War Eagle Trail

War Eagle Trail is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Huntsville, Arkansas that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Directions from Huntsville: Travel five miles north on Arkansas Hwy. 23 until you reach the Withrow Springs State Park.

Trailhead and parking a little confusing. Park in gravel lot by bridge, trail goes under bridge.

Wow. Just gorgeous. It's a short, easy hike with some steep up (or down, depending). Lots of slick rocks, but nothing you can't handle with some care. The views of the creek and the surrounding woods/pasture are breathtaking, even on a cloudy, drizzly day.

I was accompanied by a fearless, overly-energetic mountain goat on a leash (i.e. my dog), and he heard the words "Wait" and "EASY!" a lot. And even though he is a very good boy, there were several opportunities for him to go hurting off the bluff into the creek. I'd consider a leash for any children on this hike too!

The directions here on the site will take you into the park, which is fine. We started on the other end of the trail, though. There's a sign on 23, right after you cross over the creek, for War Eagle Trail Parking. Turn left at that sign, and turn left immediately (going straight takes you to campsites). Park by the Information sign, and take the little trail that runs under the bridge. You'll come to a sign for the trailhead. This works well, because you can easily continue on to the Dogwood trail loop, then head back on War Eagle trail to your car.

Great trail for being so short. The cave is closed to protect the bats from White Nose Syndrome. There is a safety cable to protect you from falling at one point, it is too lose and should not be trusted.

Beautiful hike, but the signage to the entrances are not very good. Although labeled as moderate, there are some very steep inclines on rather slippery terrain. Well worth the effort!

Great little hike that's not too far from Fayetteville (only about half the distance as the Buffalo River Trails).
Loved the pasture views from the top. Definitely go in the morning or evening if you want good photos. Will definitely hike again with friends and beginners.

Nice trail with great views. Wear proper footwear. Can be very slick in some areas.

The beautiful views were worth the trek to the top. It was slippery down at the bottom when you first get started, and the incline is pretty intense. But the whole thing is not very long and the views are great. If you continue on the Dogwood Trial, be sure to bring a map. We went the wrong way and ended up out on the highway and had to walk it back. Would not recommend that part!

For a short, quick trail in NWA... I am giving this one a 5 star. I wasn't expecting too much for this trail, but I ended up getting two scenic spots that made the trip worth it. I love the bluffs over the river 1/2 way up the trail. The water looks fun, and if I had my swimming suit I can imagine spending more time here. The overlook at the top was more than I had imagined. I was completely impressed. The trail ends at Highway 23. You are supposed to turn around and hike back down. I chose to walk down Highway 23 back to my car. This was my 4th event on July 18. In addition to this trail... I also hiked Shaddox Hollow Trail, visited War Eagle Mill and toured the War Eagle Cavern ALL on the same day.

Went on this hike with my wife and two friends. They all enjoyed the swimming at the bridge and about 3/4 up the trail. The trail was an easy hike and it was amazing to see how high the creek had got from our past rains. Plan on making a return trip to this location and explore the other trails in the park as well.

Hiked this trail in late March on an unfortunately rainy day but still enjoyed myself. The rocks in certain areas were very slick because of the rain and the trail was muddy in some spots. The view at the top of the trail, looking out over the river, is incredible. The cave at the bottom near the river was closed. I believe it has something to do with the bats and White-nose Syndrome. All-in-all a great trail!

We did this trail in Jan. We have five children and they did fine but it is extremely narrow in many areas. Additionally if its wet you will need good grip shoes because there are narrow areas with rock which would be slippery. All n all, great river views, short hike, and take time to walk to the edges and just look at the rock formations along the river! We did not do the trail from the trailhead we did it from the end. Dogwood trail is directly at the end you can loop through it and come back or as we did stopped for lunch and then did it. There is also other trails in the park. I recommend checking out their trail maps we kept busy .

Pretty good hike...have to watch the drop offs and the narrow trail at times. There is a pretty good geocache on this trail as well if you do that :)

I was a bit worried that this trail wouldn't be as interesting since I was hiking it in the winter, but those views of the river were absolutely amazing! I'm sure its even more beautiful in the spring or fall especially, but it's definitely a great winter trail as well!

A really pretty hike! If you sit down by the river and wait a while, you might see kayakers paddling by. The little cave is closed because of an effort to protect the bats. Several cave populations of bats have been getting a fungus that disturbs them from their winter hibernation, and then they starve to death, since they wake up to early... So the closed cave is to help prevent this from spreading...