Twin Falls via Sandstone Castle Trailhead

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(29)
Richland Creek Wilderness

Twin Falls via Sandstone Castle Trailhead is a 11.3 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pelsor, Arkansas that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April.

Distance: 11.3 km Elevation Gain: 462 m Route Type: Out & Back

cave

If you want to see Twin Falls after a lot off rain and you feel like you can't get in from Richland Creek Campground, this is the trail you want. It will take you through the famous Sandstone Castles, downhill, and bring you right to the middle of the top of the falls. There is an established campsite at the top of the falls and you can make your way across the two forks and down to the bottom for a spectacular view. There is also camping at Sandstone Castle and many people pitch there tents inside the caves there. It is mostly downhill all the way to the falls so be be prepared to climb all the way back out.

Took my sons on an overnight backpacking trip. This was our first trip together like this. We had a difficult time finding the trailhead and where to park. There’s a not-so-obvious pull off on the gravel road where you’re supposed to park. Once we found the trail it was pretty easy to stay on trail but it’s winter and I couldn’t imagine staying on trail in warmer months! We set up our tent in the largest of the caves and it was a super quiet night. The next day we hiked down to the falls. Pretty steep climb down for younger hikers. Actually, they did better than I did but my nerves were a little shot. In hindsight, we should’ve stayed at the falls. There were established campsites there and the sound of the falls would’ve been so nice to sleep to. Beautiful terrain and scenery. I would hike this again.

This trail is defiantly one you should take during winter. it would be totally over grown in summer months. it's 7 miles out and back. There's only 2 sections if this hike that highlights it in two small sections. other than that theres is nothing in between them but wooded areas. Very pretty. I honestly wouldn't do the hike again. I liked it but didn't love it. just a FYI...... There are wild hogs out there. I didn't see them but you could see where they have torn up places along the trail

Today we hiked the Twin Falls via Sandstone Castle Trail near Mount Judea Arkansas. This trail is located in the Richland Creek Wilderness. The trailhead is unmarked other than a cairns and a small pull off area where you can park alongside the road.  The trail is not blazed and is somewhat overgrown in areas. Keeping track of the trail in the summer when the leaves are on might be difficult. Despite that, this was a great hike! The trail features the Sandstone Castle area and the Twin Falls. Along the way, as you hike down the ridge, it offers many great views of the surrounding area.  AllTrails rates this trail as moderate difficulty. Amanda and I thought the trail was fairly easy, especially from the road to the Sandstone Castle. From there you descend down to the creek and the falls. Some of it is very steep and makes for slow going. The views of the falls makes it all worth it though. When you get to the falls you are on the top side. We found a way to cross to the right and there is a trail that will get you to the creek and below the falls. While down there you can actually go in behind them. There are several great camping sites along the trail. The Sandstone Castle area has several shelter caves that would be awesome to camp in. We hiked about 8 miles with the added excursions below the falls and around. All in all, we highly recommend this hike!

October 12th 2019- I’m giving this trail 4 stars because I loved it but even as an experienced hiker I got lost multiple times. The only thing that saved me is the map on this app with the real time blue marker. I think there’s confusion as to whether it’s 7 or 14 miles total but I believe it’s 7 in and 7 out. I only hung out at the falls for 30mins and I average two miles per hour, and I was out there for 7 hours. There were a couple ticks but nothing latched on. My dog was able to do this hike as well. The caves are pretty cool and able to be camped in. If you continue on past the caves you’ll come out on top of the falls. I plan to go the other route so I can come out on bottom of the falls. I couldn’t find a safe route for my dog and I to get down. Overall great hike and we enjoyed it.

Really great trail with great views, it is a little tricky finding the trail head but if you walk along the edge of the woods across from the parking spot you will spot it heading up the hill. The 5 miles from the road to the caves is really easy going you can cover this in 2-2-1/2 hours easily, however the last 1-3/4 to the falls is way steeper and more challenging so be prepared for that. The caves are great to camp in and we didn’t have to fight the bugs to bad just stayed covered in good bug spray and they didn’t bother us at all. Also if it has not rained lately there is no water at the caves, closest water to the caves will be roughly 2 miles to the river so prepare for that.

Tricky to find the trail head. No signs. Trail is over grown and lots of down logs in path. Few muddy patches. Lots of shade tho and the waterfalls were beautiful but also very tricky ending... didn’t realize we would be on top of the waterfalls so the views were unexpected. Unable to get pics in front of them. The caves along the way were pretty cool to explore. Few hikers too so camping would be secluded and fun near the falls. Bring lots of bug spray and check frequently for ticks!! They are hungry. Pretty flowers and the dogwoods and red bud trees were blooming. Very pretty. Possible poison ivy too. Wear long pants and sleeves too. Stay on trails as much as possible to avoid it. I only recorded short segments of the hike because I didn’t want to drain my phone battery for this long hike.

Sat Feb 09 2019

Tue Nov 20 2018

Richland Creek is our fave!

Mon Oct 29 2018

This is an amazing trail. Rated as moderate but the last 1.5 miles from Sandstone Castle where we made camp in the caves, to the falls I would rate as hard. The ascent to the falls is steep and very rocky so watch your footing and be prepared to climb back out. Great trail though and we had no issues staying on it.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Richland creek is a premiere area in Arkansas. This is one of the best in the state.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Loved seeing the Falls and Sandstone Castle, which is why I chose this trail. Would urge caution, as the trail is poorly marked and barely visible at times. I would consider this trail Hard rather than Moderate. When lost, the map is fairly accurate, so with the aid of a compass you will hopefully be able to find the trail (but I had my doubts at times). Also, suggest arm and leg covering attire as the trail is overgrown in many spots.

Sat Mar 23 2019