Whitaker Point Trail (Hawksbill Crag)

Whitaker Point Trail (Hawksbill Crag) is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Deer, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The trail's destination is the "Crag", a rock formation that juts out from the bluff's face that resembles a hawk's beak. It overlooks Whitaker Creek and a huge valley stretching for a long distance. but this is not all, in the spring and fall rainy season you can discover a number of waterfalls.

55 minutes ago

The road to get to the trailhead is rough and parking is limited but for the sights you encounter on this trail those are a small price to pay. Shining example of what the Natural State has to offer.

It rained during the entire hike but was pleasantly surprised how well the trees over the trail kept most of the rain from getting on us. Great trail for kids and adults, just wish the dirt road to the trail weren’t so bumpy/rocky and long!

Stunning stunning stunning! The views are worth it! Not kid friendly near the point. Little streams along the way that had some water flowing. A great hike!

Great trail, even before you get to the stunning views. Rocky and moderately taxing, but nothing crazy.

Love it

Was worried it would be hard to find, but GPS took us right there - it did called the gravel road off of Highway 21 County Road 5, but it appeared to be marked 9560. Lots of great reviews here that helped assure us we were going the right way. Also was worried from many reviews that it would be super busy and there would be no where to park on a nice, fall, Saturday afternoon. We were able to park right near the trail head though and had all the pictures we wanted at the crag within about 15 minutes. Overall the trail is pretty easy to follow. I agree with moderate difficulty rating, hardest part is the end coming back to the parking area. Waterfalls weren’t really much to see to right now - maybe another time of year would be better.

I am sharing this even though quite embarrassing in hopes someone else does not make the same mistake I did. The trail head is on the opposite of the road from the bulletin board. I wandered around the incorrect side for about 1.5 hrs convinced I saw not just 1 but 2 separate trails on the side of the road with bulletin board. The good news is due to that I got out to the crag much later and the rain had stopped allowing for much better views.

I loved this trail. Clearly marked... Provides great views... Easy enough, but not boring at all. If you are going on a nice day I would recommend getting a very early start, so you are not sharing the point with a lot of people. Because it is short with it big pay off it does get busy. Not that that is a bad thing, but it makes it hard to get photos.

The only down side to the trail was getting the the trail head. The road leading to it is gravel, and somewhat steep at the beginning of it. It does level out a bit, but that first part can be hard for certain vehicles to climb.

Trail provides incredible photo ops. Trail is difficult at times due to uneven ground. A few steep climbs but overall doable for beginner’s.

Great hike. The crag itself is iconic, but the views of the Buffalo Valley are spectacular. Just be prepared for a long, rocky drive up to the trailhead.

We arrived late morning...less people and more scenery for us to enjoy alone! After noon, the amount of people definitely picked up!

I enjoyed this hike minus all of the people. I originally planned on hiking the glory hole but I always bring my dogs so that trail wasn’t an option. The view was beautiful and the trail was busy with large groups of people. I don’t think I’ll go back, but it was a nice experience.

Our first hike since moving back to Arkansas. Beautiful day gorgeous scenery

Did this and Lost Valley Trail. If you are in the area and only plan to do one Trail, I would suggest Hiking Lost Valley Trail. It is much better.

Chose this trail because it was so highly reviewed. Truly don't know what everyone is raving about, must have just loved the photo opportunities it provides. Otherwise it's pretty pedestrian, real short (less than 2 hours), packed with people (to be fair, I was there labor day weekend). Not challenging

The views are totally worth it. Hike is decent but doable for all ages. Not as secluded as other trails, but a view I like any other! Very steep road to get there, recommend only a 4wd or similar vehicle. No bathrooms at the trailhead, so beware.

Went with a group of both experienced and beginner hikers and we had an amazing time! We "billygoated" the second half of the trail making it longer, but totally worth it! lots of amazing views. the trail is clearly marked. It was our first trail over labor day! Took us 45 minutes to get out once we hit the top with lots of breaks for the newbie. We went at sunset. would have been great to Sleep out and see the sky.

Loved it!!! Drove down for a day trip and saw this #1 on “All Trails” and trip advisor. Definitely should be the top trail you do first in the Ozarks. With a really moderately easy hike, the pay off is completely worth it! It’s a little slip in places but only 1.25 miles or so there which will pass by so quickly. The view and pictures are amazing. Bring a little water as it gets humid but I didn’t have any bugs. Later in the day had less crowds but roads getting in are a bit poor and there’s no cell phone reception much of the way there so plan it out first, grab a map, or set up your gps before your in the canyon valley and know your way in and out back to town so if it’s getting dark your not lost. Definitely worth it! Easy enough for beginners as long as they’re careful on rocks, still would wear hiking shoes but people were out there in sandals managing. Thanks Arkansas!

Cool place.

YES!!! This hike is a must!!! We did this hike with our 4 sons ages 6-11. They did fine. Pack water and good hiking shoes. Check out the pictures! I would suggest stopping at the cemetery on you drive in. The Whitaker’s are buried there. Kinda cool. They lived in he 1830’s.

The view is like none other! Can’t wait to come back with more family members and friends!

Such a beautiful view from the crag- definitely one of this most peaceful and amazing places I have ever been. There are no restrooms near the trail head, so make sure you use them before you head to the trail. The drive to the trail head is VERY steep and on a narrow dirt road, so be on the lookout for other cars on your way up & down. Fairly easy hike, with a few steeper hills. We went on a weekday morning at 9:00 and there was no one on the trail!

Awesome hike! A little rocky along the way but overall a good trail. Read the reviews and watch for markers as it looks like some may have gone off the path. Saw many kids and older adults hiking and also dogs. The views are so worth it when you get to the top. Make sure your phone or camera is ready!

I absolutely loved this trail. The view is absolutely spectacular and worth the short hike it takes to get there.

I would advise you to wear hiking boots, though. The entire trail is loose/upright rocks that’ll surely trip you up.

Also, keep a close eye out for little orange triangles, they indicate the main trail and keep you on track. There are plenty of little side trails people have created that can confuse you when you get closer to the cliff.

Amazing trail! Surprisingly we didn’t get lost and we thought we would.. just make sure you follow the markers on the trees. It’s a really steep hill going down at first and of course really steep going back up but when you get to the top it is AWESOME!

Trail is steep going in and includes switchbacks. However, not too bad when you get past that. Beautiful vista point, and definitely one of the best/coolest pictures you'll ever take of yourself on that lookout point.

The only advice I have is to make sure and follow the orange triangles especially on the way back. Also use the bathroom in the town nearby because there are none by the trailhead. Overall, amazing hike and incredible view!! Loved how smooth the trail was! Definitely would recommend checking it out.

The views were awesome! We went during the week and saw very little traffic.

This was a trail recommended to us for the hike and views. We took the hike and were blown away by the views. Absolutely beautiful and peaceful. We went On a Saturday just before noon. There were not as many hikers as other reviews said. Highly recommend this hike. It’s a must see at the end of the trail.

Great little trail. Super easy and relaxing. Nice view at the end.