Wedington Hiking Trail

Wedington Hiking Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Siloam Springs, Arkansas that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is NOT kid friendly - many fallen trees, steep drops next to the lake, a lot of thick brush, and 1/4 mile on a busier rural highway with no shoulder.

Otherwise enjoyed - I just want families who bring kids on it to know that it won’t be easy.

The trail started out beautifully but then about a fourth of the way through the trail was so overgrown and I had a little kid with me I didn't feel safe going through it.

We came out here for the first time and have been pleasantly surprised. We are camping out here and were looking for a peaceful, relaxed trip which is exactly what this campground and trail have to offer. This 3.5 mile trail winds around the lake, takes you by the swimming and recreational area (where you can rent canoes, kayaks, etc- has a snack shack, too, with food and snocones!), has a gazebo outlook, then toward the end takes you by a small waterfall. Tips: 1- after the waterfall, the trail starts up on the other side from where you enter-the trail gets pretty bushy here, so your best bet is to climb the rock wall right there and meet the trail back up at the end of the wall. 2- next obstacle is the trail ending when you come to the road- you find it again after about .2 mi down the road, but the road is pretty curvy and dangerous with traffic. You might ask a ranger if they know if there's a hidden trail that part of the way.

Really pretty hike by Lake Wedington. We started from Hwy 16, went up to the gazebo overlook then headed back. The gazebo overlook wasn't much, too many trees in the way but the trail itself is nice and well-kept.

This is a beautiful trail to hike and a great trail for my little one!! BUT when I tried to run the entire loop about halfway through it meets the road and I had no clue what to do from then on. There are no trail markers or signs indicating you should just follow the road so I just turned back around and went the way I came in. I really wanted to get around the entire lake though...

MAY 3 UPDATE: About half the trail is inaccessible due to the recent heavy rains and flooding. The trail is roped off near the waterfall, as it's been washed out/is under water in parts. The waterfall is going like gangbusters, though, and if you're in the area, you should come take a gander!

The trail is open again, but it's not the same now. The logging that closed the trail seemed to be mainly cutting down trees, but not removing them, and it's a mess. They also cleared all the brush and trees away from the power lines, which I understand, but so much of the what you see as you hike is now bare.

I have hopes that this summer's growth will cover up a lot of the ugly spots, and/or that the park will come in to tidy up a bit. The trail is still pretty nice; I might be less disappointed if I hadn't seen it before. I'll go back in a few months and see how it's shaping up, but I might be taking this one off my "go-to" short hikes list.

Nice trial if you're new to hiking or want to bring kids along. Fisherman use it frequently. Has a waterfall (runoff off the lake) and a switchback trail along the side of it. Could see how it would be nice during the summer with a breeze off the water. It is an out and back right now because there is a gate at the turn around saying the second part of the trail is closed.

the trail is posted as CLOSED due to logging. I was able to bypass it by going around the other side of the lake. however I would not recommend that.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

do not take the hike that is not on the lake side. it is pretty in its own way but no creeks no nothing

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

came during fall and beautiful trail. Easy to walk. :)

Monday, October 10, 2016

Make sure to start the trail at the beginning of the lake and not in the actual rec center. Like the person below me said, it's $5 if you start in the rec center but free if you start outside that area.

Monday, October 10, 2016

I was not clear on the location of the trailhead either, then discovered a nifty use for the AllTrails app: when you think you're near it, go into the app to record your hike (it won't start recording yet, don't worry). It will bring up a GPS map showing the trailhead and also where YOU are. Turns out we had to drive about a 1/4 mile back the way we came. I wish I had known this a few weeks ago!

The trail is easy, level, and has great views of the lake, and lots of wildlife. The waterfall was just a trickle today, but lovely nonetheless. This would be a prime hike for fall colors in a few weeks, or for unobstructed views in winter. Otherwise, it's a pleasant jaunt in the National Forest, fun with a dog, and more than worth the short drive if you live in Fayetteville or other nearby town.

Some clarification: access to the Recreation Area is not allowed before 10am, they do ask for $5 from you for use of the area, and your dog is not welcome. *** The trail is NOT in the recreation area *** so none of these strictures apply.

Monday, September 26, 2016

where's the trail head again?... Little lost at first but found it.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Nice walk on a quiet lake. It costs $5 if you start in the park and it opens at 10 am closes at 8pm. About half way along the trail there is a neat waterfall that's about 20 feet high that makes a nice cool place to stop and take a drink.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Waterfall was cool. Lake view for most of the hike as well. There was a disappointing amount of random trash along the trail.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Beautiful scenery and waterfall.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

The waterfall alone makes the hike, a relatively easy one, worthwhile. Aside from that, not too much to see, but still a pleasant stroll.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

nice tral and well marked or easy to follow. if your looking for piece and quite ,besides the sounds of nature, this not your kinda trail. you will also encounter a fisherman or two but all seem friendly. give it 3 stars.

Sunday, May 01, 2016