Fall Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only €14.99
Get Started

West Mountain Trail

West Mountain Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 354 feet Route Type: Loop

Not much for scenic views but a nice trail. About a quarter mile in I startled a white-tail doe which was fun.

Really enjoyed this hike. Was shaded but still able to feel the breeze. Beauty all around. Our dog loved it! Even saw wildlife.

Great hike on West Mountain. there is plenty of shade, but there are enough openings for a breeze.

Accessed this trail via Whittington Trail. I ended up adding to my hike to take in the views and am glad I did- 4 miles, total. Moderate inclines at times, but definitely a comfortable walk. The trail is wide and well-maintained.

Did it with my 4 year old and 18 month old on my back, challenging, but totally doable!

Trail map was different than actual trail. Just a simple walk. no views.

Great trail for a quick afternoon hike! Well-maintained, wildlife and managed to see leaves before all had fallen.

Lovely, moderate hike. Well marked trails and beautiful scenery.

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Completed this trail today just as others have stated by combining the Oak, Canyon and small part of Sunset. All in all I ended up with 4 miles with all of those add ins. This has been my most enjoyable hike so far in Hot Springs. Trails were wide, easy to follow and good footing for the most part.

Sunday, July 08, 2018

For our first hike at a national park we did well. It was nice to be on West Mountain and in nature. A good workout after all of the food we ate in Hot Springs! Just a little over 2 miles and one hour.

Sunday, July 01, 2018

hiked this trail along with mountain top, whittington, oak, and canyon, very nice trail, some ups and downs but the easiest walk of the set I did today, clean well used, pretty scenery

Monday, June 25, 2018

Beware of ticks!!!!!!! With a 40% Deet liberally applied, I removed 17 after this trail. Trail was clearly marked and lots of deer.

Friday, February 09, 2018

Great trail for a quick 45 minute hike with good views of the city. Easily accessible and worth your time. Some light elevation will get your heart rate up enough to consider it a good workout.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

My GF and I did this trail after having a light meal in town. offers a great view of the city.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The part of the trail I walked on was pretty. But all the traffic noise rose up from the town. I think there are quieter hikes in Audubon Park and City Park in New Orleans. Second I didn't finish the hike because the signs confused me. I was probably just confusing myself, so that might not be a problem for anyone else.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

I loved this trail, you have awesome views of the city and beautiful scenery to walk through. We hiked it with four kids aged 5-15 and they all had a great time. Some of the signs were spray painted black so you couldn't see the trail markers but common sense is all you need. It took us about an hour with a few breaks on the benchs the park had throughout the trail.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

This is a good trail, easy to follow and well marked. I would not consider it to be easy at all. Moderate is more like it. All in all it's a good trail.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

More like moderate. There are some tough switch backs that don't show up on this map.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Very nice trail. Easy and clear paths

Monday, February 29, 2016

Awesome trail! Kind of steep but beautiful every step of the way. We came across several small chipmunks that scampered all over the place. Too cute! It took us about an hour and didn't see anyone else until we were almost done.

Monday, September 14, 2015

My daughter and I enjoyed it as our first hike celebrating this great weather. Looking forward to more. We started on Prospect and came out in central, and walked downtown back to prospect. Just hard and long enough. It took us one hour.

Thursday, April 02, 2015

The trail is lovely and starts at one of the most scenic views in. Hot Springs. From the overlook, the first five tenths of a mile is fairly flat and easy. Good for people with mobility issues. Toward the back part, it connects with a more challenging trail, and has some rocks and becomes moderately steep. You can use the back section to connect the two sections and make the full loop. Once you get over the top of the mountain there are a few switchbacks and it flattens out again. Great for kids! Full loop estimated at just over 2 miles.