right before Whitaker Point. It was nice. It took us 1.5 hours RT. We stopped to take pictures, of course. It is a very easy trail to follow. No complaints. Amazing views.

My 1st hike and it was AMAZING!!!! A must see and you will return.

One of my favorite hikes within a 4 hour radius. It’s amazing. Easy for kids, easy for adults, the switchbacks heading back out of the ravine towards the parking lot can be rough on the littles and the out of shape but there are just a couple so it’s not a big deal. I would definitely not want to be out there after dark, so watch your clock during the winter months and leave enough time to get back to car. Several creek crossings, a waterfall, lots of opportunity for kids to scramble, and incredibly views once you hit the bluff line. The edge is sheer once you pass the waterfall so I don’t know if I would bring kids unless they can mind very well. My 8 year old did ok but he’s used to it. An incredible view of the ozarks. It will be a yearly trip now. One thing to note. The drive up was horrendous in my civic. Next time I will be borrowing a 4x4. Incredibly steep county road. Made the 11% graded highway look flat. Happy trails !

Got to trailhead right at sunrise. Five cars all ready there. First mile just a walk in the woods. Next half mile had cliffs to look off, quite a few rocks to get unique photos. The crag was cool..got some great pics..although at sunrise there is quite a glare. Nice area , but we had driven 1.5 hours to get there...wouldn't do that again...just not enough character. 2 hour hike...3 hour drive all together..

Not much parking so get there early! Views are amazing.

Moderate trail with an awesome view at the end

Mediocre trail but view of Whittaker Point is amazing and worth it. Drive to trail head is quite difficult on steep rocky roads. Once you get to parking the trail is the one on left side of road as you are driving up mountain. Lots of people hiking this trail for such a remote area.

Easy hike, obvious trail even covered with leaves. I’m out of shape, so if you think you are, too, don’t be afraid of this hike. The view is worth it! Just amazing. (Start early, preferably a week day, if you want some peace and quiet.)

Fall leaves were remarkable! So beautiful!

Easy hike. Great viewpoint

Great trail to check out the fall colors if you can time it right. Easy trail. There is an incline at the end when you come back but nothing I thought was too bad. The trail is very popular and was very busy and parking was a mess. For how popular this trail is it would be nice to see them put in a parking lot someday. Great rock formations and the views from the bluffs are amazing. It’s a cant miss hike but don’t expect peace and quiet on the weekends.

Gorgeous views form the crag and trail leading up to it. Beautiful trees and creek crossings. Very busy during the Fall months and parking is difficult along the gravel road.

Long bumpy road to trailhead like others have said. In was easier than out as out felt mostly uphill and I'm old and out of shape, lol! Views were amazing! It was crowded on a October Monday including a hammock couple that had been there all day. :( we walked a bit further and found a nice spot for lunch and when we were done the place was empty. So if it's super crowded the day you come I recommend waiting around a little while and you will probably get it to yourself. I'd say this is a must do hike if your in the area.

Beautiful and amazing views! A bit crowded and commercial feeling but deff going to give it another try.

Moderate hike but amazing view at the point. Rough road going in though

Busy trail on weekends.